Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Intense 951
  • genesis
    Free Member

Erming and aaaarghing about ordering one, any other stw'ers got one on order?

fozzybear
    Free Member

not got one but been reading a lot about intense in general.

i would suggest you go to mtbr and read about the 951 there.. i think i read of an issue running some chainguides… it's all over on mtbr though..

toons
    Free Member

Friend has one, they're blood fast.

brant
    Free Member

it's all over on mtbr though..

can you give me a link cos I can't find anything.

Jezwick
    Free Member

genesis – Member

Erming and aaaarghing about ordering one, any other stw'ers got one on order?

heard nothing BUT great things about this frame, THE FACT that Intense are offering it in a 'decent' price range surely MUST means its an offer to good to be missed..

If I was in the market for a DH bike, Id be buying one straight away !!!

ChrisS
    Free Member

can you give me a link cos I can't find anything.

I assume he means in the manufacturers forum….. been lots of moaning about the chainguide on the tracer as well.

Intense forum

mamadirt
    Free Member

MTBR is down at the mo but loads of info on the Intense forum as ChrisS says. Check out the hot rod orange version in the 'General Lee' thread . . .. mmmmmmmm 😛

brant
    Free Member

I was on there for a while last night, but really didn't find very much about problems. There was something about black and gold spacer washers, but it didn't look terminal.

Will have a look later when it goes back live.

STATO
    Free Member

Im sure i read somewhere that the CRC team have gone back to the M6 as the 951 blew through its travel too quick (at fort william). This could be false tho as it was from a forum somewhere.

chameleon78
    Free Member

I also read that Kovarik was struggling because it was to light, I've also read about the travel issues somewhere (maybe Dirt mag) – sorry not much use!
    If i were in the market as much as I love Intense and SC I would definitely consider the Trek Session, that gets rave reviews. Alternatively Athertons Commencal DH bike and the Yeti 303 R(is that correct?)
    In fact Trek in general are producing some very tasty looking bikes at the mo and normally I'm a SC man but if i ever get a new job and wat a full sus I'll be looking at Trek first.

chameleon78
    Free Member

Did a search on Intense 951 issues and found this,
    http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=80553&pagenum=3

Also forgot to add, if I was after a DH bike this would be my frame of choice against the Trek!

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I've been riding my 951 mostly at Fort William since I got it last month and can tell you that it's b00dy fast, it doesn't blow through the travel and I actually like riding it better than the Trek Session. But that's just my opinion and not someone talking on a forum about a bike they have never been on! 🙂

If your in Scotland and want a test ride I'll be at Dollar DH track this weekend.

chameleon78
    Free Member

0pt1cal – good point I was merely stating what I had heard and of course the best way to find out is to ride one yourself!

kimbers

last months dirt pointed out that as the trek has a highly forward moving axle path as the swingarm rotates through its travel you will get pitched forward on landing big drops

brant
    Free Member

Well, I'm doing something right I guess 😉

IA

Well one thing I will say about intense, even although their QC at the factory is a bit iffy, Extra (the UK importers) are excellent to deal with. Some of the best after sales backup I've come across.

fozzybear
    Free Member

ohhhhh brant you sneaking out a bit hitter are you???

chameleon78
    Free Member

And intense are still producing gorgeous bikes!

kimbers

well hes got 8 inches in his rear in that picture (snigger)

nickc

I remember the Dirt article heaping praise all over the 951, but I might have remembered wrong

fozzybear
    Free Member

Kinbers – yer.

been looking at a intense tracer vp and been reading a lot about not being able to run a chain guide well..

clearly i've not ridden a 951, but read about issues with chainguides, leverage rations (struggling to get a spring strong enough, they were looking to get hold of a custom made one i was told).

was just interested in intense as a company, found extra uk to be helpful though.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I'm 200 lbs and run a 5O0lb spring on the 951 which is perfect for me, not had any problems and been very impressed with the RC4 shock. As the shock is active and soft in the intial part of the stroke I thought I would need a stronger spring, but once I'm riding the bike it's bottomless. I've been hitting plenty of decent sized jumps and drops without bottoming out the shock.

I've now moved to Intense for all my bikes and also have a Tracer VP, the new 'revised' version has ISCG tabs so chainguides should not be a problem…I'm happy with a triple ring on mine at the minute as I do need the granny for those long climbs! 🙂

fozzybear
    Free Member

0pt1cal any issues on your tracer vp with a chainguide?
    i run double n bash and a stinger.. never used the big ring..

i'm REALLY interested in a tracer VP but keep hearing of issues with a roller/chain device. i have a test ride being arranged but wanted owners opinions.. i ride alps pretty much yearly (lyrik and strong kit builds) but also ride trail centres and local loops on the same setup (currently heckler 08 with lyrik, pro 2 /719 and mostly XT kit) comes in 31lbs ish

would really like some input from a VP owner (sorry to crash thread)

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Fozzybear

I'm still running a triple, I have the old style Tracer VP without ISCG tabs and have not tried running a double bashguard. I know you can run an e-13 SG1 with the plate behind the BB cups and that works…not sure about the double?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Intense 951’ is closed to new replies.