Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Installing RF Cinch cranks…
  • vincienup
    Free Member

Second hand crankset so no instructions.

I’ve seen the sheet on RFs website, but I have a question.

What is that 16mm actually used for? Asking mostly because I don’t have one and wanted to install before I’d be able to get one in the post.

The spindle is already on the NDS arm, looking at the instructions I only seem to need an 8mm to fasten the DS assembly to the spindle and then set the preload… which has me confused as there’s a 16mm outer head in the DS too…

What’s it for? Is it something I only need if I want to mount a spider?

Thanks! 🙂

chrishc777
    Free Member

I mounted mine without one. Just needed the BB tool and 8mm

mboy
    Free Member

It’s there so that the inner crank bolt also acts as a self extractor.

You shouldn’t need to touch it other than to make sure it’s not coming loose.

whitestone
    Free Member

There seem to be a couple (at least) of different Cinch systems. The Aeffects that I’ve installed on my fat bike are quite different to the Evolve crankset I originally had on the Solaris. The Aeffect require an ISIS crank puller to separate the DS from the spindle whereas the Evolves require an 8mm hex key for the inner bolt to extract and push against the outer cap.

mboy
    Free Member

There seem to be a couple (at least) of different Cinch systems.

Correct.

However… Cinch refers to the system that holds the spiderless chainring, or indeed a spider, to the crank arms, not how the cranks fasten together or indeed their axle size. So some Cinch cranks have a 24mm axle, some have 30mm, some need a crank extractor to seperate the drive side from the axle, some have a self extracting bolt on the drive side arm.

rickon
    Free Member

It’s there so that the inner crank bolt also acts as a self extractor.

You shouldn’t need to touch it other than to make sure it’s not coming loose

^ he knows his potatoes.

Also, don’t try to remove the 16mm nut, you you’ll never get your cranks off again.

vincienup
    Free Member

Thanks! 🙂

This is exactly what I wanted to hear!

jamj1974

Mboy & Rickon +1

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Installing RF Cinch cranks…’ is closed to new replies.