Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Clearing snow off the pavement – misreable neighbour content
  • andybach
    Free Member

Since the snow started i have been clearing a path along the pavement outside my house (middle of a terrace) and my 2 neighbours' houses.

One other neighbour on our street has done their bit but no-one else has bothered and most of the pavements are 4 inches thick in compacted snow.

i had a splurge of energy this evening and cleared all the pavement completely outside my house and piled it up on the front grass.

Just as i'm finishing and carrying the shovel around the back out of sight , someone parks-up just past my house and says "oh – for gods sake look at that – what does he expect a medal" .

I was very tempted to say something but stayed out of sight.

So should i have bothered clearing the snow or made some some comment about being public spirited or just whinged about how crap the Local Council are?

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Should have pwned them with said shovel.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The answer to that is "No, but you could at least have some manners and say thankyou"

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    retro83
    Free Member

sneak out at night and write/draw something in yellow snow on their front garden

djglover
    Free Member

Do you want a medal though?

jj55

Councils aren't crap they are being prudent and saving your council tax money – if they put enough resources into clearing everything you would have a real stinker of a council tax bill. Clear it and ignore the neighbours they are obviously feeling very guilty!

MrNutt
    Free Member

shovel it all on their lawn in the middle of the night 😀

scaredypants

shift the pile to his garden/front step/car bonnet and mould into the shape of a giant cock

BTW, you should've definitely said hello to him 🙄

stratobiker
    Free Member

Don't fret it.
    You had the work out, and you got the Karma.
    SB

singlecrack
    Free Member

shovel the snow back onto said neighbour's path

luke
    Free Member

make a snow wall around his car and then put some water on it, just to help it freeze a bit better.

TheSanityAssassin

I often think that in situations like this the most effective response is to post a 'mildly disgruntled' whinge on an internet forum, using a pseudonym. Everyone 'knows where they are' then….

luke
    Free Member

or just say yes please to the medal.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

stratobiker – Member
    Don't fret it.
    You had the work out, and you got the Karma.
    SB

seconded. good karma. You are a nice bloke. that neighbour of yours obviously isn't.

fisha
    Free Member

next time i would do the whole street and explicitly leave his bit untouched.

GrahamS

Simply form the pile of snow into a giant snow cock and add an arrow. 😀

ski
    Free Member

fisha – Member

next time i would do the whole street and explicitly leave his bit untouched.

lol, theres a street like that near me 😉

andybach
    Free Member

I did think i could nominate her for a good neighbour award……….

It was a good workout and i do think the coucil have done a pretty good job in difficult circumstances.

Now chilling with some badger beer and feeling a lot better!

Thanks for the comments

DezB
    Free Member

You're a lot fitter than me mate. I was shagged out after just doing me own drive!
    Medal on it's way.

ski
    Free Member

Then again, you cannot beat a huge…

taka
    Free Member

put it right in front of his doors and lower windows

project
    Free Member

Done the same at home,30 neighbours and only one said thankyou.

Flaperon

Shovel it over his car in the middle of the night.

A very quick and evil way of ruining someone's morning would be to empty a bucket of cold water over his car (whole lot will freeze solid), shovel the snow on top, then add a bucket of water on top of that.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

take a dump on his doorstep!!

put some water in his petrol filler cap- it will freeze over!

JRTG
    Free Member

i think i read somewhere that if you clear your street and someone slips over, you are now liable not the council…….funny world we live in!

ski
    Free Member

JRTG – Member

i think i read somewhere that if you clear your street and someone slips over, you are now liable not the council…….funny world we live in!

I have heard this quoted many times too, but has there ever been an actual case?

caledonia
    Free Member

Did the same today for me and my two neighbors.
    We also have a bus stop right outside, so the ppl using that will also benefit.

Mainly did it so that the workies fitting my new windows next week don't slip and break one !

Karma ! 8)

oldgit
    Free Member

I mentioned this on a post a few days ago, it just used to be the done thing, dads shoveling snow.

LeeW

Just put some water on his front step, get up evey hour during the night and do it again.

Then watch in the morning when he goes out to buy the Star or whatever.

Kahurangi

All of these suggestions of retribution are petty and stupid. And they rely on you knowing who the offender is or where they live.

You've already shown yourself to be the better man. Your friends appreciate you, and you can count a bunch of people on the internet as those who wish they had shovelled as much snow as you.

Northwind

OTOH, my neighbour cleared his pavement just before christmas, and now it's an evil impassable ice rink while my pavement is still covered in 6 inches of nice grippy snow.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"while my pavement is still covered in 6 inches of nice grippy snow. "

Be a good neighbour and spread some "grippy" snow on his cleared path

Northwind

Doesn't work like that, snow on ice can be worse than just plain ice, but because the rest of the snow hasn't been cut back there's no ice sheet under it- just snow on snow. I spent a winter on crutches and honestly, I wish people would just leave the stuff how it is, snow can be hard work but it's consistent and offers a reasonable amount of grip.

metalheart
    Free Member

Nah, you did what you felt was right. The fact that some nonce doesn't see it doesn't change that. You get to bask in your warm glow of civic duty fulfilled. Leave bitter and twisted to the neighbour…

GrahamS

Absolute bollocks – but frequently quoted.

You are only liable if you CREATE a hazard. So if you clear all the snow using hot water, creating an ice rink or if you clear the snow and pile it where someone might fall over it or back a car into it then you could be liable.

If you do a normal job of clearing the snow and create no foreseeable hazard then you are fine.

Also you have a duty of care to people visiting your door (i.e. postmen) which means that strictly speaking you could be liable if you DIDN'T clear the snow from your path and they fell.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sorry I was being mildy sarcastic 🙂

There's a gradient on our road which is OK except for a wretched speed hump which is a devil to climb over without slipping; it was sporting a shiny compacted surface.
    I decided enough was enough and attacked it with a shovel and grit (I have a secret stash for this sort of thing). No-one saw me so I wont get blamed when a BMW suddenly finds grip and careers into a pedestrian.

There goes that sarcasm again!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"if you clear the snow and pile it where someone might fall over it "

So that rules out making a big snow c0ck then?

lister-hooded
    Free Member

[quoteJRTG – Member
    i think i read somewhere that if you clear your street and someone slips over, you are now liable not the council…….funny world we live in! [/quote]
    As said above .. another H & S myth… intersting piece on breaky tele this morning relating to this myth, Lawyer type chappie basically said any one who tried to sue you would have to prove you acted willfully and with Malice.

I.E … You cleared the path with intention of causing harm to some one

westkipper
    Free Member

I have to say, that there is some truth in what northwind says, as someone who has to spend five hours of my working day,six days walking up and down peoples drives, paths and pavements delivering post.
    While I think its good that folk are showing a bit of civic responsibility and all, generally its the uncleared stuff that is the grippiest. Some of the cleared paths are bloody lethal, especially after one or two days of thaw/freeze.
    If your going to do it, either re-do it every day, or dont bother.
    ( the thought was nice though)

porterclough
    Free Member

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks that snow isn't slippy, but slush and ice is. All the pavements near me are fine to walk on apart from the bit near the shops that somebody put salt on, which is causing people to walk on the road instead.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Clearing snow off the pavement – misreable neighbour content’ is closed to new replies.