Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Vauxhall vivaro, Renault Trafic options
  • colournoise

2l TVPs have chains.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Probably raging that your side windows don’t leak like theirs too

Too true 🙂

nasher
    Free Member

Vivaros are a nice van and should be ideal for what you are looking for, All vans have their problems and T5’s more than most!!

BUT

I have a 2.5 T5 and its just gone past 250k miles for a 2008 van.

Other than a couple of wheel bearings, a clutch and consumable items, nothing, and i mean nothing went wrong until I reached 230k. It then had an overhaul, new bushes droplinks etc.. new bigger turbo, intercooler, driveshaft, gearbox bearing, it still drives like the brand new T6 I tried the other day.

The bodywork has a few scrapes and dings but the interior is sturdy and rattle free…I hope to get an other 100k out of it…

The T5/6’s are overpriced, but I like them, and other brands make more sense but if I went past a T5 in a vivaro I will always wish I had one.. they are after all the new mid life crises van and I’m now in my 40’s

codybrennan
    Free Member

I have a 2.5 T5 and its just gone past 250k miles for a 2008 van.

When you get a good one they are great vans, no question.

spooky_b329

Vader…a quick google suggests the Vivaro and siblings have a 2 ton tow limit…I’ve not looked up twin axle trailers but I’d expect them to weigh about 800kg. If you are literally sticking a ton of stone on the trailer, it would be best to avoid FWD if you have the choice.

You might be better getting a RWD Transit, probably a 330 or 350, I think they’ll pull around 2500-2800kg depending on engine and axle ratio. (not a wimpy 260 or 280, some can only pull 750kg)

rascal
    Free Member

F*ck fckity f*ck!
    Tracking a 2.5 VW T30 on Fleabay to the point where I’m hoping to test drive it on Sat.
    04 plate with 116K miles but had loads done under the bonnet etc as well as being ready for bikes and beds.
    Really not sure what to do now! 🙄

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I got my t5 at 52k. Now on 165k. Driven gently, never loaded, never short journeys.

It’s needed
    Gear cables reattached twice.
    Two sets of brake discs.
    A radiator.
    An intercooler.
    A turbo.
    Shocks front and rear.
    A clutch and dmf.
    Two sets of tyres.
    Tailgate lock.
    Door locks
    A battery.
    Multiple drop links etc

It’s a money pit.

timber

Vader – our current Land Rover is just a 2.2, but still pulls everything we hitch behind it, pretty sure we are at 3.5ton with tractor on the trailer. Very similar engine in a lot of the Transits.

As Spooky mentions, I’d favour rwd for towing. Trailer weights, our 12′ is 700kg and 16′ tilt bed is 900kg.
    Economy models also often have taller gearing which results in lower tow weights.

Struggle to see the value in Transporters, no better or worse than any other van.

spooky_b329

Agree Timber, engine size is not everything. My Iveco is 3500kg, will tow another 3500kg (so thats 7000kg) and its just a 2.3l 126bhp engine. No low ratio box either, although first is getting close to a crawler gear.

P.S Stuart…thats not so bad for 110,000 miles?!

A lot of those are consumables!

trail_rat
    Free Member

It’s an expensive list though my biggest gripe with vw is the cost of parts. It’s just stupid how much commonly needed parts cost.

Fwiw I run 2 French vans over 10years old And a 30 year old land rover. Not got a list that long for all three in my ownership across 200k miles in my owner ship and 450k on the clocks (since I put the landy back on the road after 28years of abuse and a driveway rebuild)

Wouldn’t have a vw anything again.

superdan

Just rolled over 230,000 on my 56 plate Trafic this weekend, use it as a daily driver and bike van, had aftermarket Cruise control fitted. I’ve put 120,000 on it in 4 years. Other than a blown alternator a few years back, and a recon box (£800) last Christmas the rest has been standard consumables, tires etc.

Still averages 38mpg unless its totally laden down. Great, no rust unlike the Transits I had before.

jturn71

I have a 2.0dci 115ps 62 plate lwb trafic. Bought as a standard van 18 month old ex-hire. It cost me £1100 to fit 2 rear windows, a rear seat out of a trafic minibus that folds and had the roof lined. The van is mainly used for my work as a plasterer/builder so I have the same issue with a bulkhead, I need to be able to get long ladders, scaffold boards etc in the back so decided to do a diy conversion. It also pulls our 6 berth caravan on holidays & occasionally a large twin axle trailer carrying building materials. I guess it has quite a hard life really. I’m thinking of changing it this year before it gets too high mileage, but can’t decide what to go for. I definitely would prefer something with more power for towing & I believe vw t5/t6 will pull 2.5 tons compared to 2 ton for the trafic/vivaro & transit customs. Not sure I can justify spending £20k+ though!

legend
    Free Member

It’s a money pit.

You missed your leaky windows too 😉

spacey

Garry – you asked about seats/beds on the last page, Kiravans are a good place to start they have the Rib seats which are very nice but pricey. It depends what you want, if you are planning to have people travelling on them they need to be crash tested which adds ££££. Another less spendy option is JAC campers they do a range of crash tested ones for under £1000. If you don’t want them to convert to a bed I’m sure there are much cheaper options, like getting seats from old minibuses, although that’s not a route I went down.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s a money pit.

There’s good and bad stories about every vehicle out there, my mate has spent so much money on his vivaro he feels chained to it now – 2 new gearboxes in 2 years and multiple injector failures being the main highlights.

T5 frinstance – people are either fierce defenders, or haterz with very few exceptions. If mine starts giving issues like those listed above, I’ll flog it, cos I won’t lose much.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Here’s my JAC campers RnR bed. Its been great. Crash tested- I think it was about £900.

I opted not to get the base of it boxed in, just for the advantage of shoving things underneath it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

looking good cody.

colournoise

superdan – Member
    Just rolled over 230,000 on my 56 plate Trafic this weekend, use it as a daily driver and bike van, had aftermarket Cruise control fitted.

Of you don’t mind me asking, how much did the aftermarket CC cost?

rascal
    Free Member

I’m at a crossroads as far as getting a van goes now.
    Thinking a 2.5 T30 might be a bit too much of a grunty van esp after hearing about one being described as a ‘money pit’ – I do not want a money pit whatever I go for. Having said that I want a VW – getting anything else I know I’d wish down the line I’d got one instead of a Vivaro etc – they might make more sense but I guess buying anything like that is a bit of a lottery 😕

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I like that conversion Cody, and Id like to do something similar, but what do you do with bikes?.

spacey

My conversion is very similar to that above and unfortunately the bikes have to go on the tow bar rack. In an ideal world there would be space inside but not possible to do everything in a van this size. If you want bikes inside and space for beds you need to go for XL vans with a garage at the back. There is an awesome thread on a conversion like this, I’ll see if I can find it….

spacey

big van conversion
    It’s a cracking read!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, sounds about right.

Tbh the van spends more time as a bike day van than it ever would as a camper, and I ain’t putting the bikes on the outside. So I’ll stick with what I have – Go outdoors campbed with a single mattress on top and a 14 tog duvet, proper toasty and incredibly comfy!.

codybrennan
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    looking good cody.

Cheers TR.

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    I like that conversion Cody, and Id like to do something similar, but what do you do with bikes?.

I’ve got a Fiamma rack on the tailgate, NBITF. Not the best solution if you’ve got nice bikes, I know, but it had to be a ‘family’ camper, so I couldn’t force the issue re a bike garage at the back.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve got a Fiamma rack on the tailgate, NBITF. Not the best solution if you’ve got nice bikes, I know, but it had to be a ‘family’ camper, so I couldn’t force the issue re a bike garage at the back.

Yeah, understand, gotta compromise and prioritise. Happy camping matey!.

garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge …. The camp bed in the back sounds like a decent option and as you say allows more regular use for carrying bikes, skis, kayaks, dogs, etc…

When I get the van it’ll be used for Easter, Summer and Winter holidays in the hills of Scotland and Europe so that way of doing the bed sounds the most flexible to me.

Does that make insurance cheaper too, as it wouldn’t really need modified. Does putting insulation in the walls and roof count as modification for insurance?

revs1972
    Free Member

Cheers Scotroutes

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Garry – When I told my insurance co about my mods – windows, remap, it really didn’t make any difference to the cost.

However, if you do a proper conversion in compliance with licencing requirements to convert to camper – windows, seats, bed, water and cooking kit – then I am told insurance goes down. And obv, you can then drive at 70 instead of 60 on roads that allow.

Insulation and suchlike wasn’t a mod with my insurance co. – Aviva.

superdan

superdan – Member
    Just rolled over 230,000 on my 56 plate Trafic this weekend, use it as a daily driver and bike van, had aftermarket Cruise control fitted.

Of you don’t mind me asking, how much did the aftermarket CC cost?

[/quote]

Was around £550 fitted 4 years back, I thought about it for a while, but couldn’t face a second trip to the alps and back that summer without CC, its been all good ever since. If you are anywhere near Cumbria drop me an email and I can send you the details of the chap.

MrGrim

codybrennan – Member

Do you think a small garage (wheels off) would fit in a LWB? Swithering between a LWB Vivaro/Trafic and a MWB Sprinter/Crafter. I like the idea of the having the smaller van so I can use it everyday, but having the bikes inside as well as a bed, hobs, sink etc is a big deal for me

scotroutes

I wouldn’t worry about the added length of a LWB. I was concerned until I actually drove one and now don’t notice the extra length. I doubt there’s enough room for a garage though – not unless you were prepared to dismantle the bike (which sort of defeats the point).

MrGrim

Happy to dismantle the bike(s) as it’s the security I’m looking for. The LWB Vivaro would be the smaller end of what I was looking for. The MWB Crafters and Sprinters are longer with the advantage of a height so I could build a raised double bed and place bikes in storage under it in the rear. The LWB Vivaro would be easier to live with daily I think.

paul4stones

Agreed. We have a LWB Trafic which is great. Not converted as a camper but I’ve built some ‘shelf’ bunks and four can sleep in it with all the kit, bikes, etc inside. Ours came with windows and a front two seat in the back and part bulkhead behind it. Think mountain bikers had had it before us. The only thing is it’s a bit low if you want to transport stuff which is disappointing when people ask you to move stuff because you have a van.

Towing – I towed a trailer with six Optimists on it from Weymouth to Northumberland and barely noticed it was there.

scotroutes

Yeah, a Long High TVP would be a better shape as you could build a bed platform over a low garage.

timber

Friend with the previous shape, boxy Transit can sleep sideways in the van at just over 6′. They have a sleeping platform from the back doors to the sliding door. Kitchen up front and bikes/kites/boards under the platform.

olddog

Not sure what your budget is, but I would have a look on Evans Halshaw for used Vivaros,loads of crew cabs with under 200 miles, so basically new, £16500 plus VAT up to about £18.5k plus vat depending on engine and spec. And as little as £12.5k plus VAT for a standard van

Andy

I really need to get my replacement van bought. Still humming between Transit Custom and TVP and undecided between SWB and LWB. I really want it to replace my car as well rather than running two lots of tax and insurance which is what I was with the old van.

spooky_b329

MrGrim; halfway through converting my second van. Both have been Iveco Hightops, 6 metres long and I think the internal length to the cab seats is 3.6m.

With some planning, you can get a sideways fixed bed with space for the bikes to go under (front wheels off minimum), small toilet room, two belted seats in the back, and a kitchen with large fridge and oven.

Go under 6 metres you’ll need to lose either the toilet or rear seats. Go over 6 metres and you’ll run into more aggro in supermarkets/ferrys.

PePPeR

My company may have 5 or 6 62 plate lwb Vivaro Sportives in black coming up for sale in 5 months time. All around the 100k mark and normally sell for about £3k.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Vauxhall vivaro, Renault Trafic options’ is closed to new replies.