Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Ignorant MTB’ers -Derwent/Ladybower, yesterday.
  • RustySpanner

Went walking yesterday around Derwent Water.
    Great day out, good company and fine weather. Nice ice-creams at Fairholmes too.

Never seen so many MTB’ers about, all types and abilities too – sterling stuff. Most who passed us left plenty of room, and were polite and friendly – apart from one group:

If you were the total knobster leading the crew who buzzed the large group walking up the bridleway just past the Ladybower Hotel, opposite the Cutthroat Bridge layby, about 10.30 – 10.45 I’d like to point something out:

Speeding very closely past walkers (some obviously quite elderly), whilst approaching from behind, shouting ‘Heads up’, on one of the Peaks most heavily used Bridleways, on a sunny Sunday, with no consideration for other trail users and refusal to compromise your speed or line makes you a total arse.

Trying to convince the people I walk regularly with that MTB’ers and walkers can happily coexist on bridleways has been a long and difficult job – one that I’m now going to have to start all over again.

Sadly, I couldn’t pick you out from the large group of riders at the crossroads at the top as we turned right toward the Wheelstones. I really did want a word with you.

Thanks to you, some of my fellow walkers are now convinced that we’re all a bunch of ignorant idiots – you must be very proud of yourself.

trailmonkey

Thanks to you, some of my fellow walkers are now convinced that we’re all a bunch of ignorant idiots

If said walkers are going to judge the behaviour of all MTBers on the actions of one group, then I’d suggest that ignorance is not exclusive to your rogue bikers.

matt_outandabout

Rusty – there are cocks in all areas of life. It is frustrating, and you are right to point it out – hopefully someone may read and change/think.

The Peak does seem to attract its fair share of muppets on bikes – a couple of guys were ragging around Higgar Tor, Owler Tor and Toads Mouth as well on DH bikes yesterday, and had deaf ears to very pleasant suggestions that they were not allowed there and not helping MTB relations and access in the Peak…

lowey

Never seen so many MTB’ers about,

Precisely the reason I dont ride in the Peak anymore.

Rich
    Free Member

Most who passed us left plenty of room, and were polite and friendly – apart from one group:

Thanks to you, some of my fellow walkers are now convinced that we’re all a bunch of ignorant idiots

???

RustySpanner

trailmonkey – true, but that’s human nature, basic design flaw.
    People tend to focus on the bad and ignore the good. One bad apple etc.

Sadly, due to this one group of idiots, all the friendly bikers that passed us yesterday were forgotten – the older members just seem to remember our friend and his lovely attitude.

TBH, as someone who cycles and walks I’m used to seeing both sides of the story, but this really was the worst example of trail etiquette I’ve seen in years.

willyboy
    Free Member

i can’t belive i’m going to say this – but i don’t know why more of us don’t get bells.
    I have a small ‘ping’ type one and my mrs has a ‘barbie’ one and its amazing how well they work at warning walkers/ other trail users. Every time I use it walkers move out of the way asap and almost all of them say hello/ thankyou.
    I really don’t care what they look like because their benefits far out weigh this. So thats my tuppence.

matt_outandabout

Precisely the reason I dont ride in the Peak anymore.

Its a shame, but in the last couple of years I have become frustrated with numbers of people, mtb’ers and walkers and all others in the Peak. Yes you can get away, but it has taken the edge off visiting, especially on a nice sunny weekend..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

willyboy – I am with you on the bells – walkers expect a bell – hear a ting – expect a bike.

Rich
    Free Member

I don’t like it when walkers take up the whole bridleway, and give you huffy remarks as you politely ask to be let through, but it doesn’t mean I dislike everyone who decides to go for a walk in the countryside.

Idiots walk, ride bikes, drive cars, whatever, that is a given, but to tar a whole group of innocent people because of the actions of a few is a bigger issue IMO.

😕

Rich
    Free Member

Bells for the win. 8)

brant
    Free Member

walkers expect a bell – hear a ting – expect a bike.

I was trying to extricate my son from a stone wall (don’t ask) the other day, and heard a “ting, ting” and had NO IDEA what it was. Then saw a bike.

My brain was thinking “a bell? why can I hear a little bell?”

A bit of me (blush) thought it was tiny pixies.

matt_outandabout

Bells for the win.

*high fives all fellow bell owners*

BigDummy
    Free Member

If you heard a tiny pixie ringing a bell at you you’d get out the way though, no? They have sharp teeth and are vicious little beggars.

RustySpanner

Rich, you are right.

We shouldn’t judge everyone on the behaviour of the minority – however it’s the idiots, whether walkers who spread out and deliberately block paths so cyclists can’t pass, or cyclists who refuse to slow down that really cause attitudes to harden.

As for the bell thing, yes, this was mentioned by the oldies.
    Personally, I prefer a nice loud ‘Excuse me!’ accompanied by a big smile.
    I can never ‘place’ bells, no idea whether they are coming from the left or right, whereas voices seem to be easier.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I use a bell and walkers love me 🙂

Not only that, but they magically step aside and wave me through, more often than not.

Amazing how far a bit of empathy can get you … not that you see much of that on this forum. 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

walkers expect a bell – hear a ting – expect a bike

not on this planet! I’ve watched walkers when I had a bell, they look at each other, they peer into the sky, they look puzzled. “Why can I hear a bell in the countryside?”, they’re obviously thinking. The Air Zounds was good (thanks samuri), they’d think it was motorbike or a car and run for the bushes – however I decided it was not diplomatic…

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Actually sfb I’ve seen that too – thing is, when they do realise what it is, they’re nearly always positive and cheerful about it, instead of grumpy at feeling barged when they’re shouted at.

Alternative to bell = shouting = difficult not to sound aggressive.

Bell = cheerful, polite, happy.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I tend to use the bell from a distance away and 90% of the time the walkers happily get out of the way. Backed up with a “just letting you know we are here” just before you pass and a cheery ” lovely day – thanks” as you go past

AndyP
    Free Member

I use a bell and walkers love me [:-)]

I used to use a bell. And a lot of walkers commented upon how it was ‘rude to just ding a bell and expect us to move’. I find it’s much better if you use a polite ‘excuse me please’.

Jimmer
    Free Member

Was coming down Garburn the other day to a group of walkers coming up, they’d seen us a mile off and yet just didn’t move out of the way, we had to near stop half way down to pick our way through them.

I’m now trying to convince my fellow riders that natural trails are better than trail centres thanks to these walkers. Hmpf

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

a lot of walkers commented upon how it was ‘rude to just ding a bell and expect us to move’.

People like that, push ’em in a ditch.

freeride_gear
    Free Member

Sack the bell, this is what you want:
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_catalogId_10151_storeId_10001_partNumber_213009_langId_-1

That way when you rip up the crag rats you can rev your 450cc single behind them and get tarred as an Enduro rider.

Seriously though – i can appreciate the frustrations of the OP in terms of his difficulties with changing attitudes but why do they have attitudes that need changing in the first place? I live, work and ride in the Lakes and the general attitude of walkers is of either 1. walk in the middle of the bridleway and pretend the bike doesn’t exist in spite of the bell or polite excuse me or 2. decide for you what is too fast / dangerous or idiotic behaviour in spite of your suitably reduced pace and wide berth. The exceptions to this are generally the people who are frequent visitors / residents who have come to accept bikes as part of the landscape. The infrequent visitors who seem to think the bridleways are their sole preserve seem to be the ones with a bad attitude towards bikes in general regardless of the riders consideration. Unfortunately the infrequent visitors far outweigh locals/regular visitors (from a selfish point of view not an economic one).

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Alternative to bell = shouting = difficult not to sound aggressive.

My bells always got smashed in crashes after few weeks, they’re just not study enough 🙁 These days I go “Beep, beep!” in a cheery fashion which seems to work OK :o)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I’m now trying to convince my fellow riders that natural trails are better than trail centres thanks to these walkers. Hmpf

Get new friends! Anyone who thinks a trail centre is better than Garburn is a tart :o)

willyboy
    Free Member

simon – did you run round the school playground pretending to be a car as a small child?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I find shouting “Badger!” makes people look.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

simon – did you run round the school playground pretending to be a car as a small child?

who said I ever stopped ?

“excuse me” is ambiguous – you might have meant you’d chosen the fish knife by mistake, or were wearing a blazer before 3pm.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Sometimes it works better when you’re on a bike though.

willyboy
    Free Member

those kids always made me smile – especially when they got to their teenage years and hadn’t changed

matt_outandabout

Anyone who thinks a trail centre is better than Garburn is a tart :o)

I agree with SFB? miracles, miracles….

matt_outandabout

Ride naked, most people see you AND give you a wide berth.

SweetJumps
    Free Member

Maybe someone should patent some cool looking bells, Fox, Raceface, Hope etc. then maybe more people wouldn’t be embarrased putting something so pants on a realy nice looking expensive bike. You wouldn’t go to Oxfam to dress a super-model would you?

RustySpanner

Seriously though – i can appreciate the frustrations of the OP in terms of his difficulties with changing attitudes but why do they have attitudes that need changing in the first place?

freeride_gear – They are getting on a bit. Four of them are over 70. These four have also been roadies in the past and three still ride occasionally. Seeing bikes out on the trails in huge numbers is quite a recent phenomenon for them, despite the fact that they have been outdoors people (walkers climbers, skiers etc) all their lives.

Perhaps it’s possible that they were brought up in a time when politeness was more prevalent than it is today? Just a thought.

Esme
    Free Member

These are quite effective
    Air horn

druidh
    Free Member

I dinnae like bells either. I think there’s an element of “get out of the way” in them. Slow down, speak to folk on the way past. There shouldn’t be any need to shout.

RustySpanner

Esme – as an aid to identifying idiots, possibly. 🙂
    As an aid to trail harmony, I doubt it. 😐

Rich
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member

We shouldn’t judge everyone on the behaviour of the minority

Saying that, the government have been doing it for years. 😆

AndyP – Member

I use a bell and walkers love me [:-)]

I used to use a bell. And a lot of walkers commented upon how it was ‘rude to just ding a bell and expect us to move’. I find it’s much better if you use a polite ‘excuse me please’.

Just shows you cant please everyone.

Expect people to be idiots and you can’t be let down. 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

i can’t belive i’m going to say this – but i don’t know why more of us don’t get bells.

Definitely dont like bells, I’ve only had negative reaction from any form of warning walkers of my presence, from a pleasant cough to a cheery hello/excuse me, they usually take it as “I own the path and want you to move” and several times have had abuse just from saying hello. I find it far easier just to say hello as I pass, by which time its too late for them to get het up about it and it to turn into an argument. Just give plenty of room or wait to pass at a wide bit.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Ignorant MTB’ers -Derwent/Ladybower, yesterday.’ is closed to new replies.