Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Insurance help!
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

im currently a bit screwed at the min….ive got my bike insured at home under the parents contents cover (as i live with them)

however im moving out and leaving the bike at their property, now ive just spoke to insurance, who tell me it cannot be covered as im no longer residing there….i tell them my parents are happy to have it on their policy still, but as its my property they cannot cover it…

i then said about if i started a new policy at my new address and have it specified as cover away from home, but again as its permanantly living at the parents the insurance wont cover it, as its not temporarily away from home…

i even asked about transferring ownership over to my father, but they again said no, as the receipts in my name, he has no financial interest in it…

so what the hell do i do? im going to have to leave it there, and as it stands i cant insure it at all…

any ideas or help would be appreciated!

CheesybeanZ

there’s your problem , honesty it only causes problems . its your dads bike that you regularly borrow and ride from his house . 😉

Stevelol
    Free Member

Get him to ‘buy’ it from you and write him a ‘receipt’? 😀 sounds ridiculous but I suppose you’re playing the game.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ha – well in fairness i didnt give any personal details, just a random caller etc

i did think about this, as its an ‘old policy’ it covers guests possesions too…

when i inquired a while back i said i was writing over a letter to state my father has ownership of it, they said it was a ‘loop hole’ as such but fine as its now his property…

now when i rang to confirm this again, they say something different as the receipts are in my name, that he has no financial interest etc even if i passed it over with a covering letter…

i could still leave the policy and if it ‘sigh’ did ever happen to get nicked, just surely claim i was a guest stopping overngiht? they wouldnt know it was permanently stored there would they?

andyl
    Free Member

you could look into bike specific cover.

or..actually you know the other two routes which a bit ropey but your only options.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i dont get why they are ropey though, my parents are happy for them to stay there (as i can incorporate seeing them at the same time too), if they are happy then i cant see the problem, i could sell the bike to my dad, how on earth would they know i hadnt?

the only other option ive got really is to buy a brand new bike in my fathers name/card and i cant them see them questioning anything as its his bike and in his name at his address?

joao3v16
    Free Member

Get him to ‘buy’ it from you and write him a ‘receipt’? sounds ridiculous but I suppose you’re playing the game.

This solves your problem.

For insurance purposes it doesn’t matter who uses it, just who owns it.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers guys – joao – as above i think thats the best solution, he’s paid for most of it anyways, just the invoices are in my name..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Insurance help!’ is closed to new replies.