Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Interview….spec me a clothing style
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Right, I got advised by a postdoc not to wear a full on business suit for a research assistant job interview.

I am **** loathe to use the word smasual….but I want an outfit that looks smart and academic. Maybe with a bit of ’20s flare….that doesn’t make me look like a total prick.

I wan’t my interviewers to notice an attention to detail 😀 Also, as I’m semi broke and unemployed….nothing ridiculously expensive…..eg just stick to high street shop that aren’t Hugo Boss etc.

MrNutt
    Free Member

try the charity shops, anything of primarily differing colours should suit, avoid matching and accessorise. Also oversize is a popular option with todays smart young things.

rabriguez
    Free Member

Chinos. Shirt. Reasonably awesome jacket. Sign on the dotted line.

beefheart
    Free Member

Most people look like pricks in interviews, just accept it.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Oversize doesn’t suit me. In terms of matching, I’m assuming it’s still a good idea to match belt and shoes? 😛 Just different colour trousers/top?

I’m a boardwalk empire fan….and noticed this….anything smart a bit like this? (as in the sweater….no idea what it is…never worn one)???

Is a watch de rigueur?

Cletus

Do a recce and see what other people who do the same role there are wearing then go for the same but 20% smarter.

If you look like most other people there they hopefully will unconsciously think that you would fit in.

BoardinBob

Wear a suit. I’ve interviewed hundreds of people and I’ve never marked anyone down for wearing a suit but those that turned up in anything else automatically create the wrong impression for me. Wearing a suit has never been a requirement in any role I’ve recruited for, but a bit of effort at the interview stage goes a long way.

zippykona

When I worked in a garage we needed a junior.
    One of the prospects turned up in a suit. He got the job.
    He was **** useless and off his head all day on weed.
    He still got the job though.

cinnamon_girl

The most important thing is that whatever you wear make sure it’s clean and freshly pressed. Right down to your shoes.

Duffer
    Free Member

Freshly pressed shoes

Not one i’d go for, but perhaps it’s all the rage these days…?

As above, i’d just go in a suit. You can’t go wrong by dressing too smartly, in my opinion. Unless perhaps you turn up with a bowler hat.

GJP
    Free Member

A suit and tie, with good polished shoes.

Otherwise you will look like a **** when the other guy waiting for the same interview is wearing a suit, and alternatively when the other person is in a suit and you have dressed casually you will feel inferior. How do you know your interviewer will not be wearing a suit?

If you are 100% sure the latter possibilities are not the case then dress as you wish, but if that was the case you would not be asking on here in the first place, or so goes my logic.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Suit & Tie, ironed shirt and make sure it’s all clean…

Right, I got advised by a postdoc

or somebody without a proper job….

Merak

Doesn’t have to be a suit. If you ooze style like me you might throw together an off the cuff ensemble and still look like a Don.

Shirt and tie absolute minimum. No jeans, smart troos, clean shoes.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Research assistant. Don’t listen to anybody advising you not to wear a suit for an interview. Its bollocks.

Black suit, white shirt and neutral tie, black shoes. Basically nothing offensive. You are selling yourself, so be prepared to make an effort.

Its your first impression make it count.

bearnecessities

Not a black suit!!

Classic navy blue; the staple of a man’s wardrobe 😉

Drac

Wear a suit, beg, borrow or charity shop if money is an issue.

A suit always looks better.

zokes
    Free Member

Never interviewed anyone face-to-face (the tyranny of distance here in Oz), but a few applicants for the last job I was on the selection panel for appeared smart over Skype, before we told them not to bother with the camera (we weren’t smart!)

If it was a face-to-face, I’d probably expect a suit, or at least a smart shirt, trousers, and shoes. Certainly if it was between two candidates, and one had made the effort, all else being more or less equal, the suited one would get it.

I have never actually had a face-to-face interview in science myself (was given both my postdoc positions, and my PhD just sort of happened), but I did don a suit for my viva, which was appreciated.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Nothing worse than a black slightly shiny I’ll fitting suit, shirt that’s baggy round the waist (through ill-fitting or paunch), Paisley tie and pointy slightly scuffed shoes which let’s face it is yer average joes definition of ‘smart’
    I wold see that as a mark down rather than a plus, whatever you wear make it look like you made an effort and have an eye for detail, something that would translate into your attitude to work.
    instead of ‘I have no idea and I’ll go with what others do.’

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Okay, what about a light grey h&m suit instead of a horrible shiny black suit or should I stick to black at all costs?

TooTall
    Free Member

Black suit, white shirt

Not black. NEVER black. Dark blue? Yes. Grey? Yes. Brown? Yes. Not black.

If you get a more ‘classic’ suit, say from M&S, it will last you far longer and serve you better than something cheap and fashion-orientated.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Don’t wear a suit. Half the people who wear suits look shit in them anyway.

saxabar
    Free Member

Sorry to deviate, but reconsider the suit. Admittedly for an academic post in a Humanities faculty, but for my last presentation/interview I wore a blue lightly pin-striped suit (not quite as city square-mile as it sounds) and was told afterwards that it was negatively commented upon (although I got the job). The Boardwalk Empire look seems alright to me, but do up the tie and make sure everything is pressed.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Arghhhhh! *head explodes*

bearnecessities

Tom..

Suit – navy blue, well fitting. Doesn’t matter about cost; try a slaters, m&s or tk max. (You will be able to pick something up for under £150).

Shoes, classic, polished, not glossy though.

Shirt/tie – plain shirt, plain tie (minimising risk there!)

Wear it with confidence.

That’s all you need to know; good luck 😉

andypaul99
    Free Member

Not a black suit!!

Classic navy blue; the staple of a man’s wardrobe

Navy blue!!! LOL, they look terrible!! If you are over 60 then definately the navy without doubt – but seriously? Is anybody actually wearing navy blue suits these days?

P.S if you did want a navy one, i rekon a charity shop would be the best bet.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Hmmm, last interview I had, the shiny shoes got me the job. Senior New Boss was most impressed and given that Immediate New Boss also had shiny shoes and liked me I got the job. The rest of the interview revolved around motorbikes, racing yachts and curries.

This might say a lot for the quality of the staff on the railway.

bearnecessities

Navy blue!!! LOL, they look terrible!!

LOL!!! BRILLIANT! TROLL!!

If a man is to have a single suit in his wardrobe, as is the Op’s potential scenario, it should always be a well-fitting navy blue, single breasted suit.

To suggest anything otherwise, is just ignorance 😉

andypaul99
    Free Member

If a man is to have a single suit in his wardrobe, as is the Op’s potential scenario, it should always be a well-fitting navy blue, single breasted suit.

To suggest anything otherwise, is just ignorance

LOL!!! BRILLIANT! TROLL!!

thejesmonddingo

bear,on your part,yes.

cinnamon_girl

**Captain Flashheart to the Forum please. Sartorial advice and guidance needed.**

cinnamon_girl

A bloke can look dead sexy in a suit. 8)

crikey
    Free Member

A bloke can look dead sexy in a suit

Hey, settle down lass…

Everyone, even IT types, should have an FBI suit.

For Funerals, Bollockings and Interviews, and navy is an excellent choice.

Suit plus shirt and tie = smart
    Suit plus shirt = smart enough
    Suit plus plain round neck jumper = smart enough
    Suit plus roll neck jumper = Rick Astley
    Suit plus shoulder holster = James Bond

thejesmonddingo

My boy

got him his last job.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Just wear something smart that you feel comfortable. The other RA working on my project interviewed in jeans and t-shirt and got the job. Friend of mine did interview for a large technology company and said they preferred folk who didn’t wear suits, suited their ethos better. When he interviewed himself he wore chinos, nice shoes, shirt and sports jacket type thing I think. Smart, but no suit.

crikey
    Free Member

got him his last job

As a wind tunnel engineer? 😉

Sui
    Free Member

Could’ve cut his hair /\ 😉

thejesmonddingo

He’s only 18 bless.

ononeorange

Just how on earth can a candidate attract negative comments (further up) for wearing a suit at an interview for god’s sake?!!!! (Unless it really was awful / dirty / didn’t fit). I wouldn’t dream of attending an interview in anything less, and neither would most people.

MrSmith
    Free Member

got him his last job.

Despite the massive sartorial fail of doing the bottom button up

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Conservative suit every time. No silly ties, sock or shoes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Interview….spec me a clothing style’ is closed to new replies.