Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Idiots guide to cables?
  • jamesfuller
    Free Member

Ok, so I don’t shy away from most jobs, but cables and I don’t get on.

My experience is limited to trying to bodge up and make do with old gear and brake cables just enough to get something working(ish)
    I always end up making a bit of a hash of it, usually with 1 or 2 spirals of inner cable unwinding itself and needing a haircut.

I am sort of hoping using shiny new cables would make things easier!?
    Up to now if im spending money on new cables I would rather pay the lbs a bit more to fit them for me rather than waste my new cables.

But, this time, I have to replace just the short cable to my front canti brake, Ive got a cable on its way, and Im going to go for it.
    I remember that gear and brake cable is different thickness.
    I sort of know the theory, ive tried reading the books.

ANY practical tips that would make things go easier would be very much appreciated.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Buy some park cable cutters.

jekkyl

don’t go to LBS for cabling, the bits are dirt cheap and easy to do. Even wilkinsons sell cables now, gear cables all have a standard little knob at the end that fits through the shifter and into the outers into the stays and down to the front/rear mech.
    & yes quality outer cutters make a lot of difference.

Northwind

jekkyl – Member

& yes quality outer cutters make a lot of difference.

Yup so not Park, they’re pretty substandard. These are a lot better:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-EXPERT-STEEL-WIRE-ROPE-SPRING-CUTTERS-CUTTING-PLIERS-TOOL-FENCE-SNIPS-/361129992475?hash=item541506611b:g:WLMAAOSw7ThUdZQu

(yes Draper but it’s a rebrand, you can get the same cutters under different, more expensive brands including Pedros. Draper just happens to be the cheapest version. And hey, they’re blue)

My Park ones have been retired to spoke cutting- they blunted very quickly but they’re still fine for unsubtle jobs.

jairaj

Its all about the cutters. A good heavy duty set will produce a nice clean cut and prevent any fraying. My bike specific cutters are different shape to heavy duty cutters from the DIY shop and give a even better cut.

jamesfuller
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks for the replies, I’ve got knipex cutters so should be good on that front.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cable ends are generally soldered so they fray. Fit the cable; make sure it works, THEN trim them and fit a cable end crimp.

butcher

Yep, you will thank yourself for buying proper cutters. Like a hot knife through butter.

The rest is easy if the cable’s cut cleanly. Try not to over tighten stuff. It can be easy to strip the threads on dérailleurs in particular, in my experience.

pdw
    Free Member

Fit the cable; make sure it works, THEN trim them and fit a cable end crimp.

This.

I use a dremel with cutting disc on the outers.

tallmart10

What David and pdw said. I put a dot of superglue on the ends after cutting, then put a cable end crimp on once it has set. That way you can remove the calbes and refit a couple of times if necessary.

somafunk

As you are fitting a cable to a cantilever brake (not v-brake) pay attention to getting the correct angle of the straddle/transfer cable as this will determine how effective the brakes are when you pull on the lever (pull ratio/optimum transfer of leverage).

See video below, it may help

[video]https://youtu.be/j8qMBsWLwN4[/video]

timba
    Free Member

I keep a pair of cable cutters for inners only and use an old set on spokes and outers, finishing with a file if necessary. The Dremel^^ is also a good idea

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if you are not replacing any outers (planning to) make sure they are up to the job, not fraying or pulling apart.

jekkyl – Member
    don’t go to LBS for cabling, the bits are dirt cheap and easy to do.

All well and good but if you don’t get how to set up brakes etc. properly then paying somebody who does know makes sense.

If your not sure take a pic before so you can see how it’s meant to look.

JoeG
    Free Member

tallmart10 – Member

What David and pdw said. I put a dot of superglue on the ends after cutting, then put a cable end crimp on once it has set. That way you can remove the calbes and refit a couple of times if necessary.

+1

And buy yourself a bottle of cable ends. They’re cheap in bulk http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BSJWEC/jobsworth-gear-or-brake-cable-end-caps

I often use a bit of superglue with the cable end, too.

olly2097
    Free Member

Dremel with cutting discs for me.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

decent outer cable and the right end caps are pretty important – you don’t have to go super expensive, just not the very cheapest stuff.

a hacksaw is as good as anything on brake outers.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Idiots guide to cables?’ is closed to new replies.