Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Internet Explorer 9… don't bother!
  • CHB

Just installed IE9 for a total of one hour. Just done system restore to get rid of it.
    Text on web pages was fuzzy and font size was all over the place. My ebay login link was teeny weeny.

If any of you had the MS email suggesting to install it then I would ignore it and wait for the bugs to be fixed.

jam-bo

Do you know what a beta release is?

CHB

Indeed yes, however this is RC (release candidate), so I thought I would try it.
    To be fair the email from MS did not make clear it was beta/RC otherwise I would not have bothered.
    It was only as I was installing that it came up as RC.
    Clearly with your level of IT knowledge you don’t need the tip off, but thanks for your comments, now go away and turn it on and off again 😉

CHB

I have to say I am platform agnostic, but I am being swayed towards Apple stuff. How can a company with the resources of MS still release crap?

Hairychested
    Free Member

How can a company with the resources of MS still release crap?

That’s why they have those resources.

Cougar

It’s a “release candidate,” not a release. That generally means it’s largely stable, it does not mean it’s a finished product. There’s usually several RC versions before an official release and they can vary quite wildly.

I don’t use IE as my primary browser personally, but I keep it around for compatibility reasons when I hit badly tested websites. I’m in no hurry to install IE9, but I will at some point, probably when the first round of patches have come out.

seosamh77
    Free Member

i’ll stick with chrome thanks. 🙂

m4dmatt
    Free Member

Wouldn’t use ie at all personally.stick with firefox,chrome,opera or even safari for windows.ie8 has a security flaw which micro soft are working to fix. Sounds very similar to ie7 doesn’t it..

coogan
    Free Member

Microsoft generally = complete sh*te.

jimc101
    Free Member

Have been using if for a few days now, no real issues with it yet, but it doesn’t like IMBD, this was always crashing using IE8, and still does on 9.
    I mix using Firefox & Chrome, none are perfect, but do like the latest Firefox 4 Beta, much better than 3

mogrim

How can a company with the resources of MS still release crap?

But… every time I stray from MS I end up heading back, there’s still nothing to compare to Office, Windows is about 1000x easier to use than linux or MacOS, everything just works.

Posted from Chrome on Ubuntu 🙂

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

lol@mogrim 🙂

You almost had me going there for a second…

mogrim

You almost had me going there for a second…

S’all right, now posting from Chrome on Vista. I really do prefer Windows, though I’ll make an exception for Chrome.

mossimus
    Free Member

Been using the beta of IE9 for a few months was a real PIA loads of sites failed to load properly. Only stuck with it as could not be bothered to reinstall. Loaded up the RC and am suitably impressed not found a site that does not work yet. YMMV

hopster
    Free Member

I’ve been using IE9 since Beta and I’ve generally found it to work really well. It loads faster than Firefox and seems faster in use.

samuri
    Free Member

Are you guys telling Microsoft about these problems? That is the whole point of making pre release candidates available to the public you know.

Wouldn’t use ie at all personally.stick with firefox,chrome,opera or even safari for windows.ie8 has a security flaw which micro soft are working to fix. Sounds very similar to ie7 doesn’t it..

Every browser on the planet has security flaws. Simetimes they’re all patched, sometimes they’re nopt but IE certainly heads the list.
    As a quick example of critical patches (i.e. high risk, in the wild exploits available)….
    IE 7 currently has 11 unpatched
    IE 8 has 5 unpatched
    Chrome 7 and 8 both have one unpatched.
    Safari 4 and 5 both have one each unpatched.
    Only the mighty Firefox runs currently critical issue free on the latest versions but it’s only a matter of time.

CHB

samuri, I tried to use the inbrowser fault reporter… it didn’t work!!

Shame about the fuzzy text and weird font sizes as the browser overall looked nice.

Davesport

The fuzzy stuff’s caused by “cleartype” ISTR. You can switch it off.

D.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Internet Explorer 9… don't bother!’ is closed to new replies.