Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Interview….spec me a clothing style
  • tron
    Free Member

Wear a suit. Make sure it fits you. The biggest mistake people make is wearing a suit and shirt that is too big, and you end up looking a mess, or like you’ve borrowed your big brother’s clothes.

The theory goes that dark colours go down better, so go for charcoal or navy. Get a white, blue or pink shirt, and wear a tie that looks good with your outfit.

And wear decent shoes, and make sure they’re polished.

emsz
    Free Member

Wear a suit.

Where I work now, I did a year during my course (Textiles with Business, thanks for asking) They don’t wear suits, they pretty much all wear jeans and tees, went in a suit, with my folder with all my experience and certs and projects and stuff (which I’d completed mostly with them anyway, LOL

Still wore a suit, interview shoes, tights, shirt (the whole look)

MD said I was only the only one who bothered, and that it helped!!

zokes
    Free Member

Just how on earth can a candidate attract negative comments (further up) for wearing a suit at an interview for god’s sake?!!!!

Academia innit.

I have heard of some academics being very anti-suit.

peterfile
    Free Member

Navy blue!!! LOL, they look terrible!! If you are over 60 then definately the navy without doubt – but seriously? Is anybody actually wearing navy blue suits these days?

Brilliant 🙂

You been anywhere near business in the last, oh i dunno, few decades?

BigJohn

There’s nothing wrong in phoning and asking what candidates are expected to wear.

saxabar
    Free Member

Just how on earth can a candidate attract negative comments (further up) for wearing a suit at an interview for god’s sake?!!!!

Academia innit.
    I have heard of some academics being very anti-suit.

I think it depends on the faculty and type of department though. A suit after all is a means of conveying a message (as well as keeping you clothed) so the question is what type of message do you want to convey, bearing in mind to whom it is being communicated?

As I discovered afterwards, the suit in my interview context was inextricable from being business-like and corporate, and while this is usually fine for most interviews, it didn’t play well with the people I was presenting to (Humanities scholars). Perhaps one way of thinking about it is that the presentation/interview situation is a means for a department to get to know a candidate and as a suit for many is a ‘uniform’, this gets in the way of communicating what is individual and interesting about a person?

Also, phoning about what to wear seems like a bad idea, although do call about aspects of the job. After all, a key part of the job is self-reliance. The OP is doing the right thing – researching options and making informed judgements!

zokes
    Free Member

Also, phoning about what to wear seems like a bad idea, although do call about the aspects of the job. After all, as a key part of the job is self-reliance. The OP is doing the right thing – researching options and making informed judgements!

This is a fair point. Do you wish to convey the message that you don’t know how to dress yourself?

Pieface

I know that we have a very casual approach to clothing at work, but as an element of the role I went for was client facing I wore a suit.

Grey suit, navy blue tie, white shirt.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think he works in the funeral industry…

molgrips
    Free Member

So.. What’s wrong with a black suit?

andypaul99
    Free Member

Brilliant

No, i work on the bins. You?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

So.. What’s wrong with a black suit?

black is a very ruthless colour, especially teamed with pure white. This strong contrast creates an air of authority and can put distance between the interviewer and yourself (think of a policeman uniform).

see here : http://www.positivelysmart.co.uk/colour-guide-to-interview-dress.html

Unless the job is at an undertaker’s, don’t wear a black suit. Grey and navy are much less severe and much more forgiving on most skin tones.

see : http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/style/how-to-dress/how-to-dress-job-interview

peterfile
    Free Member

No, i work on the bins. You?

If you do actually work on the bins, fair play to you for managing to establish yourself as STW’s resident sartorial expert

andypaul99
    Free Member

If you do actually work on the bins, fair play to you for managing to establish yourself as STW’s resident sartorial expert

Yes, impressive isn’t it.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a black suit, I rarely wear it with a white shirt though.

peterfile
    Free Member

Please don’t buy a black suit

TIP: YOUR FIRST SUIT SHOULDN’T BE BLACK

We get a lot of questions about style around these parts, but perhaps the most common comes from guys just starting out in the adult world: “What color should my first suit be?” Reasonable inquiry. Here’s where it gets unreasonable: Most of these guys assume that black is the best choice. It’s not. Black suits are for waiters, funeral directors, and guys who are on their way to lose in court. If you’re not one of those things, don’t buy a black suit.

Your first suit should be navy. Or, if you insist on a color other than navy, charcoal. Your second should be whichever of those two colors you didn’t choose for your first. And your third? Something a little different, with a pattern, or some texture (plaids, stripes, herringbones, and the like). But it still shouldn’t be black. Trust us. Or ignore us. Either way. Just don’t blame us when table two asks you to hurry up with those entrees next time you’re out to dinner.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I ve been a post doc previously. Yeah its casual round the uni but I’d still wear a suit to an interview.

molgrips
    Free Member

Black suits are for waiters, funeral directors, and guys who are on their way to lose in court.

Says who, though?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

There are plenty of places that are still pro suit & tie. Personally these are places I don’t want to work anyway, it’s a stuffy & outdated practice. Thankfully there are many places that are casual now 🙂

As to what to wear for an interview, a safe bet is go in a suit. It can be a bit intimidating when you rock up and everyone else in in shorts & t-shirts, but it’s not the end of the world.

I work in a casuals environment & have been looking for a new job recently – because of my job the logistics of getting dressed up a suit isn’t going to happen, so a quick email/call to explain & it’s never been an issue.

Can’t say it gets counted against you either, i’ve been offered a couple in the last week 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

Says who, though?

It’s a tricky one this.

If someone asks for advice on what colour of suit to buy, it’s presumably because they’re not sure what is appropriate etc, so they look to others with more knowledge/experience. Fashion is obviously subjective, but there are a few fundamental guidelines/rules which can be observed for business/formal dress, so those tend to filter through to people and invariably end up being commented on at length in magazines etc (e.g. Esquire). If Esquire says “dont’ buy a black suit” it’s probably not them trying to be super cool and off the wall, since business attire has a pretty long and conservative history.

At the end of the day, people should wear whatever they feel comfortable in, and if that’s a black suit and short sleeved shirt, who cares what everyone else says you should or shouldn’t be wearing. Just don’t expect your views on business dress to carry much weight with those who tend to keep in line with more traditional (or fashionable) schools of thought.

A fashionable approach to things is just one approach, functional is another, some people would prefer a pair of cargo pants over jeans, short sleeves when it’s warm, or a nice pocket on their shirt to hold pens in etc. If you’re only wearing a suit because your boss says you have to, then none of this probably matters to you.

IA

Skimmed the above..

Though I have held academic jobs, and therefore been interviewed for them successfully.

I would go for a shirt, open collar no-tie, blazer/jacket, and whatever trousers complement the jacket.

As mentioned somewhere above, it’s basically slightly smarter than what everyone else will likely be wearing. You appear smart with the jacket on, but then you can take it off and not stand out.

Take a tie in a pocket/bag if you’re really worried about turning up under dressed.

If you’re skint, get thee to TK max and get a jacket that goes with the smartest pair of trousers you currently own. Wear them and go try stuff on.

Iron your clothes, polish your shoes.

nealglover
    Free Member

some people would prefer a pair of cargo pants over jeans, short sleeves when it’s warm

I’m no expert, but when it’s warm I don’t normally wear another pair of trousers over my jeans 😉

natrix
    Free Member

If you’re skint, get thee to TK max

Sorry, but TK max no cheaper than anywhere else – their ‘savings’ are a big scam. A lot of it is their own brand stuff, they just make up a ridiculous RRP, then put a normal price on it, making it look like a big saving. Even with the well known brands, they just make up an RRP so that they can sell it for what looks like a big discount (but isn’t).

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m no expert, but when it’s warm I don’t normally wear another pair of trousers over my jeans

You’re stuck in the dark ages though neal, all the cool kids are doing it 🙂

andypaul99
    Free Member

peterfile : Step away from the keyboard please

peterfile
    Free Member

peterfile : Step away from the keyboard please

Honestly, if you weren’t so far off the mark with your comments, I’d probably be inclined to listen to you, but all I hear is an odd noise 🙂

Moses

I wouldn’t recommend a suit for an academic role interview at this level. Suits denote conformity, they aren’t looking for that. Also, academics don’t wear them. Smart casual would be better.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sure if my suit is black or charcoal anyway 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

what about a onesie..?
    perhaps something with a humorous kind of appeal to demonstrate that you have depth as well as an eye on convention..

peterfile
    Free Member

Mol, there’s an easy way to tell..

When you’re wearing it, do you have an overwhelming urge to neuralize people? If yes, it’s black. if no, it’s probably charcoal. 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I went with a light grey suit, white shirt and a navy blue tie.

Which was great because everyone else were wearing black suits. Not overly conformist and I looked the sharpest.

The interview went well, the interviewers were nice and conversational for once. I minced my words once or twice, maybe said something silly and was caught out by one small question but overall I did as well as I could. Just need to stay a little calmer. But the fact they weren’t total jerks like my last lot who made it clear with their facial expressions that they didn’t like me really helped.

Cheers guys. 🙂

scuzz
    Free Member

Good one, well done 🙂

andypaul99
    Free Member

Honestly, if you weren’t so far off the mark with your comments, I’d probably be inclined to listen to you, but all I hear is an odd noise

lol, because i said l like black suits? Oh dear.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m assuming you’ve conveniently forgotten all your comments on page 1? oh dear 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Late to the thread, but well done! I’d have gone a slightly darker grey as a standard, but if you’re one of da yoot, a lighter grey will suffice.

Black shoes, I assume? If not, I shall have to shoot you. To death.

officialtob
    Free Member

Great choice. Glad you avoided that potentially nasty navy blue suit situation that some of the STW ‘stylists’ were pointing you towards..

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Black shoes, I assume? If not, I shall have to shoot you. To death.

Of course. I’m not totally without common sense :mrgreen:

I must say, I got a hell of a lot more glances from women today. I’m not used to this. I think I like suits. :mrgreen: 😯 New shoes, new haircuit, new suit, better interview results! It’s all happening!

Damnit I need to get a city banker type job!

kimbers

Suit, and I have had plenty of RA interviews lately!
    Its very competitive out there at the moment and if you want the job theres no reason to give away anything to your rivals

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Interview….spec me a clothing style’ is closed to new replies.