Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)
  • interaction with my neighbour this evening
  • whippersnapper
    Free Member

What's wrong with a bit of consideration for other people?

exactly, people should stop insisting others accommodate their delicate offspring.

However engine revving at 1am is not on.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

This may or may not be instructive.

I used to live on the top floor of a tower block with less than soundproof walls and floors.

A couple moved in downstairs from me who were a complete nightmare. When they weren't having screaming arguments, they were having late-hours post-pub parties against which it was impossible to get to sleep. Even knocking on their door to "interact" with them bought nobody to the door, except to look through the peephole at me.

So. Once I had the opprotunity to go away for a long weekend (MTBing in Wales. Ha!) and formulated a plan.

I plugged in a portable radio in the room directly above their bedroom. As I left, I switched it on and turned it up to maximum volume.

When I got back on the Tuesday, I switched it off.

Never had another peep out of them…

😉

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Oh dear, babies cry get over it, making a bit of noise with a pressure washer hardley breaches the peace, while stating a V8 at 1am in the morning does, if he does that on a regular basis you keep a diray of all the times he disturbes you and perhaps write him a letter explaing why it bothers you etc. Maybe you should join the NCT and see how much more ridged you can be on bringing up baby, and heaven forbid when your child is older and in bed by 7, one of your friends and family should call or phone when your putting your child to bed! 🙄

geoffj

Maybe you should join the NCT and see how much more ridged you can be on bringing up baby,

😆

project
    Free Member

Are you afraid the baby will turn into some sort of petrol head ,or a clarkson clone.

pitduck
    Free Member

have you tried a moustache 😯

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Car in middle of night, no, that's not on. Jet wash to clean paintbrushes? That is simply genius! Overkill maybe, but damn, I bet it is quick and effective.
    Have annoying neighbours here too but as long as you live near other people it is going to happen.
    Oh, and in 15 weeks when our first arrives I assume I will be having exactly the same annoyances and frustrations as you 🙂

slimtubing
    Free Member

I have to agree with most of whats above, Having kids changes your perspective folks, ok every one thinks their little snowflake is the most precious thing around , but what some of the non parent STW ers may not realise is the lack of sleep /normal human routine that goes with them can seriously mess with your head/marriage daily life, its frigging exhausting to look after kids. My neighbour is perfrectly entitled to make a bit o noise of course its jst that we live in a residential area but with his various hobbies(honking great v8s, spot of diy) it just seems to my addled brain that from about 8 am- 9pm most days of the week he has either drop saws com[pressors or other noisy basrard things going.
    i assure you I dont see myself as some bleating tit who wants total quiet I'd just like a few hours peace to get some sleeeeppp!! 😯

slimtubing
    Free Member

Oh and IdleJon one does it for those less verbose, expanding the minds of the great unwashed is one's duty I'm sure you'll agree.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Noise during the day early evening – live with it. IMO you are bleating about the noise apart form engines at night. If the noise bothers you that much get soundproofing / double glazing.

I don't care about your child and certainly your choice to have children should not impinge on anyone else. Gets some perspective – do you apologise to your neighbours for your screaming child?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I want some kind of new godwin's law that can be invoked as soon as a parent says something along the lines of…

but what some of the non parent STW ers may not realise…

porterclough
    Free Member

I don't care about your child

That's nice.

What I don't understand is people who argue that it is ok to wake up a baby at 6.30pm but not OK to make noise late at night. There's no difference, you either consider other people or you don't.

do you apologise to your neighbours for your screaming child?

Most people do, in my experience.

sc-xc

What I don't understand is people who argue that it is ok to wake up a baby at 6.30pm but not OK to make noise late at night. Why is there any difference, you either consider other people or you don't.

madness.

Of course it's OK to make noise at 6:30pm, unless you expect the neighbours to make no noise whatsoever just in case the child wants to sleep?

(father of 2, an 8 year old lad who wants to make noise and a 9 month old daughter)

joolsburger
    Free Member

TJ are you trolling or are you like that in real life?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Poertercough – of course it is OK to make a noise in teh day. Are you saying that the neighbour has to stop his hobbies becuse of the OPs child? No – the reasonable thing to do is to do the noisy things at reasonable times.

deadlydarcy – Member

I want some kind of new godwin's law that can be invoked as soon as a parent says something along the lines of…

but what some of the non parent STW ers may not realise…

100%

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Which bit joolsburger?

I am stroppy and argumentative and have little time for people who think that just because they have a child I should defer to them all the time.

Making a noise at 6,30 pm is totally reasonable and yhe OP is being very unreasonable. IMO

joolsburger
    Free Member

I guess I'm just used to being around nice neighbours, seems like a fairly reasonable request for a little quiet meets a pretty rude and selfish response. I'm just surprised anyone sees it differently. When I was younger and loud, my upstairs neighbour had a baby and we were mindful of the noise and kept things down a little just out of common decency really.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Glad tj ain't my neighbour, it's amazing what manners can do for some people

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

jools – yes that is fine – but in this case the OP is asking his neighbour to stop his hobbies and asking for silence at 6.30 pm is surely unreasonable.

Keep it down a bit – fine. Stop your hobbies till my child grows up -?????

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hey _ I am not the only one who thinks like this – and for your information I am a very good neighbour – I look after my elderly neighbour who has dementia and I don't make unreasonable noise.

I still don't see why the OP can expect silence at 6.30 pm

joolsburger
    Free Member

It strikes me he asked for a little quiet whilst his baby went off to sleep nothing more.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I'm absolutely positive you're not the only person that thinks like that.

More's the pity.

M6TTF
    Free Member

The 6.30pm I whole heartedly agree with, lighting up hotrods in the early hours is unacceptable. We had nearly 3 years of living next to shitty neighbours in a rented property, it's one of the worst things to go through, especially with a young child who has difficulty sleeping, I know!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So because my neighbour has a child I need to stop my hobbies and be silent anytime he asks day or night? Really? I hate the sound of screaming children. will you please remove them from public places when they scream and smother it if it is next door to me?

Your child may be the most important thing in your world – but it is not eh most important thing in the world

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

The **** !! he knows that white spirit does the job silently, he did it to wind you up in my opinion.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Did you complain to your neighbour before you had a baby, as you mentioned he has a habit of making a lot of noise, if not why not? Also is it just because of your baby you felt justified in asking him to stop using his spray washer. Perhaps if you had gone to him just before the birth of your 1st child and explained you were concerned about any noise especially after 11pm, he would be more understanding. Babies do get used to noise, however if your tired and at your wits end then I suppose your reaction is understandable, although I reckon you probably shouldn't expect any consideration from your neighbour now.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Glad I don't have a neighbour like that. All their kids are grown up.

chakaping
    Free Member

I don't care about your child and certainly your choice to have children should not impinge on anyone else.

I dare you to say that next time a neighbour comes round and asks you nicely if you wouldn't mind keeping the noise down for an hour because their baby has just gone to sleep.

Kato

Its a second car he hardly drives it but insists on idling it for 20 mins before and after driving.

He's just looking after his turbocharger

molgrips
    Free Member

Babies are not neccesarily down to sleep at 6.30pm – ours never was, because we didn't want to be got up at 4am 🙂 so if I was asked, I'd be a little suprised. After all, babies nap at any time of the day – would I be right to complain about people washing their cars at say 3pm when our lass is napping?

If it's a regular thing, you might ask for a little co-operation after 6.30, but you can hardly castigate them for making noise that early without having been told beforehand that your kid's asleep.

However they do sound like arseholes – on the other hand though, he just might not realise that he's waking people up by starting his car. He might be just thick, rather than an arsehole. I certainly got my wall knocked on one night whilst hammering to undo something on my bike – hadn't realised that it had got to be like 1am.

tron
    Free Member

My old neighbours when I was a student would regularly have parties that ran from 8pm to 8am. A pressure washer at 6pm is hardly worth getting upset about.

OTOH any car on open pipes isn't really on if you live next to anyone.

slimtubing
    Free Member

TJ at no point did I ask for silence, and as a post script this hase been an ongoing issue for 4 years with me asking them in the past to keep the noise down. The frostiness of her response makes me think that other neighbours may also be doing the same and she's getting a bit tired of dealing with it. I also don't care if you don't care about my child or choice to have children, my kids are ace and I will scare them to sleep with tales of the nasty man known as Tandem jeremy 😈

slimtubing
    Free Member

Also I might just send round a sleep deprived Mrstubing to deal to you,be afraid; be very afraid. 😉

project
    Free Member

Totally agree with TJ, why should you not do what you normally do just because of a kid.

Its like moving to the country and complaining about the cows and chikens makeinfg a noise,

Moving next to an airport or railway and not likeing planes or trains.

If your neighbour works and finishes 4.30pm by the time he has got home had some food, its 6.30pm.

What if he works 12 hour night shifts and has a screaming kid,and possibly parents all day when he is trying to sleep,EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM…..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

slimtubing

and as a post script this hase been an ongoing issue for 4 years

Rather changes things

Project – thank you

slimtubing
    Free Member

Project he is not a painter and decorator, god only knows what he does for a living ,it seems he just footers around his backyard most days tinkering with his rods or planing/ cutting timber. i don't think moving into a residential area and expecting a reasonalbe lack of light industry to be in another area is unreasonable.
    and as for my little snowflake,yeah she cries but he'd never bloody hear it from all the racket he generates.

slimtubing
    Free Member

oh and BTFU made me laugh, had to explain it to mrstubing who is following his thread with barely contained fury. 😛

sc-xc

when I see the text 'mrstubing' I think it looks a bit like 'masturbating' at first glance.

Does this help?

slimtubing
    Free Member

it helps me!

sc-xc

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘interaction with my neighbour this evening’ is closed to new replies.