Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Union Jack upside down in P&G advert
  • Saccades
    Free Member

amused me, i would have thought that all UJ’s orientation in them adverts would have doublechecked.

it’s the one with the kids as olympians, blonde curly haired fellow on the high dive.

I should email the daily mail so they can get into a froth over it.

brakes
    Free Member

why does it matter?

IHN

They’ll also get in a froth that it’s the Union Flag, not the Union Jack 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They’ll also get in a froth that it’s the Union Flag, not the Union Jack

Wasn’t there some clarification on this and despite some peoples pedantry there isn’t actualy a difference in their correct useage?

njee20
    Free Member

They’ll also get in a froth that it’s the Union Flag, not the Union Jack

Either are acceptable terms. Pedantry fail.

On the subject of fails, I’ll bite… how can it be upside down 😕

Assume you actually mean a mirror image, rather than upside down?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Maybe someone at P&G is in need of emergency assistance, as indicated by flying an upside down union jack.

Conan257
    Free Member

Flying the Union Flag upside down is a way of displaying distress… Inappropriate use of this could be deemed as an illegal act…

The white bands should be on the clockwise side when it’s the right way up (Top left corner, thicker band is on the top). If it’s upside down then the top left corner is thinner, and the thick banding goes anti-clockwise.

IHN

The Union Jackflag the right way round:

Thicker white diagonal strip bits on clockwise side of red diagonal stripe bits.

njee20
    Free Member

But upside down (as in rotated 180 degrees) it’s still the same innit? It would have to be the reverse side to be different. Which is not upside down.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I just turned my laptop upside down and the thick white stripe is still on the clockwise side….? surely I’m missing something.

beat to it by njee

thepurist

But upside down (as in rotated 180 degrees) it’s still the same innit?

Flags only have fixing thingies on one side so what happens if you fly it incorrectly is that it gets mirrored along the horizontal axis.

njee20
    Free Member

Flags only have fixing thingies on one side so what happens if you fly it incorrectly is that it gets mirrored along the horizontal axis.

But this is a projected image, not a flown flag, ergo it is not upside down, it is reversed.

thepurist

But this is a projected image, not a flown flag, ergo it is not upside down, it is reversed.

You can’t argue with pedantry of that quality! 😀

njee20
    Free Member

Boom! 😉

passtherizla
    Free Member

presumably because the fixing thingies are on one side then the reverse of a flag looks the same but with the fixing thingies on the other side…? or are flags single sided?

crankboy
    Free Member

My mum got really annoyed at the UK border agency in Gare Du Nord for eurostar they had the Union Jack up side down she didn’t go through the Blitz to see her flag insulted by jumped up bouncers.

druidh
    Free Member

Isn’t it always upside down viewed from the other side then?

convert

The way to remember it – White thick bits uppermost closest to the flag pole. Dosn’t matter which side you view it from then.

higgo
    Free Member

When the ‘Union Jack’ was first introduced in 1606, it was known simply as ‘the British flag’ or ‘the flag of Britain’, and was ordered to be flown at the main masthead of all ships, warships and merchant ships, of both England and Scotland.

The first use of the name ‘Union’ appears in 1625. There are various theories as how it became known as the ‘Union Jack’, but most of the evidence points to the name being derived from the use of the word ‘jack’ as a diminutive. This word was in use before 1600 to describe a small flag flown from the small mast mounted on the bowsprit, and by 1627 it appears that a small version of the Union flag was commonly flown in this position. For some years it was called just ‘the Jack’, or ‘Jack flag’, or ‘the King’s Jack’, but by 1674, while formally referred to as ‘His Majesty’s Jack’, it was commonly called the Union Jack, and this was officially acknowledged.

In the 18th century the small mast on the bowsprit was replaced by staysails on the stays between the bowsprit and the foremast. By this time the Ensign had become the principal naval distinguishing flag, so it became the practice to fly the Union Jack only in harbour, on a specially rigged staff in the bows of the ships, the jackstaff. It should thus be noted that the jack flag had existed for over a hundred and fifty years before the jack staff came into being, and its name was related to its size rather than to the position in which it was flown.

It is often stated that the Union Flag should only be described as the Union Jack when flown in the bows of a warship, but this is a relatively recent idea. From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that “the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag”.

Cdr Bruce Nicolls OBE RN (Retd)

TimP
    Free Member

White thick bits uppermost closest to the flag pole

It just trips off the tongue….

GrahamS

Isn’t it always upside down viewed from the other side then?

It’s relative to the flagpole, so no.

DezB
    Free Member

So what about the fact that its all BLUE on the Olympic strip??!

GrahamS

So what about the fact that its all BLUE on the Olympic strip??!

In recognition of the fact that the Scots are the only ones with any hope of winning medals…? 😉

zerocool

Don’t get me started on the 2012 strip. Stupid McCartney

Dibbs
    Free Member

EDF have upset quite a few people where I work by using a green Union Flag in their advertising. I don’t mind as long as Vicky P’s wrapped in it.

mefty
    Free Member

Maybe it was a subliminal message to sell Tampax or Pampers.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

are flags single sided?

Presumably this depends on the flag (note ammericans manage to fold theirs into a tiny little triangle) but the ones I’ve had to carry were hugely heavy double thickness affiars that took 2 people to fold and in some case carry!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Union Jack upside down in P&G advert’ is closed to new replies.