Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Immigrants anyone?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/romanians-kicked-off-imperial-war-museum-grounds-back-sleeping-rough-at-marble-arch-8811012.html

Hakan Altay, who has run the nearby Hakan Altay Hair and Beauty Salon for 36 years, added: “The police should act more strongly. The council try – they clean up, but we need a more permanent solution.”

Well I’m sure he could find a supplier.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Strange stance from the normally over-compassionate Standard.

samuri
    Free Member

Forgive my ignorance but is Romania a terrible place to be at the moment?
    These people come here looking for jobs and then end up sleeping rough, is it worse back in Romania?
    I’m struggling to understand what would draw people voluntarily to such a lifestyle.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The right to free movement for EU citizens doesn’t translate into a right to behave anti socially in the European capital of your choice”

too right i believe our behaviour abroad is impeccable , especially on stag dos IIRC

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

too right i believe our behaviour abroad is impeccable , especially on stag dos IIRC
    I’ve been to a few places where ‘our’ behaviour leaves a bit to be desired. The Russians however, take it to a new level.

stumpyjon

Madrid has a real problem with Roma rough sleepers. Freedom of movement is fine as is freedom to work but that shouldn’t extend to being an anti-social problem whilst ‘looking’ for work. If you can’t support yourself / have someone else support you if should be a one way ticket home and no return for at least a year.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    I’ve been to a few places where ‘our’ behaviour leaves a bit to be desired. The Russians however, take it to a new level.

Why don’t you link to an article that discusses this problem then ? Your article makes no mention at all of Russian behaviour abroad.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Aye, cos all Brits abroad act like dicks…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just like all Romanians apparently…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ernie, stop being a TJ wannabee will ya. I don’t troll the interweb looking for facts like you seem to do. (your’e good at it though, I’ll give you that), I just report on what I’ve witnessed.

Anyway, my OP was more to do with…Hakan Altay, who has run the nearby Hakan Altay Hair and Beauty Salon for 36 years, added: “The police should act more strongly. The council try – they clean up, but we need a more permanent solution.”

Hair salon…permanent solution? No? Forget it. 🙄

chewkw
    Free Member

The Romanians I know are nothing like this lot at all.

This lot looks like they are from a particular community in Romania. The pickpocket type …

grum
    Free Member

These people come here looking for jobs and then end up sleeping rough, is it worse back in Romania?
    I’m struggling to understand what would draw people voluntarily to such a lifestyle.

If you’re a gypsy it is – Romania is an astonishingly racist place, and some of the gypsy villages there would put many third world countries to shame. And yes I’ve been there – more than once, and hung out with locals.

This lot looks like they are from a particular community in Romania.

Not just Romanians who are racist either.

Ernie, stop being a TJ wannabee will ya. I don’t troll the interweb looking for facts like you seem to do.

You and your facts. You can prove anything with facts.

iolo
    Free Member

I know several Romanians, most are in a course I attend in Vienna.
    They are some of the funniest, generous and polite people I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet.
    Many are now my friends.
    Some people don’t half post some crap on here.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Paris has a big problem with Romanians, it’s not just London …

chewkw
    Free Member

grum – Member

This lot looks like they are from a particular community in Romania.

Not just Romanians who are racist either.

Or they want to be fed … is that racist?

🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Or they want to be fed … is that racist?

No I’d call it weaselling.

Dear Leader, maggots, erection inducing handguns, etc etc.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Ernie, stop being a TJ wannabee will ya. I don’t troll the interweb looking for facts like you seem to do. (your’e good at it though, I’ll give you that), I just report on what I’ve witnessed.

You provided a link in your OP, you didn’t just ‘report on what you’ve witnessed’. So how about providing a link to back up your claim concerning Russian behaviour abroad ?

I have no idea what this has to do with TJ btw.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Grum, why did you bring the ‘R’ word into the post? Now look what you’ve done.
    My OP was nothing to do with, & didn’t mention, racism. it was mainly about a hairdresser & a ‘permanent solution’ FFS!

This is the main reason why I frequent this site though, It’s sooo predictable & amusing!

Northwind

Is this entire thread really about a handful of romanians?

Just to state the unbelievably bloody obvious- if you’re choosing to travel hundreds of miles in order to sleep in the street in another country, yes, things must be pretty shit back home. Mr Habib might want to ask himself why, if they’re doing so brilliantly begging, they don’t have a roof. Or even a decent sleeping bag between them.

takisawa2

Can you prove Russians aren’t dicks abroad…?

Hey…
    Hey…
    Yeah…

[Door slams, fading footsteps]

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

This is the main reason why I frequent this site though, It’s sooo predictable & amusing!

To be fair I find you rather predictable esselgruntfuttock, although in a tragic rather than amusing way 🙂

grum
    Free Member

My OP was nothing to do with, & didn’t mention, racism. it was mainly about a hairdresser & a ‘permanent solution’ FFS!

Yes, who would have thought a thread called ‘immigrants anyone?’ with a link to an article about Romanian beggars in the Standard might possibly have any link to racism. 🙄

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

FFS Ernie, if I hadn’t shown the original link then the bit about the hair salon & ‘permanent solution’, would’ve been your elephant. irrelevant. Junkyard then said, too right i believe our behaviour abroad is impeccable , especially on stag dos IIRC[/i
    To which I mentioned the Russians behaviour. Where I’m going to get ‘facts’ about Russian tourists compared to British tourists is beyond me.
    You find it, I’ll post it. All I can go off is from what I’ve seen on my travels. The MAJORITY of Russian tourists I’ve seen are plain nasty & much worse than British tourists, (who can also be ignorant/arrogant & rude to their hosts)

TJ was like you, loved to state ‘facts’ rather than personal experience.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well the great advantage about “personal experience” as you call it, is that it can’t be challenged. After all how does anyone know what you’ve experienced or not experienced.

So you carry on ignoring facts and just focus on “personal experience”. And remember, you make as wild as an allegation as you fancy, about anyone or anything, because of course no one can challenge you. Which is rather handy.

loddrik
    Free Member

Went to Sharm in April, hotel we were at had probably 50% Russians. Other than a complete lack of queue manners and ropey dress sense, they were all fine and behaved as well if not better than the Brits.

With regards queuing, its just that the Brits do queue where as the Russians seem to ‘go for the gap’. Other than that I couldn’t say anything bad about them.

konabunny
    Free Member

Racism has everything to do with why the people sleeping rough prefer to do that in London instead of living in Romania.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

about anyone or anything,
    Just Russian tourists in Goa & Cyprus at the moment Ernie. Stick to the subject please & don’t try to expand the topic, which you already have done to a great degree.
    I admit, I don’t have a clue where to get any facts about Russian tourists vs UK tourists & their behaviour/attitude but if you point me in the right direction…

Or we could meet up for a ride & talk properly instead of on here?

I assume you do have a bike though!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Stick to the subject please & don’t try to expand the topic, which you already have done to a great degree.

You started a thread by posting a link which discusses homeless Romanians living in the UK under the EU right of free movement of labour, and then quickly move on to slagging off the alleged behaviour of Russian tourists on holiday in foreign countries.

I think you’ve managed perfectly well to “expand the topic” without any serious help from me.

grum
    Free Member

Stick to the subject please

What is the subject – that a man said ‘permanent solution’ and that sounds a bit like ‘final solution’? Is that really all we’re allowed to talk about?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Ernie, you are arguing with a blunt screw. It’s pointless 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

What is the subject – that a man said ‘permanent solution’ and that sounds a bit like ‘final solution’? Is that really all we’re allowed to talk about?

That is a factor that hasn’t actually been mentioned, mainly because essel appears to be entirely oblivious to it.

benz
    Free Member

Permanent solution……like it……down to salon services then we have curly haired immigrants.

khani
    Free Member

You and your facts. You can prove anything with facts

😀

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I’m in Bucharest with work just now and despite being one of the richer areas of the country, if not richest, it’s truly eye opening. I didn’t understand before why someone would head to the UK to sleep on our streets, but having experienced some of the less affluent areas here as well as the ‘wealthy’ areas, it’s easy to see why the UK is so appealing. We are very rich in comparison and the potential of decent quality accommodation and a job is a strong draw.

ononeorange

Where’s SquareBob Spongebrain or whatever his name is? I am sure he could add some eloquence and incisive thought to this thread.

Edukator
    Free Member

Immigrants anyone?

Yup, us. Always paid my way and my taxes. I don’t beg, rob or steal. I don’t live in a ghetto and I dress like the natives. I’m thankful the country gave me a chance, sing the anthem with enthusiasm and get on with enjoying life.

ononeorange

But do you break into people’s houses and re-arrange their furniture?

footflaps

I’m in Bucharest with work just now and despite being one of the richer areas of the country, if not richest, it’s truly eye opening. I didn’t understand before why someone would head to the UK to sleep on our streets, but having experienced some of the less affluent areas here as well as the ‘wealthy’ areas, it’s easy to see why the UK is so appealing. We are very rich in comparison and the potential of decent quality accommodation and a job is a strong draw.

Do you realise what you’re doing? Bringing relevant facts and information to a thread when all we really want is blind assumptions, stereotypes, innuendo all mixed up with pointless arguing. You’ll give STW a bad name if you carry on like this.

wwaswas

I dress like the natives

Edukator earlier;

kimbers

The only Romanian I know has a PhD in molecular biology and is an expert in live cell fluorescent microscopy.

As far as I know she’s always paid her taxes and never eaten one of the queens swans.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Immigrants anyone?’ is closed to new replies.