Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Intense question: are their 'raw' frames lighter without the paint??
  • thepublican
    Free Member

Looking at an intense Uzzi as next bike…just wondering if the unpainted finished ones are lighter? I am sure I remember someone saying paint adds about 1/2 pound…??

thanks..

druidh
    Free Member

Yes

Junkyard
    Free Member

1/2 pound for paint are you certain? That sounds a lot for what is there. I have no knowledge but am interested

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thomthumb
    Free Member

look into why so many german cars come in silver

1/2 pound for paint are you certain?

that will depend on colour. i remember a chap from trek telling me they changed team colours because white was lighter than black (or vice versa)

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

Yeah, and black paint is heavier than white paint. So don’t get a white front end/black rear end, or your bike will be all unbalanced.

thepublican
    Free Member

Not certain about the 1/2 lb figure, just that someone mentioned it.

A full powdercoat on a ‘slabby’ frame like an intense or orange must weigh a bit though…

i await a paint expert..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

This makes me laugh, worrying about 1/2lb’s worth of paint.

You guys should try riding a gold plated bike like me. You probably cant afford one though.

thepublican
    Free Member

I always wondered why my bike leant to the left; my LH crank is black but my driveside is white…

thepublican
    Free Member

but it is free weight saving, just by colour choice (which I prefer too actually)..

seems a good idea

amplebrew

I’m sure that Specialized used to say that their unpainted s works carbon frames were just under 100g lighter

nickc

…1/2 lb. that would be 227g. About the weight of a rear mech…In paint?

thepublican
    Free Member

I wonder. That would mean 227ml of paint roughly to paint a frame, or about 2/3rds of a can of coke, if I can be excused describing things tabloid paper style.

chakaping
    Free Member

You guys should try riding a gold plated bike like me. You probably cant afford one though.

Only gold plated?

Solid 24ct here mate.

nickc

[shrugs/]…seems as likely as not really…Does it matter?

TheSwede
    Free Member

Don’t forget, primers, finish coats, candy’s, lacquers on some flash paint jobs. Gota weigh half a can of coke. I’ve gone for a raw intense but not to save weight. Just hate scratched paint work. Rather it looked 5 years old straight out of the box. Save me the bother of trashing it.

chakaping
    Free Member

The raw finish looks amazing anyway, I’d choose it on looks alone.

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve heard paint weighs around 300g, so 0.5lb sounds right?

Junkyard
    Free Member

solid gold is soft chakaping you would either break it with your radness or weight

thepublican
    Free Member

Is it now ‘not the done thing’ to care about weight? I wouldn’t run 140mm rotors or buy Ti bolts but surely weight saving with no performance loss is a good thing?

nickc

Sure, I guess. 1/2 pound is 1/2 pound after all. Looks cool as well.

cynic-al
    Free Member

May be lighter, still won’t be straight 😛

thepublican
    Free Member

I agree the raw finish looks the business.

nickc

Harsh, Al, very harsh… 🙂

thepublican
    Free Member

al-read a few posts on that. I will be checking…

chakaping
    Free Member

Silly question time: So if you strip any normal frame can you get same finish?

thepublican
    Free Member

my old 6.6 was fine though.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Have seen a couple of bent ones Al but mine is as straight as a die. The boss must have been on the shop floor the day mine came was knocked up.

thepublican
    Free Member

chakaping-if anyone does it can they save the paint scrapeings and weigh them for me…

nickc

I suppose so chapaking. I left an Inbred raw for a winter a few years ago. by the following summer it was a sort of red-y/brown… 🙂

Didn’t GT do a bare frame Zaskar with just a clear coat on it?

TheSwede
    Free Member

Yep. Strip back to bare aly. Quick polish with autosol and then a spray with mr muscle. Hey presto. Works raw. Did it to my seat post to match the frame as it was tatty ano.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Considering doing it to a king headset but hhhmmm.

kamina
    Free Member

I recollect Mr. Intense mentioning about 1/4lb as the weight of the paint. Anyway, raw is nice beyond the weight advantage, you are not bothered by scratches!

TheSwede
    Free Member

Nice. G2 drop outs on the tracer in feb. Hope the back end is retrofittable to the this years frame.

kamina
    Free Member

Nah, it’s an Uzzi with G3’s. Are you sure there will be G2’s on the Uzzi too? I think only on the Tracer.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I recently stripped my 5spot to Raw.

Only the front triangle was painted and I saved 1/3lb, so 1/2lb is cock on for a fully painted bike IMO.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Quick edit when I realised it was an uzzi 😉

Filthy
    Free Member

I reckon if you rode the bikes back to back, one raw and one painted, you couldn’t tell the difference if you were blindfolded*

*disclaimer, dont try this at home kids

goog
    Free Member

yes + plus you wont cry if you scratch it

TheSwede
    Free Member

I recon if you tied a piece of string to each fame and hung one off each ball, you would know which was painted if blind folded.

chakaping
    Free Member

I recently stripped my 5spot to Raw.

Did you post pics? Would like to see.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Intense question: are their 'raw' frames lighter without the paint??’ is closed to new replies.