Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • If you had a million quid…
  • ciderinsport
    Free Member

…to give away 😯

Would you:

give it to 1 or 2 people who were up **** street
    or
    give a little to a lot

?????

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’d give it to all the people whose lives are so desperate that they would be prepared to swap places with Jeremy Clarkson for the money

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Second option. That’s a lot of money, and you could help out a lot of people with that sort of cash.

Stoner
    Free Member

I’d put it in an income fund (whether a charity or a trust) so that it kept on working for whoever the beneficiaries were.

Sorry. Boring but sensible answer 😉

flockofffish
    Free Member

I would give it to my Mrs and she could buy be a new bike and take me on holiday and buy me lots of new toys.
    Flock

nick1962
    Free Member

50/50 shared between the hard up bankers and the gold plated pension plundering public sector workers

ciderinsport
    Free Member

nick1962 – Member
    50/50 shared between the hard up bankers and the gold plated pension plundering public sector workers

Now thats a proper STW answer! Love it 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I would give a little bit to lots of people, like that loads people would like me, rather than just one or two people thinking I was a really great guy. I wouldn’t waste it on anyone who already liked me though.

nick1962
    Free Member

I wouldn’t waste it on anyone who already liked me though.

Some people actually do? 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No not really. I just added that for effect.

nick1962
    Free Member

Phew !was worried about the human race there for a second 🙂
    Goodnight

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I like you Ernie. 😐

shaxi
    Free Member

i have no plan before i own!
    but will be very happy ,that can be imagined 😀

bigthunder
    Free Member

Kinda what SHOULD happen with the lottery – instead of 1 10million pound winner there should be 10 1million pound winners.

NZCol

I have a client that won a 7 figure sum, has banked enough for retirement and gave the rest away to charities etc. only a few people know this and quite frankly I am impressed but he is a happy guy with a great family and felt it would spoil them. Interesting. His wife was 100% in agreement.
    Edit and by 7 figures I mean almost 8 !!

donsimon
    Free Member

I’d put it in an income fund (whether a charity or a trust) so that it kept on working for whoever the beneficiaries were.

I’d have to agree with Stoner, he generally sounds like he knows what he’s talking about, the odd bit of crap, but in general… 😛

samuri
    Free Member

I’d see myself right first. it’s like when you get on a plane and the oxygen masks drop down. Sort your own out before dealing with your suffocating child.

Once I was set up in my nice house and my Triumph Dolomite outside, I’d buy lots of people a lottery ticket. Take your chances just like I did.

globalti
    Free Member

I wouldn’t give a penny to any feckless waster on the street because they would just go straight to the pub with it. I would give some of it to organisations like St Mungo’s and the Sally Army.

If I was as rich as the Hindujas or those eight Greek blokes who have pinched 90% of Greece’s money, I would endow clinics in African cities for street children and poor people to get food, shelter and treatment.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

ernie – I’ll like you for a tenner, for a pony you’ll even think I enjoyed it.

maccruiskeen

When the lottery first launched me and my then girlfriend bought tickets for the first draw. I asked her what she’d do with the money if she won

“The first thing I’d have to do is pay you off”

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’d spread the love and donate it all to the ramblers association.

warton
    Free Member

I would give it to my community, set something up for da kidz.

actually I live in a middle class community, so I’d give it to a cummunity project(s) in a less well off area of town

bigthunder
    Free Member

Its always interesting the splits of opinion on whats good to do with money – opens up a lot of viewpoints. For instance I would give to folk in the street coz it helps right at source but not a bean to africa due to them not helping themselves and endemic corruption. Guaranteed to cause a rift this one.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’d set up The Southern Yeti center for kids who can’t read good and who wanna to do other stuff? good too.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’d spread the love. Give a lot of money to someone who is not accustomed to having plenty spare and they will spend it all on crap and end up back where they started.
    £50k to 20 families.

johnners
    Free Member

A Triumph Dolomite?

Weirdo.

warton
    Free Member

but not a bean to africa due to them not helping themselves

Did you really just say that?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d spread the Luv too.

I’ve a couple of interests I support locally, be nice to give a bit more than just my time.

langy
    Free Member

spread the love; helping 20-30 with enough to get them out of debt/into a house/whatever it is they need in the immediate to lift the stress from their current situatio; beyond that, they need to help themselves!

Why the question? Got a million? I could do with a few quid…

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’d set up several supported living properties like the one i work in now, and run them as not for profit. that would mean i’d be able to practically help many, many more people than just giving out lump sums… and once a resident moves onto independence another can move in to be helped 🙂

rootes1

Kinda what SHOULD happen with the lottery – instead of 1 10million pound winner there should be 10 1million pound winners.

Isn’t that what happens to the rest of the revenue generated by the lotto?

http://www.biglotteryfund.org.uk/

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I would set up a business and employ the disadvantaged and/or homeless. Best chance of longest term help there I reckon.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Hmmm…

I’d certainly treat the small handful of people who’ve helped me out when I’ve been in dire straits before to something nice.

But I do agree that spending it on your kids is only going to spoil them in later life. Better to leave them a little to get starting with than to give them enough to get themselves into trouble with.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Warton – yeah bit of a generisation really but they do need to stamp out corruption,stop fighting and start to take birth control seriously before Africa can really be helped. Lets face it weve been giving to Africa for years and its still a mess- all the while some of the leaders are among the wealthiest people in the world.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Rootes the problem with the lottery fund is that its become instead of rather than as well as government spending. Id like to see it continue as is but with the jackpots better spread. 10 x 1million has gotta be better than 1 x 10million! As for the original question lots of 5grand payouts to childrens charities.

amplebrew

I’d pay my own, families and close mate’s mortgages / debts off, then give the rest away in equal amounts to Cancer Research, NSPCC and NCDL.

derekrides
    Free Member

I’d buy STW, sack the moderators, offers free lift passes to all over a weekend somewhere in the alps to celebrate, invite everyone from here, then a mass free uplift at a UK trail centre, hire in skills coaches, spray everyone who turned up in lycra with silage, (but have free baggies and a shower on hand), free beer at a happy hour at the end of the day, hire Jeremy Clarkson to give us a chat about dress sense after we’ve all had a drink or two..

DezB
    Free Member

My imagination isn’t good enough to give an answer to this.

iDave
    Free Member

they do need to stamp out corruption,stop fighting and start to take birth control seriously

‘They’? Is this something all Africans do? Moroccans and Liberians alike? Where did you experience this happening?

It’s awful that they have corruption and fighting too many births and we only have the fighting and corruption. If only we could breed more…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

‘They’? Is this something all Africans do?

No not all Africans, just those which are poor, hungry, and in need of basic healthcare provisions – they don’t deserve any help, because of all the corruption and fighting that goes on. They’re obviously “not helping themselves”.

Once they have proved that they can help themselves by no longer being poor, hungry, and in need of basic healthcare provisions, then, we should help them.

Makes sense surely ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘If you had a million quid…’ is closed to new replies.