Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • IOS Walking Apps
  • jolmes
    Free Member

Seeking some assistance from the hive mind. I’m Looking for some walking apps that i can upload gpx files to or create my own routes. OS Maps is great but having to buy each area is vastly expensive, we use the walking englishman quite a lot so having something that’s compatible with those routes would be good.

Alternatively, can i just upload the gpx files to my Garmin 520 and follow that?

johndoh
    Free Member

No idea if it would suit but I use the Strava Map making app for running routes (although I don’t use them for on the fly directions, just plotting/measuring).

thecaptain
    Free Member

I use outdoorsgps, mostly just as a map but it has route generation/up/downloading too.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

OS Maps is great but having to buy each area is vastly expensive

I use OS maps and pay £25 a year subscription to get the whole of the UK in 1:25k and 1:50k, I’ve not needed to buy any maps.

madhouse

Not used it in a few years but not sure if the Motion-X gps app does it?

GrahamS

ViewRanger surely?

http://www.viewranger.com/en-GB

jimdubleyou

OS Maps is great but having to buy each area is vastly expensive

I use OS maps and pay £25 a year subscription to get the whole of the UK in 1:25k and 1:50k, I’ve not needed to buy any maps.[/quote]

If you buy it on the website, it’s only £19.99.

Which is the same price as outdoorsgps. I don’t think they are interchangeable so I would pick the app you like best.

My outdoorsgps sub has expired so I’m wondering if there’s anything a) cheaper or b) better.

So far not found any reason to change and will probably re-do my sub.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Cheers Jimdubleyou, worth knowing.

jolmes
    Free Member

Managed to get a free trial with OS maps of their premium service so will see what that is like this sunday. Thanks all

CountZero

Viewranger.
    You don’t have to pay a subscription, you buy credits which allow you to buy and download map tiles for a particular area you might be interested in/visiting at 1:50/25k.
    Once you’ve purchased those tiles, they’re yours. Been using it for years, I bought a DVD of the whole UK at 1:50k for £150 when I had a Nokia N95, which was crap, but when Viewranger finally produced an iOS app I put the entire set of UK maps onto my phone/pad and I’ve been adding 1:25k tiles to it ever since.
    Currently being used on my fifth phone, including the original Nokia, and those maps are all mine, with access to walking routes from other sources as well, should I want them, although I just use it as a map source for my own walks.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I use Viewrnger (works abroad too for simple mapping and gpx tracks) plus OS Map subscription which is great as you get desktop access too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Also you can use bikehike.co.uk for planning and upload to viewranger, fyi I don’t pay for extra maps in that just use the standard ones.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘IOS Walking Apps’ is closed to new replies.