Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • infuriated by ignorant roadies? have you ever tried this….
  • aracer
    Free Member

I must be completely ignorant, as I say hello to far more ramblers when I'm out riding on the hills than I do to other people on bikes when I'm riding on the road. Is the OP sure none of them raised a little finger to acknowledge his presence (as is standard for acknowledging other people on the road)?

Though I actually recommend he does do what he was originally thinking of and register on their forum to post abuse. Could you just let us know first what club it is, so we can watch – should be amusing? Not that either of the roadie clubs I've belonged to has a forum on their websites last time I checked.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I would find them passing 12" away very annoying and would say so – but not saying hello? WGAS! I find it very strange to say hello to people just because they are on a bike. If its somewhere remote or the weather particularly foul or nice I might pass comment but other wise? Why

I do tend to acknowledge ramblers as aracer says – to thank them if they let me past and for good PR

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I was out on Saturday morning when I had a rear blowout. I was stranded on the side of the road waiting for Mrs MM to pick me up when this licra clad roadie took the time to stop and ask if I needed help. I was quite shock as this shattered my illusion that all roadies are appartently ignorant. Not knowing what do I ignored him. 😉 Then I realised I was in my roadie tribal colours and chased him on foot to aplologies but it was to late, he'd gone. Am I a bad person? 🙄

oldgit
    Free Member

I generally find it's MTBers that are too cool for school, they're probably in the zone 🙄
    Jedi did we get a nod from any MTBers…..no. We did enjoy being overtaken by the MTBer, who almost in a loss of self control threw his arms in the air 'stage winner' stylee.
    I say helo to everything man or beast.
    Yesterday was a good day for mutual nodding 😆

rOcKeTdOg

I was out on Saturday morning when I had a rear blowout. I was stranded on the side of the road waiting for Mrs MM to pick me up, am i a bad person

yes, you didn't have a spare tube and pump? 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I didn't know what a "club shirt" was. So I Googled it.

I'd be bloody infuriated if he didn't say "hellooo!" too

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I had a pump and two tubes and also a big hole in the tyre. Tried repairing hole but patches wouldn't stick to tyre wall. Didn't want it to happen again so called it a day.

poppa
    Free Member

I usually do the 'handlebar partial-wave', unless I am hello'd at, in which case I hello back. Sometimes I am working too hard to say hello…

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

I mainly ride off road but have to suffer the road bike to keep fit.
    Due to a serious accident on the road caused by an old duffer I do ride defensively when necessary i.e. Poor road surface, parked cars etc.
    During every ride I have been skimmed by at least one car driver. Usual culprit: old male duffer who probably thinks it's illegal to cross any form of white line to overtake.

If you can't overtake cleanly-don't bother!

wwaswas

JoB "most of them do, because i'm quite handsome"

well, that and the stem mounted bazooka…

james-o
    Free Member

i ride on the road a fair bit and when i do i often don't feel like saying hi to everyone i pass, i'm in my own world cos i like riding alone sometimes. sorry if i've offended anyone locally!! but i don't get why would you feel offended if i don't know you? maybe some see it as simple courtesy but i'd say that's more about offering help to riders at the side of the road etc, it's different. i always do it and i always appreciate being asked.

agree with TJ, i'm more likely to say hi to older walkers, either as pr and/or just cos i like cheery walkers )

chipps

Do you have a Tom Selleck moustache? (See current issue of Singletrack for Ferrentino's column on the very same subject)

I smile, wave and nod at everyone. It makes me feel better at least. 🙂

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

"Dear Cycling Weekly,

I'm infuriated by mountain bikers who insist on churning along on big fat knobbly tyres thinking they'll get fitter, and then complain on those new fangled internet forums that a local chain gang failed to acknoledge them on a ride – do they not know that that gang will have been riding at threshold, therefore wouldn't have the breath to acknowledge them, even if they'd wanted to?

Yours sincerley

Lance Armpong

westkipper
    Free Member

Y'know,for some reason, this thread reminds me of the Pai Mei story from Kill Bill 🙂

loco_pollo
    Free Member

Never interrupt roadies in the middle of a bum chain, they need to concentrate.

MarkDatz
    Free Member

If pepel arnt frendly I get my mom to tell there mom they shuld be my frend my momis wikid cool

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Careful Mark Datz, you're starting to give yourself away!!! 😕

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

perhaps i have a face that makes people angry? but riding a road bike doesn't appear much fun. Mostly people are friendly and I always say hello when out riding, or at least raise a hand, nod of head to greet them.
    Only Roadies are a bunch I'm used to not receiving any response from. Is road cycling run by the Probation service, is it community payback scheme being made to ride endless miles with only the backside of the bloke in front for a view? Mountain biking is just like road riding just with more stops to chat and 100 percent more cake.

If I was overtaken by a bunch of roadies going only 3mph faster, I wouldn't worry too much about saying hello, I'd keep quiet and tag on the back for a free slipstream.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Last time I checked roadies are just normal people who ride bikes for fun.However some of the road riding is training rather than social riding-great fun but between hanging on and missing holes in the road you don't always see every other cyclist on the road.

oldgit
    Free Member

Name other sports where participants wave to each other.

Edit; that makes waving sound furiously gay.

genesis
    Free Member

Don't get this whole tribalist them and us thing, aren't we all riding bikes?

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

oldgit – Member
    Name other sports where participants wave to each other.

Edit; that makes waving sound furiously gay.

At least we don't play football, they seem to like slapping each others backsides…

steve_b77
    Free Member

"mummy, the nasty boys who past me yesterday didn't say hello, I don't like them anymore and they all look like girls with their shaved legs and tights on"

Get over it, imagine pleasantries in any other "sport" and you'll soon find cyclists are pretty friendly.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Honestly, why do we have to have a roadie bashing thread every bloody week? It's like a stupid playground gang thing or something.

Keep your petty prejudices to yourself.

oldgit
    Free Member

Thing is to roadies the training is part of the race that coming weekend, everything is a pre cursor to that day.

On the other hand someone who happens to own a road bike and rides it as well ought to be more social. Bet all the miserable ones are MTBers stiching us up 😡

oldgit
    Free Member

Hey steve_b77 talking about shaven legs, do you think it's too early?
    And I was wondering about a light spray tan to avoid the Icelands budget frozen chicken look.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Is this some strange new definition of the word ignorant?

It's the standard defintion on internet forums I think.

oldgit
    Free Member

Disaster strikes when roadies fail to wave at Teddy

Edit; Darn nabbit how do you link a youtube clip?

steve_b77
    Free Member

oldgit – Member
    Hey steve_b77 talking about shaven legs, do you think it's too early?
    And I was wondering about a light spray tan to avoid the Icelands budget frozen chicken look

Maybe, not too sure it'd go down too well with 'er in doors though 😆

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘infuriated by ignorant roadies? have you ever tried this….’ is closed to new replies.