Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • If you were going for a short camping holiday in Scotland…
  • butcher

…and you fancied a bit of road cycling while you were there. Where would you go?

Not talking a touring holiday. No wild camping. Just a nice campsite somewhere awesome. What’s the best bit of Scotland?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go too far over the border if you aren’t looking for big mountain stuff. Dumfries and Galloway, borders, and Ayrshire have fantastic road riding.

Google Ayrshire Alps road bike park.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Pitlochry area is good for road biking as is the Borders and Speyside. The more remote you get, the fewer roads there are, naturally. Less choice, but what there is is great.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Highest road passBealach na Bà. At least I thought it was until a resident Google.

butcher

Have been up around Dumfries and Galloway before, though not as far as Ayrshire. Keen to discover more Scotland than the typical Scottish Borders. As nice as it is, I have some familiarity with it, and it’s not a lot different from what I’m used to. Bike park looks interesting.

Been to Pitlochry too. Defo some good riding there. But thinking maybe west coast?

Not just for cycling either…other half would be going too! But she’s happy in the wilds. As long as there’s one or two things to entertain her.

TheFlyingOx

Fife, specifically the big campsite in Strathkinness near St Andrews. Road cycling is great in this neck of the woods. Scenery is a bit less “majestic highlands” but still very nice, and plenty of sea air. Loads to do in St Andrews and the East Neuk, and the pub in Strathkinness is especially good.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fife is a great shout, good road biking and cracking wee villages in the East neuk too. Win win.

tinribz
    Free Member

Just planning a trip to Isle of Arran for the same reason, cycling from Glasgow train station to ferry, then try the Island circular.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

arran too (we go there for a week every year, despite only being about 20 miles away as the crow flies!) Middleton campsite is lovely, nice food and pubs in the village too, and cracking mountain and road biking.

sniff
    Free Member

Road surface on Arran is poor though

martinxyz
    Free Member

martinxyz
    Free Member

Go the distance, head to Skye. Sligachan campsite. Take it from there. Bliss.

onehundredthidiot

Bealach na ba is the most height gain, starting from not much above sea level.

Borders. Live here, quiet roads(as long as you stay south and was of Peebles) some great pubs.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Green Lowther not got more of a height gain?

Anyway – Aberdeenshire, or somewhere around the Cairngorms would do the job.

CraigW
    Free Member

The far north west. ie Lochinver, Durness, Tongue. Plenty of great scenery and quiet roads.

martinxyz
    Free Member

North and west, yep. Do NOT head north east! She’ll divorce you!

bigjim

Assynt, staying at Achmelvich or Clachtoll

chakaping
    Free Member

How short is short?

Just spent a week up in the north west and it is a long way from the north of England, I wouldn’t go that far for less than four days.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The North west – Assynt, Torridon, Arisaig, Skye and the rest are wonderful places but if it’s a SHORT break you’re after you might spend as much time getting there as you do being there. TBH, I’d skip anywhere north of the central belt (Glasgow- Edinburgh) other than Fife or maybe Oban at a push purely on the time involved in getting there

butcher

Yeah, would just be a few days. Less than a week anyway. Would love to go North west, but easily 6+ hour drive…

Tempted by Ayrshire.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘If you were going for a short camping holiday in Scotland…’ is closed to new replies.