Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • XC Race – Thinner Tyre or shorter tread?
  • mbqwerty
    Free Member

Got my first try at an XC race this sunday up at Cannock Chase – entreated the open class rather than ‘fun’ – what can I say, I’m a sucker for punishment.

It’s going to be on my carbon 26er so I’m sure I’m going to stand out like a sore thumb, but trying to decide what to run on the rear. Although people slate them… I’ve always like nobby nics on the rear and I’ve got a choice of two.

Do I go thinner with a 2.1″, or go with the 2.35″ just removed from my full squish. Sideknobs are good but it’s pretty worn in the centre tread. What do you all reckon’s going to be the better option for a bit lower rolling resistance?

njee20
    Free Member

2.1″

Enjoy

dirtyrider
    Free Member

2.1″

everyone
    Free Member

I’ll be at Cannock this Sunday, should be good although I think it might be a mudfest in places!

mbqwerty
    Free Member

everyone – Member
    I’ll be at Cannock this Sunday, should be good although I think it might be a mudfest in places!

Ah nice! What cat have you entered for? Bit gutted with the weather, glorious sunshine for the next 10 days then sunday… RAIN!

everyone
    Free Member

I’m in the sport race so I’ll be on course same time as you. If you see a guy in purple kit on a Ritchey come say hello!

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Is the ‘sport’ the same as open? New to the cats sorry. Well I’ll be in black/blue kit on a red/black carbon 456 – not exactly a race machine I know but has two wheels and goes almost in a straight line!

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Just further to the first post… found in the garage a pair of 1.95″ panaracer trailraker that I think I’ll take just in case that course gets super chewed up during the day! Just mounted them up and they’re VERY thin!

Kryton57

They are also the draggiest tyre in history. Take it back off.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Good to know! Just going to go with plan a! Nobby nic front and back. 2.1 back, 2.35 front. Pace star on both unfortunately but beggars can be choosers!

schmiken

I’ll be racing Expert on a 2.1 Ron and Ralph I reckon. Should be fun.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

I think I just need to stop worrying about stupid things like tread on my first XC race… just try it, have fun, and try kick everyone’s arse lol.

How often do you see 26’ers at xc races these days? I’m guessing pretty much everyone’s rocking the 29er now?

everyone
    Free Member

The shaved leg fast guys (and girls) are predominantly on 29ers, there’s a few odd balls on 650b and there’s bound to be some 26ers as well.

At the end of the day just run what you brung!

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

If it gets as bad as the race there last month, you’ll probably be carrying on the bits where mud tyres would be an advantage anyway!

Ron and Ralph for me (I’m in Vets so I’ll have finished chewing up the course by the time you start!)

everyone
    Free Member

Yea I was racing in the SS cat last month, lots of carrying through the chewed up woods! I hope the course doesn’t go through there, it’ll probably still be a chewed up mudfest there.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

I had high hopes that the recent good weather would have dried it out, but apparently it’s gonna rain there tonight. Bum.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

I think MET office reports are the weather’s looking pretty damn fine until Sunday at about 3:00… JUST in time for race two!

At the end of the day just run what you brung!

That’s the plan now!

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Stupid question possibly… but the open class? What are we talking about here? More true racing than the ‘fun’ catagory, but not people being absolute shaven-leg nutters shaving half grams off their bikes?

Or have I just entered myself into a bloody hard race than I will undoubtedly finish in the bottom 10%!

njee20
    Free Member

Open usually has the full range – a few absolute chippers at the front who really should be in sport, down to people who’ve never raced before…

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Sounds like the kind of thing I’m after then. Don’t want to just do the fun category and have a pootle round my local trails… I can do that any weekend.

Want to actually feel like I’m in a race at least! (Even if that means coming last).

everyone
    Free Member

Blimey my legs certainly know about that one! Nice and dry for most of it but it was ruddy hard work the whole way!

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Yeah you’re not wrong! How did you do at the end?
    Managed to get a 15/23… I’m not bragging about it but not too upset either! Lots of work to do me thinks!

everyone
    Free Member

39/59 Happy I completed all the laps (didn’t get lapped by the leaders until about halfway through my last lap), but I’m a bit disappointed I didn’t get into the points.

Not sure whether the legs had a bad day or if I’m just not quick enough. At least it’s only the start of the season though!

Good effort on the 15th! There were definitely some guys in your cat who should have been in sport I reckon…

nickdavies

Out of interest what kind of speeds/distances are you doing in the open cats?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Hi Njee, this year I did the gorricks on my 29er.

I had a choice of 2.25 Racing Ralphs or 1.9 Bontrager team issue X1.

The X1 are great in the summer for linking up bits of trail + road at high pressure. However I would nt consider them for a race or proper offroad.

So I used the 2.25 Racing Ralphs.

Assuming I like spending money, for next years spring series (assuming its reasonable dry again) do you reckon it would be worth buying some 2.1 racing ralphs ? Or something similar ?

njee20
    Free Member

Assuming I like spending money, for next years spring series (assuming its reasonable dry again) do you reckon it would be worth buying some 2.1 racing ralphs ? Or something similar ?

No, stick with the 2.25″ Ralphs, or get some Thunder Burts or something that offers something different. The 2.25s are barely any heavier and if you buy into the currently held beliefs a fatter tyre rolls faster.

I have 2.25″ Rons as my ‘default’ tyres, with Burts for dry trails. Have got XR1s (the bike came with them), but never used them. Bit pointless IMO – heavier than a Ron, less tread than a Burt!

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Not sure whether the legs had a bad day or if I’m just not quick enough. At least it’s only the start of the season though!

I think I’ve a little bit of training time before the next one, but I think I’ll be sticking with my trusty (if somewhat heavy) 26er this time around! Was having a look through the photos on Flikr and saw this, thought you might be interested

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/kevinsheldrake/16940031939/in/set-72157651510381140/

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Hi Njee cheers for the advice. Sound like I can stick with what I have maybe have a look at the Burts too.

Have got XR1s (the bike came with them), but never used them. Bit pointless IMO – heavier than a Ron, less tread than a Burt!

I think I’ve got some really old version of the XR1 they dont do anymore. They are crazy light and so quick on the road (I also tried some XR0 but they just fall apart too easily :] )

mbqwerty
    Free Member

and another one! https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/kevinsheldrake/17125562901/in/set-72157651510381140/

Still can’t find any of me yet…

njee20
    Free Member

I think I’ve got some really old version of the XR1 they dont do anymore. They are crazy light and so quick on the road (I also tried some XR0 but they just fall apart too easily :] )

These are the ones I’ve got – 595g in a 2″, 200g heavier than an equivalent Burt! I can see merit for somewhere not technical but tough on tyres – like the South Downs Way, but I’ve not been tempted to use them otherwise!

everyone
    Free Member

Thanks for finding those pictures of me, what number were you and I’ll see if I can find you.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Found mine eventually towards the back – it’s like they were trying to tell me something! There were a few more of you two but by that point I thought I was running the risk of becoming an online stalker…

devash
    Free Member

Just have a laugh and don’t get too hung up on tyres. I did my first race last September and ran some old 2.1 Panaracer Fire XC Pros front and back. Hardly race tyres but worked ok. I didn’t come last so that’s all that matters.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘XC Race – Thinner Tyre or shorter tread?’ is closed to new replies.