Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • I'm sure it's been said before
  • emma82
    Free Member

but I just wanted to say it again seeing as it’s on the front page of STW right now, I hate the 2012 logo, it looks like Lisa Simpson giving someone a blowie. Or is that just my dirty mind? It’s awful 🙁

Admiralable
    Free Member

Can’t see it myself but I’m tired and dirty minded out today 🙁

geoffj

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Yeah it looks like lisas sucking Bart

simonralli2
    Free Member

What’s happened to those one eyed monsters who are the mascots? Are they still going or have they been dumped?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Personally I just see:

SH
    IT

But that’s maybe cause I dirtied my pants today 🙁

Really – the logo is truly awful.

phil.w
    Free Member

maybe this will help admiralable…

Jamie
    Free Member

I cannot see it without thinking its Lisa Simpson giving someone fun times….never thought it was Bart though.

emma82
    Free Member

ha, I love Geoffs version. Much better and Phil’s does make it clearer what is actually going on. It is hideous. The mascots are even worse and seem to have disappeared from existence…. says it all really. I think technically they are still around though

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Just shown the logo to MrFC on Google images. He’s never seen it before.
    I asked him what it reminded him of. He said…”looks like someone’s giving someone a blow-job”!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh dear… 8)

emma82
    Free Member

hahahahaha, so it’s not just me then!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The logo isn’t spectacular but the brand is great – vibrant, fresh, unique and definitely not a typical Olympic identity.

Kuco

Don’t really see the blowjob on the original but definitely spells S H I T

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ha ha! Look at that funny little Burberry thing with White Lightning and everything! Brilliant!

The Whole Lympic branding exercise has been a **** joke. Those responsible should be locked up in the Tower. Cost millions no doubt; I could’ve done a better job on my own. And I don’t say that with any arrogance. The official logo and branding is piss-poor, the whole lot of it.

The logo isn’t spectacular but the brand is great – vibrant, fresh, unique and definitely not a typical Olympic identity.

Eh? Åre you serious? It’s shite!

Just about every single person I’ve spoken to thinks it’s shit. You’d have to have absolutely no taste or sense of aesthetics to think it’s actually good!

I’d prefer that funny little Burberry thing though! What is it?

emma82
    Free Member

That little furry thing Elfinsafety is called a Furby. Created by the devil to watch human mortals. My brother used to collect them when he was little. He had 61 at one point, every single one of them different and all of them possessed little demon creatures. They talk and will respond to one another if put opposite or close enough for sound recognition which was their selling point. Try being in bed asleep one night and having them all in the cupboard in the hallway, one malfunctions as its batteries are dying, sets off ALL of the F**CKING things. I have never been so freaked out in my life. Good thing was it scared the living sheet outta my brother so they all had to go 🙂

61 of these F**CKING things in the middle of the night. Not that I’m still disturbed or anything:

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well now what a truly bizarre thing. 😯

61 of these F**CKING things in the middle of the night. Not that I’m still disturbed or anything:

Jeeze, I’m disturbed just seeing that vid of three of them. Spehsly the one in the middle. Sits there just staring at you, then all of a sudden goes mad.

Do they do a Burberry Furby (!) then? I want one…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Eh? Åre you serious? It’s shite!
    Just about every single person I’ve spoken to thinks it’s shit. You’d have to have absolutely no taste or sense of aesthetics to think it’s actually good!

Yes I am being serious. and read what I said – I said the BRAND is good, not the logo specifically.

emma82
    Free Member

eBay i suspect. There is bound to be one, there are elvis ones stuff like that. Just don’t feed them after midnight and keep them away from cats, cats get very upset around them.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yes I am being serious. and read what I said – I said the BRAND is good, not the logo specifically.

Mate, I live in an area where that ‘brand’ is plastered all over everything; posters, hoardings, buses, stuff in supermarkets, even in places like hospitals ffs. It’s nasty. Virtually no-one round here likes it, and we’re the ones who have to see it every bloody day, remind us how much money is being wasted on a flippin’ circus while local services are being slashed.

It’s shite branding; it evokes nothing of London, the Lympics, people, celebration- nothing. None of the meaning it should convey.

Look at these logos from previous Lympics. Granted, not all are fantastic, but loads better than ours. They all evoke the place or culture of where they were held, maybe Atlanta’s one is a little weak. But Barçelona’s is great (Juan Miro design), as is Seoul’s, and Sydney’s has a little boomerang!

What does London’s ‘brand’ say about London? Absolutely bugger all. It’s not even in the right kind of colours, ffs. You’d think, with London having one of the most globally recognisable bits of graphic design around, the Underground map, not to mention so many iconic landmarks, that they could perhaps have come up with something decent, but oh no. We get Lisa Simpson giving a blow-job. 🙄

I mean, last time I was in Barçelona, in 2006, there were places selling commemorative Lympic stuff. 14 years after the event. That’s how proud they are of their Lympics. Who in their right mind is going to want a London 2012 tea set or special edition lingerie, with that abomination upon it? No-one!

Check out thse logos for candidate cities for 2016. Notice how they all involve some aspect of each place. Well, sort of. Dunno what Prague’s one is all about. But they’re all far nicer than London’s.

Particularly love Chicago’s, the first one that is. Beautiful. That one is Elfinapproved, for sure.

And look; Beijing even had Furbies!!!

Marge
    Free Member

I hadn’t seen the logo before but crikey… 😯
    It seems to be an example of trying to find something ‘new’ for the sake of it. The Olympics just seem to a battle about who can spend the most & out do the previous one. The sporting aspect seems to be a secondary consideration now 🙁

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Okay Fred so you show me more logos and what did I say about the logo? Go and look at some of the branding and report back please.

Kahurangi

Nice post Elfin, but since London has jumped the shark all those logos for 2016 applicants have now a new creative aspect to them. In comparison the pre 2012 logos are all the same!

Agreed that the 2010 logo is awful and has no stylistic or artisitc merit (in its static format). 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

only someone who is into branding and logos and similar marketing bollox would think the London Olympic stuff any good – to the general public its just utter shite.

MF – it really is rubbish to anyone outside of the wankfest that is marketing

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I see the ‘brand’ every flipping day mate! Do you?

The garish colours are flippin’ everywhere round here. The ‘brand’ does not convey anything about London, the Lympics, nothing. I’ve presented my case quite clearly above.

It’s quite simply the worst logo and ‘brand’ in Lympic history. When they fist unveiled it, I genuinely thought it was a joke. As did most other people. Then, following universal condemnation of it, I really thought it would be scrapped, and a new one done. But no! They kept it!!!! FFS!

So come one then; explain why you think it’s such a good ‘brand’, then.

Mastiles Fanylion to the stand, please.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Reminds me of the opneing credits to some awful 80’s tv show!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And Fred – have you seen the glaring omission from every 2016 ‘Applicant’ logo? It does afford them greater creative flexibility…

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m not really clear what the difference is between branding and logo is, all I see is a cack logo. It would be really good MF if you could post a link to an example of the great branding, so I know what I’m meant to be looking for.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

have you seen the glaring omission from every 2016 ‘Applicant’ logo?

Go on then, what is it?

I admit, I haven’t been to art college and done a degree in design, I just work on what I know will have appeal to clients and the public. I admit I have loads to learn. But I know enough to know when something is shite.

MF; don’t try being all clever, come on, explain why it’s such a good brand. Come on!

MF – it really is rubbish to anyone outside of the wankfest that is marketing

😆 It’s true though!

Junkyard
    Free Member

what TJ said when people in the occupational area like it and the general public does not then you really are not serving your market but your peers.
    Less politely it is cr@p

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fred – I said why above.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What is missing? The Olympic rings…

(which, of course means the final logo will be different from the ‘applicant’ one. Just like the London one was.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Well I took that as a given that the rings would be added to any logo, in some way, but yes, point taken. I think it’s better to present the unique brand of the applicant independent of the Lympic brand, tbh.

But you still haven’t presented the case for the London Lympic brand, have you?

the brand is great – vibrant, fresh, unique and definitely not a typical Olympic identity.

Not good enough. Why is it ‘vibrant, fresh and unique’?

The jury are getting restless. IanMunro requires clarification of the meaning of the term ‘brand’.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ian – the logo is the 2012 bit, which is a component part of the brand which is everything else used to Market the games – posters, websites, TV graphics, leaflets, programmes, brochures etc.

The official site is a good place to see a small part of the brand in application.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Fred – I said why above…

And why is what I said ‘not enough’? What is ‘enough’?

trailmonkey

i don’t think it’s a bad design because of its abstract nature which let’s be fair, is the usual daily wail type reaction to it. it’s a bad design because it says nothing about the city of london and even the 5 rings are almost secondary compared to the primary coloured rings in previous logos so it doesn’t say much about the games either.

it’s kak.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you still haven’t presented the case for the London Lympic brand, have you?

the brand is great – vibrant, fresh, unique and definitely not a typical Olympic identity.
    Not good enough. Why is it ‘vibrant, fresh and unique’?

You are good at answering questions with questions M_F

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

And why is what I said ‘not enough’? What is ‘enough’?

Most people think it’s crap. Mainly because it is. My mum thinks it’s ‘bloody awful’. And is annoyed because she has to see it everywhere. Many foreigners I’ve spoken to about it think it’s crap (speshly the Spains). Very very few people defend it. The overall consensus is that it’s shite. Basically, the branding is a failure. This will definitely have an impact on merchandising and extra revenues. And the image of London (the whole reason why ‘we’ wanted the **** games in the first place was to improve London’s image). I wish it were Paris that had to deal with the embarrassment.

So, unless you can present a compelling case why the London Lympic Brand isn’t shite, then I’m afraid I will have no option but to declare it officially shite. Which it is anyway, but seeing as you’re entitled to your day in court, then please, go ahead.

Bear in mind that Traitor’s Gate could still be utilised….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am not trying to tell anyone to like it though, I am merely stating why I like it.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You are good at answering questions with questions M_F

Well no, I was merely reminding Fred I had already answered his question.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘I'm sure it's been said before’ is closed to new replies.