Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 222 total)
  • Interesting unknown engineering landmarks in the uk
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

Ok, so I'm a civil engineer and i'm interested in engineering structure, be it dams/bridges/buildings, apart from the major ones, what interesting landmarks are there?

tangent
    Free Member

I have often been very impressed by various features found along the canal network for e.g the Anderton Lift on the Trent & Mersey Canal is a very impressive sight…

richcc
    Free Member

Fabulously vague!

Here's a few for me which may or may not be obvious.

Millenium dome

London eye

gherkin

gchq building

st pauls cathedral

that barge lift in Scotland

Newcastle to Gateshead footbridge

internationally – millau bridge, taipei 101, all of Dubai!

project
    Free Member

The large elusive ivory tower some live in.

Standedge tunnels,

the woodhead tunnels,

St Pancaras station,

Stwlan dam in north wales,

the dams of wales,

bassspine
    Free Member

Brunel's atmospheric engine tower at Starcross
    Welsh gold mines at Dolgellau
    the Bude canal

snaps
    Free Member

I ride over & under this on the North edge of Dartmoor regularly – its right by the main A30 yet most people have never heard of it.
    http://www.meldonviaduct.co.uk/

geoffj

Inverkip Power Station

ahwiles
    Free Member

catesby viadict:

ahwiles
    Free Member

and catesby tunnel:

porterclough
    Free Member

The railway viaduct in Stockport that the M60 passes under:

Mersey viaduct

JulianA
    Free Member

Brunel's bridge at Saltash

The Causey Arch

Maybe not a marvel, but

Lutyen's building in Basingstoke

For a start…

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Not so much a landmark as it's inside a hill, but Cruachan Power Station is a feat of engineering.

nickc

The Falkirk Wheel is pretty outrageous.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Was just going to say the Falkirk Wheel, amazing to watch.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

The Harecastle Tunnel,great bit of problem solving by James Brindley.

MrNutt
    Free Member

something Pssst-koff… going on at Crofton Beam Engine I think…

jahwomble
    Free Member

The Williamson tunnels under most of Edgehill (which is also the oldest operational railway station in the world ) and liverpool city centre, not particularly interesting technically, but interesting none the less for sheer bloody quirkiness.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Courtyard of the British Museum.

flip
    Free Member

How have i never heard of the Falkirk Wheel?, i've just watched it on You Tube 😛

Amazing.

CountZero

Various Brunel structures between London and Bristol, there's a stunning railway bridge over the Thames up near Reading, Box Tunnel, and Clifton Suspension Bridge. There's a canal tunnel up near Cirencester, on the Thames and Severn canal at Sapperton, which is two miles long. It's not fully navigable at the moment, due to a collapse in the middle, but when it was in use boats were walked through by men who'd lie on a plank and walk along the tunnel wall propelling the narrow boat. Each journey took eight hours in the dark, and the men would overnight at a pub at either end, The Tunnel House Inn at Tarlton, and The Daneway at Sapperton. Both pubs are still there, and the canal and tunnel are undergoing restoration. An amazing feat of civil engineering, it was, I believe, the longest tunnel in the country at the time.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Caen Hill locks on the Kennet and Avon Canal near Devizes.

Built by a Scotsman naturally

brakes
    Free Member

the transporter bridge in Boro, still confuses me to this day

BoardinBob

A brilliant site

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/

Hasn't had any real updates in years though there are some amazing threads on the forum i.e.

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=135&start=0

Ewan
    Free Member

The rocket test site on the isle of white.

The Colsham bunker complex.

jahwomble
    Free Member

Ooooh and don't forget the pagodas at Orford Ness, they are very dramatic if you can book and get near enough

clicky

Marmoset
    Free Member

Pontcysyllte Aqueduct near Llangollen – a great use of cast iron sections to hold the canal.

Runcorn Widnes Bridge – I go over this every day and it still fascinates me….

CountZero

Should have thought of Caen Hill Locks. Not far from me, fantastic sight, I always enjoy going there. Another I've just thought of; the Thames Barrage.

awh
    Free Member

I never knew about these until the commencement of work ceremony Linky. Probably a good, I'd have got bored and forgotten about it waiting for planning, funding, etc to be sorted!

awh
    Free Member

Colsham

Typo? Corsham? Have a look at this.

project
    Free Member

Post office tower, london and Birmingham.

Winter hill tv transmitter,

Highgate cemetry,london,

Mersey railway tunnel,

Severn tunnel,

manchester ship canal,

M60 motorway,around manchester,

midlifecrashes

Another one for Middlesbrough, required by the same rules requiring the river to be navigable to large traffic as far as Stockton that brought the Transporter Bridge. This one's the Newport Bridge and I used to watch it going up and down from my classroom window at school.

BillMC

The water pumping substation in Conyers Road, Streatham, a masterpiece!

clubber
    Free Member

this aqueduct near Bristol. Spotted while on a cx ride but it's fairly well hidden unless you're close.

http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/Details/Default.aspx?id=34032

skolt
    Free Member

The A66 Keswick by-pass over the Greta gorge is an unusual winner of engineering awards:

In 1977 the bridge was awarded a Highly Commendation by the Concrete Society.

Readers of Concrete magazine however voted it Best Civil Engineering Structure of the Century in 1999.

Beverley Hughes MP, Minister for the Environment, unveiled a plaque, which is positioned beneath the bridge.

The Plaque reads:- ‘GRETA BRIDGE Voted Best Concrete Engineering Structure Of The Century September 1999 / Consulting Engineer : Scott Wilson Kirkpatrick & Partners / Contractor : Tarmac Construction / Maintained by The Highways Agency.

Greta Bridge, Keswick

steveb

Skolt – you just beat me to it! Was going to mention the very same bridge. You would never know from driving across the top on the A66, but from below its a remarkably graceful stucture for a concrete bridge!

ianpinder
    Free Member

Cheers guys, planning a little trip, the brit museum courtyard is good, but my maths lecturer designed the roof, so I've heard of that one, some nice unknown bits there, the bridge on dartmoor, i lived near there and have never seen it. Would be interested in those tunnels in bath, thats where i went to uni.

keep them coming the more wierd and wonderfull the better.

samuri
    Free Member

The mersey tunnels are quite impressive. I like the way the vent towers, especially the queensway tunnel, are disguised as architecture.

This is the kingsway vents

And yes, stockport viaduct is seriously impressive.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

I think some of the london underground is quite impresive. But then there are parts that are gash.

gusamc
    Free Member

http://www.nlb.org.uk/ourlights/history/bellrock.htm

Possibly not unknown, but dad was a lightkeeper

If you're looking for less well known landmarks, there's two only a short walk from my house.

Victoria Bridge on the Severn Valley Railway.

Probably one of the most photographed bridges in the country, but only accessible by footpath, so there's not that many people have seen it for real from that angle..

A couple of miles further down stream, and far less well known, is the pipeline bridge carrying water from the Elan Valley to Birmingham.

The water falls by gravity, there are no pumps, so, as this is the lowest point, it is also the point of highest pressure.
    Again, it's only accessible by footpath or a tiny dead end lane.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 222 total)

The topic ‘Interesting unknown engineering landmarks in the uk’ is closed to new replies.