Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • IOM end2end on a singlespeed?
  • ds3000
    Free Member

Am I crazy? I’m not that fit really, I’m knackered after Llandegla using 32-18, but its so long since I’ve used gears that I’m a little afraid of all the clicking and clanking.

druidh
    Free Member

It’ll be fine. Unless you are in the top 100 (invitation only), you’ll end up pushing up the hills along with everyone else anyway.

ds3000
    Free Member

I’m usually somewhere at the back along with Father Christmas.

Just looking at some youtube vids of it, looks great – really looking forward to it!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Apart from the road section at the beginning (IRRC 20 miles?) which could get pretty tiresome, its mostly up or down, so SS would be fine 🙂

You’ll be pushing up the first hill anyway, due to the snails pace traffic:

cynic-al
    Free Member

Druid-no, he’ll be at the back after not being able to keep up on the first 13 miles on road.

He’ll still be pushing up that first hill tho…and prob others.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

You’ll be fine Bonzo off here does it every year on his SS in around 4 hours and he’s so very old 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Unless you go flip-flop – road gear and off road gear. You’d need a fair step between them mind.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shame there’s no SS category…I’d give it a bash.

druidh
    Free Member

al – you have a point.

ds3000
    Free Member

I am a bit concerned by the disparity of pace between road and off-road sections, maybe dingle speed at the back, maybe a 20 and a 16. Is it just the first 13 miles that are road and then the rest mtb-ing?

druidh
    Free Member

There’s a wee bit of road work at the very end, but some of that is up a very sharp brae and by then you’ll not give a ****

JohnClimber
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Shame there’s no SS category

If there’s a SS category there should be a Fat Bike category

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

No, there is a drop of road in the middle, then a few mile at the end as well. Its just the first road section that’s the issue.

Its a great event, but if I was to do it again I’d probably run the gauntlet of the ire of the marshals and ride up via Ravensdale and Ballaugh Plantation. I hate having to walk up hills, especially if its just due to traffic.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

That traffic looks horrendous.I’ve entered it this year,last time I did the E2E was in 2006 & it was bad enough then with approx 600 entries.What’s the start like with 1700 all setting off?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

What’s the start like with 1700 all setting off?

Not a real problem if your fast enough to start near the front, hold your place and have good sharp elbows, worked for me in 2009 & 2010.

But last year I believe every one had a timing chip so it’s a shame everyone is still forced to start excatly at the same time. I don’t know why the riders can’t set off when they want in an hour open window.

Popocatapetl

Set of racing Ralph’s and you’ll be far enough ahead to ride straight up that fella!! If not shout “rider Yessir” and they’ll all move out of the way! terribly nice chaps those Manxies!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Does anyone else fancy riding to the start on the Saturday evening after registration and wild camping towards the start line*?

Then riding back to Douglas after the event?

*camping gear put on the van that transports the gearto the end

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Popocatapetl, Just been looking at the fastest rolling mtb race tyre thread!
    JohnClimber I’ll give the camping a miss.Not booked the ferry yet but planning on getting the monday morning boat,anyone else staying sun night?

doh
    Free Member

whoop whoop i’m in the pic up there.

druidh
    Free Member

You and 1,200 others 🙂

bonzodog
    Free Member

You’ll be fine Bonzo off here does it every year on his SS in around 4 hours and he’s so very old

Thats a bit harsh John. True, but harsh 🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d say 4 hours is pretty good on SS…how do you find the road section?

druidh
    Free Member

It’s just after the starting gate Al. Don’t you remember?

cynic-al
    Free Member

JohnClimber
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

I don’t know I can’t see Bonzo’s legs spinning from up the front end but I guess they are whirling like a mad whirly thing, or he’s been pulled to the foot of first hill by his son on a geared bike 😉

My goal it just to make sure I get up the last climb before he does.

boltonjon

I seen a handful of people last year on a singlespeed and they seemed to be going well

The first 12 miles is on the road and very quick, so i think you’ll be putting yourself at a major disadvantage

There is approx. 2 miles at the end on road, with about 1/2 a mile climb to the finish line – i’ve never been so thankful of my granny ring as on that last climb

I don’t know how they do it, but i swear the entire 45 mile course is about 1900 meters of climbing and about 20 meters descending

The 1700 riders is an issue, but really adds to the enjoyment event. My advice, get yourself up near the start, just behind the seeded 100 and make sure you finish in the top 100 so you get seeded next year

It worked for me last year!

If you can do it in under 4 hours, then you should just be in the top 100

Good luck!!

servo
    Free Member

Road section is the key to a good start, you may struggle to hold your position on singlespeed.

Easy to say get there early but I got stuck right in the middle of the scrum and crossed the start 3 minutes after the top 100.

Locked out the suspension and hammered the first 10 miles and just got in front of a big group just before the first off road climb.

Lots of my club members have entered this year but they will have to get in the scrum whereas I should be safe in the first 100.

I found the wet rocky climb about halfway after the football club the hardest.

Great event. Not what I expected at all.

boltonjon

Slui Whellan is a bitch of a climb!!

Us local people call it Witches Hill

Bloody good fun coming the other way!

bonzodog
    Free Member

Absolutely soul destroying if Im honest. Every year on the road section to Ballaugh I question why I do it. Nothing more demorolising than watching everyone zoom past you & leave you for dead. Once I hit Ballacob its actually a relief to be able to grind up & once through CP1 at the gate at the top I can get a lick on. Bostin.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I thought as much… 😛

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘IOM end2end on a singlespeed?’ is closed to new replies.