Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Insects in the broccoli (survey)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

So Mrs Grips threw some broccoli in with the pasta to cook together, just to save on pans and heat etc, and she found some ‘earwig type creatures’ in it.

I said I’d eat it, since it’ll have been boiled up, but she is not sure if she wants to give it to our kids.

Would you eat it?

Cougar

Does she think that all the other broccoli she’s ever had has never had an insect crawl on it?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Happened to me too! Scared the life out of me. Looked like an earwig except it was bigger and ran at about 20mph (ish)

I ate it by the way. Why wouldn’t you!?

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s a logical thing for her, currently. Plus the insects are actually in the pan floating about and potentially infusing the food with bugness.

Solo
    Free Member

infusing the food with bugness

😥

muckytee
    Free Member

Did you wash that broccoli?

ocrider

Careful now, you’ll break the internet.

CaptJon
    Free Member

You should have seen some of the spiders we used to find in the bananas when i worked for Tesco.

loum
    Free Member

If you’ve not eaten it by now it’ll have gone cold.
    I wouldn’t fancy it re-heated, freshly cooked is always best.

molgrips
    Free Member

We ate it.

Cougar

Can insects be safely reheated?

spooky_b329

You should have seen some of the spiders we used to find in the bananas when i worked for Tesco.

Tick…I loaded up the Banana stand once and a few minutes later had a panicked customer report a spider to me. I got a plastic pot off the Deli, scooped it up and we all had a good look. Only about 20 or 30mm across but it was bright red. Manager told me we had to keep it in case there was any comeback, not wanting it to starve to death in its prison, we stuck it in one of the freezers out back, when we went back to check it looked very boring as it had lost all of its red colouring 🙁 Probably went into the compactor a few weeks later…

molgrips
    Free Member

The legislation on bulk goods like flour etc isn’t whether or not there are insects in it, but how many insects are allowed per ton. In other words, we can’t avoid eating insects in our food.

GrahamS

Mongolian Death Beetle. If your tongue goes limp or you notice any bleeding from you eyes then give NHS 24 a call.

andytherocketeer

or move to the netherlands.

they don’t grow veg in planet earth. they pretty much synthesise veg in lab conditions.

scaredypants

ran at about 20mph (ish)
    I ate it by the way. Why wouldn’t you!?

I wouldn’t bother to chase it down and kill it, but there you go – I’m lazy

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Insects in the broccoli (survey)’ is closed to new replies.