Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • If you dont understand Pink Floyd….
  • thekingisdead
    Free Member

…You dont understand music.

Discuss……

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Understand? They're a band, end of story. You either like them or not. That's all there is to understand…….

Anything else is just pretentious waffle

thomthumb
    Free Member

…you are probably not over 50!

IanMunro
    Free Member

If you like any post 70's Floyd, you don't understand music 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I would say that an understanding of Bach is more important musically.

grynch
    Free Member

op –

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Pink Floyd IMHO are rubbish. I've never got them – ever. And I've tried – all my mates were/are right into them but I thought they were rotten.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I don't understand music but I like the noise it makes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what the Cpt said. I would have a track of each on Desert Island discs i preferplaying Bach to Floyd on guitar.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Pink Floyd are (were) good if you have the required length of attention span…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am with PeterPoddy – nothing clever or intelligent required to understand any music. Personally I love Pink Floyd. I also like Robbie Williams and have seen Steps live. I also like listening to some classical music (although not an expert), blues, punk, metal and some hip-hop.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

grynch

I see your sad puppy and behalf of all those who claim to "understand" music rather than enjoy it, I raise you a dead kitten

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

and have seen Steps live

oh, and you were doing so well up to there 😆

backhander
    Free Member

I saw steps live completely against my will in a desert in Egypt.
    I remember the crowd chanting "STARFISH STARFISH STARFISH" at H.
    It was mostly 3 commando brigade and it was made a non-exemption parade after everyone said they didn't want to go, they even bribed us with beer!
    Happy days!

clubber
    Free Member

I could just as easily say that anyone who doesn't understand the Cheeky Girls doesn't understand music.

Doesn't make either statement right.

PP's spot on. Nothing takes the enjoyment out of music more than people who take it seriously. My pet hate in my clubbing days was people who hated anything remotely mainstream for the simple reason that it was popular and didn't fit in with their idea of self proclaimed 'people who know/understand good music' and would sit out anything not cool enough for them like the killjoys that they really were.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

oh, and you were doing so well up to there

In my defence I was given the ticket but it was okay – good stage sets and quite entertaining. The high pitched constant screaming like some kind of mass harpie wail was most disconcerting though.

And the crowd were noisy too… 😉

jahwomble
    Free Member

Imho, If you do understand or care about Pink Floyd, you're probably a fan of a technically competent,pretentious and ultimately dull dad rock band.

Frankly they bore me to death, and my tastes are musically quite varied and I play a number of instruments really quite well.:)

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

After Syd they grew increasingly sterile sounding with pompous and self-indulgent lyrical pretentions. If the OP's correct I'm proud to be ignorant.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

seen them loads of times all over Europe and think they are well over rated to be honest!

Kuco

I prefer later Pink Floyd and don't particularly like Pink floyd with Syd Barrett.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Dad Rock

cinnamon_girl

Saw them in 1972, have since seen Dave Gilmour and Roger Waters. I didn't "get them" then and I don't "get them" now.

I would however say that "prog rock" was a really exciting time for music although, to be fair, a lot of it was pretentious tosh. Triple concept album from Yes anyone? Rick Wakeman presenting "Journey to the Centre of the Earth"?

Mind you, arguably King Crimson were the most innovative. In fact I still listen to them, as well as Yes plus other assorted bands.

In some ways, you had "to be there" 🙄

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

arguably King Crimson were the most innovative. In fact I still listen to them, as well as Yes plus other assorted bands.

King Crimson were definitely innovative. Although I missed them in the height/depths of their 70s splendour I've long loved Gong, Hawkwind, various German 70s bands and so on. But never Floyd. Similarly, and more recently, Porcupine Tree. Technically magnificent but they just leave me cold.

cinnamon_girl

The missing ingredient is soul/passion – call it what you will. These days I need to be moved by music. God I'm getting old 🙄

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

These days I need to be moved by music. God I'm getting old

Hell, no. Old is when you're admiring fretwork over the sound of your soul singing along.

Nico
    Free Member

Hawkwind? Roadies that tried to play.

grumm
    Free Member

I make a living from music, and I don't really get what's so amazing about Pink Floyd. 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Hell, no. Old is when you're admiring fretwork over the sound of your soul singing along

8)

nickc

I like some of their music, some of it is pretentious nonsense. There's nothing to "Understand" though.

Terrydactyl

try the strum pattern for "mother", its hard. also "i wish you were " is my fav. Quite morbid and depressing but i always make sure i have a positive head on when i listen.
    impossible to generalise, each song is different. imho

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I make a living from music, and I don't really get what's so amazing about Pink Floyd

So what? Does that make you any more qualified to decide on musical merit than someone who works in Sainsburys? If you know what you like does it matter if you can play music or in some other way derive income from it.

DezB
    Free Member

I was in a band that covered See Emily Play. Quite a good song that.
    Dark Side of the Moon, though. Gotta be one of the most overratted albums ever. Just dull.

CountZero

Floyd really only got pretentious when Roger Waters' ego took over the band. Up to that point there was a lot of light and shade, with a fair amount of humour, albeit fairly dark humour. 'Arnold Lane', anyone? A song about a bloke who gets off on nicking women's knickers off of washing lines. If you don't understand the period of time that Floyd originate from, fine, but don't ever call music rubbish just because you, personally don't 'get' it.

cinnamon_girl

Xipe – agree about Roger Waters and his ego. But I'm not calling it rubbish.

(whispers 'I don't get X Factor or any of that stuff but do call it rubbish') 🙄

grumm
    Free Member

So what? Does that make you any more qualified to decide on musical merit than someone who works in Sainsburys?

Well the suggestion in the OP was if you don't understand Pink Floyd you don't understand music. I would suggest that in order to make a living out of music you probably need some understanding of it (I also have a degree in music + multimedia arts), but I still don't understand what's so great about Pink Floyd.

There was also a smiley as I was being slightly facetious.

If you don't understand the period of time that Floyd originate from, fine

I've also got a degree in history 😉

ScoobysM8
    Free Member

Doesn't matter how many degrees in pop music you have, Grumm. It's all about how many hairs stand up on the back of your neck when you listen to it.

grumm
    Free Member

Doesn't matter how many degrees in pop music you have, Grumm. It's all about how many hairs stand up on the back of your neck when you listen to it.

I agree and in my case it's precisely none when listening to Pink Floyd. I'm just pointing out the ridiculousness of the claim in the OP. Liking slightly dull prog rock doesn't mean you understand anything in particular.

PP summed it up pretty well really.

ScoobysM8
    Free Member

PP summed it up pretty well really.

Totally agree.

FWIW I still ask myself 'what would Syd do' when I have a difficult decision to make at work. I guess I may be in the minority there. Pink Floyd were never the same after he left.

grantway
    Free Member

LOL you might as well say the same crap about The Who LOL and the
    Beatles LOLOLOL

samuri
    Free Member

isn't all of Pink Floyd's music about mental health problems? I'd argue you actually need a mental health problem to 'get' their music.

Saying that, I like some of their songs now and we played lots of then during my younger drug and sex enhanced days when they all seemed to make a lot of sense but they go on a bit too long for me now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘If you dont understand Pink Floyd….’ is closed to new replies.