Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • immersing oneself in very cold water
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

picture the scene;

the air temp is 10-15 degrees, you’re going canoeing on a fastish snow-melt river for a few hours, and you expect to fall in at some point. you have no access to a wetsuit.

do you

a) wear as many clothes as possible, with a waterproof outer (to keep spray off) – when you fall in, all your clothes get wet, but the increased number of layers (inc thermal lycra, thermals and ski pants) help you keep any warmth in.

b) wear as little as you can get away with, as this will soak up less water.

i’ve got 3 hours to make my mind up!

samuri
    Free Member

a), making sure you have some dry clothes to wear once you’ve finished.

toys19
    Free Member

don’t go, sounds awful.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

c) Who cares as long as you film for our amusement. Make sure you don’t full on die though as it could be a little distasteful.

Honestly though, when I used to paddle with a drysuit I’d be sweating if I wore too thick a set of thermals no matter how cold it was, so…

I’d suggest a fully windproof outer, that is as well sealed as possible combined with wool thermals.

Stoner
    Free Member

get jiggy with a full body embrocation/vaseline slathering.

joemarshall
    Free Member

C)Go to a wetsuit shop now.

seriously, cheap wetsuits are fine, and not that expensive.

Otherwise, more clothes not less, and all artificial fibres (fleeces, bike/walking tops etc) as you’ll surely warm up quicker in those.

Although having said that, unless you have somewhere to stow clothes while you paddle, don’t go overboard on the layers, kayaking is pretty hard work, and it’s a pretty mild air temp.

joemc
    Free Member

Cheap, plastic waterproof jacket and trousers, plus liberal application of duct tape makes a perfectly acceptable drysuit. Remember to tape over the zip too. It stings a bit getting the tape back off hairy wrists and ankles, but you should be pretty dry underneath.

matt_outandabout

Wear lots of fleece layers, with a baselayer underneath and waterproofs on top.
    Take spare clothes in waterproof bag (taped up bin bagsx5 layers at worst) and some more for end.
    We do this all year round with group members, rarely have problems.

Cantle Canoe Trip by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

qwerty
    Free Member

D) dress in merino and Buffalo clothing to test the warm when wet theory.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d be a bit worried about being so heavy with a) that you can’t get back in the boat. Fleece could be useful for this though because the water runs out of it.

matt_outandabout

It would not be an issue. On a river you usually head for the side anyway, not climb back in a moving boat!
    I would not tape up, let the water out.
    I gorge walk year round in fleece and old waterproofs…regularly soaked, good couple of merino baselayers, old Ultrafleece trousers or bibs and a couple of old Patagonia fleeces, with old leaky waterproofs on top and I am toasty warm!
    Wellies and wool socks also= warm, cheap dryboots with more support. Ace for paddling in as well, as long as they don’t fall off when you swim!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Are you filming for Jackass 4?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

thanks guys – matt – thats exactily the type of activity i’m expecting.

unfortunately ski resorts aren’t a great place to find wetsuits 😉

planning on taking a go pro with us – will post a video in the next few days all being well!

so my plan is therefore this…

3/4 fleece lined bib shorts
    helly long johns
    ski pants
    ski socks
    trainers

HH base layer
    ground effect base layer
    endura fleece
    whatever waterproof top i can find

gloves

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

clothing worked pretty well – thanks!

my lack of swimming ability made one section of fast water, moving into a gorge, slightly, er, scary. video hopefully up in the next few days!

matt_outandabout

8)

heresjonny
    Free Member

I will be swimming in the sea this weekend with only me speedo’s,cap and goggles for company. Start of the new Channel swimming season training is upon us. 2 relay attempts this year.

DezB
    Free Member

Do you just get used to the cold water heresjonny?
    Thinking of doing some sea swimming and it’d be good if I didn’t need a wetsuit.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m told that yes, one does get used to it, and it’s a great way to lose weight. People do ridiculous cold water swims all the time. That woman swam at the north pole, and swam the Bering Strait too without a wetsuit.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘immersing oneself in very cold water’ is closed to new replies.