• This topic has 12 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • In car portable DVD player for a little one
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Any suggestions?

Got a few long drives coming up and think we ought to get our little one (almost 2) a DVD player for the car.

Needs to be portable and able to fit onto the front of a headrest (his car seat is rear facing) of the rear seat.

Prices seem to vary a lot and I have less than no idea.

br
    Free Member

He's 2 and in a rear facing seat – where's his legs go?

Sorry if there is something I don't know…

Our son has had a simple portable one for years, with a lighter power lead. Worked fine.

molgrips
    Free Member

2 seems old for a rear facing seat. Our daughter loves looking out of the front of the car…

downshep

Bought a twin 7" screen Nextbase cheapie DVD from Play.com. Best thing ever, not a peep from the kids on a joyless 11 hour drive from Dorset to Cumbria.

The screens attach to any soft headrest using velcro straps, so front or rear facing would work.

Is your 2 year old tiny?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Come on guys, get with the program.

Rear facing seats have been proven to be 5 times safer for 1+ year olds. I imported one from Sweden as they aren't widely available here yet:

http://www.rearfacing.co.uk

We've got the Britax Multi-tech – safest one around.

http://www.carseat.se/store.html

Rear Facing Basics

In would put this kid at about 3-4 years old:

Our two year old is above average size and above averagely safe as well as above averagely comfortable.

TBH if you have a front facing seat, you're slacking on safety. I'm slightly alarmed none of you know about them.

Downshep – thanks!

rusky
    Free Member

I have a philips twin screen DVD setup. The master has a battery that will last a normal film & means you can set the film running without having the engine running which is also good for when you stop for fuel etc.

Paid about £120. This looks like the replacemnt for mine http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/philips-pd7022-dual-screen-portable-dvd-player-05123732-pdt.html

the-muffin-man

TBH if you have a front facing seat, you're slacking on safety. I'm slightly alarmed none of you know about them.

****!!! – how did I miss such vital safety info!? I'm going to get my spanners from the shed right now and flip my drivers seat round!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Ooh, that looks well cramped. Also if I were in that seat I'd get well peed off with not being able to see out front. Have you considered some kind of mirror arrangement so you can make eye contact with your lad? 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Interesting on that BMJ link it says 3 kids died rear facing and six front facing – doesn't say how many accidents there are.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mol – we have a mirror set up. He's mote than happy in it. There's loads of research available and it all points to rear facing seats being much safer. I did loads of background research into it all – not just Googleing, I also spoke to lots of real people.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don't doubt that it's safer. But I am not sure I like the idea for my daughter nonetheless.

(NB Just sharing my thoughts on the rear seat arrangement, you are free to do as you wish. At least it doesn't put unnecessary strain on the environment 🙂 )

ace_sparky
    Free Member

Just bought a 7" Nextbase twin DVD player from Amazon, £120.00. Only arrived a few days ago ready for a trip up to Skye next week. Had a play with it in the house and I am really impressed, why pay mega bucks for something that's only going to get used a few times a year! Simple and easy to use and pretty good quality too. Comes with a remote, carry case, 230v plug, 12v car lead and other leads, easy to mount and fit in car. Good thing is that when the car engine is turned off at a petrol station etc. the dvd will start from where it stopped without having to faff about with the menu to get back to where you left off in the film (I guess that would keep the little ones happy)

br
    Free Member

I'm sure he'd be safer still if his dad bought a proper sized car, rather than a wee 3 series rep can 😉

On a sensible note, I realise that rear facing is safer for all – I choose these seats on trains (and BA sleep-seats). But can't help but think that its barely safer than a properly fitted seat in a decent car, as opposed to the 'average' – which no doubt includes the entire family (and inlaws) in a Carina as we often get around here…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘In car portable DVD player for a little one’ is closed to new replies.