• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Aus.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Idiot's guide needed pls – converting geared hardtail to singlespeed
  • Aus
    Free Member

Hi – need some advice / help pls.

Have a geared hardtail, standard 27 gearing etc. Fancy trying singlespeed but unsure of how to convert it, is it poss, and if so, what do I need to get and at what cost?

Specifically
    – can I take the granny and 42T chainrings off my triple chainset and just run the 32T ring?
    – is there a standard gear ratio to start with?
    – can I convert my rear wheel (Mavic 317 with Hope hub)
    – chain alignment???
    – chain tension???

Help would be v much appreciated – thanks!

Cheers

soobalias
    Free Member

sheldon brown.

or

yes probably
    no not really
    yes
    straight
    tensioner.

AndyP
    Free Member

– can I take the granny and 42T chainrings off my triple chainset and just run the 32T ring?
    – can I convert my rear wheel (Mavic 317 with Hope hub)
    – chain alignment???
    – chain tension???

-yes
    -32:16 a good start
    -yes just need a cog and some spacers instead of a cassette
    -doddle, just play around with spacers
    -might get lucky, otherwise try half link or a fugly tensioner like the Surly

bungalistic
    Free Member

– Yes running the 32T will be fine
    – Not as such but 2:1 is standard, so try running a 16T on back
    – Just buy a single speed kit like the dmr simple tension seeker kit: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10009
    – Just play with the spacers from above kit
    – Use the tensioner kit from above also

It is unlikely you'll get correct chain tension without using the tension seeker if you have vertical dropouts, it is simple to set up and use an converts a standard QR rear hub/wheel to single speed.

theotherjonv

answers as per below

yes, the problem being that your chainring bolts may be too long. In which case either get shorter ones or get a bashring to use up the slack. You might also consider a specific ss chainring in time (big teeth / no shifting ramps) but tbh, a standard front chainring as long as it isn't bady worn / missing a load of teeth will be fine
    32:16 is the normal answer (assuming a 32T front), and if you get a standard conversion kit it will probably have a 16T in there by default. If you live somewhere very hilly or flat, you may go to 32:18 or 32:14 in time but 32:16 is the usual start point. In short terms, run what you brung, and refine from there
    – can I convert my rear wheel (Mavic 317 with Hope hub)yes, although you may hear muttering about single cogs cutting into the freehub body if it is an alu one. Some cogs come on a wider base for this reason
    – chain alignment???spacer kit – the better ones have a number of different sized ones for fine tuning but I ran a simple On-one one for ages with no issue
    – chain tension???as above – you might be lucky to find a so called 'magic ratio' but tbh, you'll probably need a tensioner

Check out Charliethebikemonger – among others – for complete conversion kits including all the above.

JxL
    Free Member

32:16 is a good ratio, i ride in Rivington mostly on my SS and most of the parts are doable with strong legs, however I do sometimes wish I had 32:17 🙂

sheldona
    Free Member

You've got to become an attention whore before you can even consider riding a SS bicycle.

🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

The first thing you need is a beard.

mefty
    Free Member

I did the whole conversion for about £25, one one doofer as a tensioner, on one conversion kit (two spacers and a 16t cog) and a five for some half length chainring bolts.

CountZero

If you get one of the wide-based cogs like an on-one, you can slide the cog onto the hub, slide it from side to side eyeballing the chainline until it's straight, mark either side with a pencil then carefully measure. Get some plastic waste pipe with the correct internal diameter, then just carefully cut a pair of spacers to the width measured. I think either Raleigh or Madison do sets of spacers of various widths to fine-tune chainline. I got hold of some Fibonacchi rings from Endless Bike Co, but their 'site doesn't seem to have been updated for ages, which is a shame, 'cos they did a range of neat bits for singlespeeds. I use a DMR Saturn ring on the front, placed on the outside of the crank spider, just because it looks neater. You need short bolts to do that, but really try the cobbled together set-up with a Gusset kit and a tensioner just to see how you get on with it. I did that for four years, until I got a dedicated SS frame and set it up properly.

andrewh
    Free Member

I've done it.

34 ring in middle ring position, did need shorter chainring bolts purchased.
    I run 34/13 but mostly road/comuting duties.
    Yes, a doddle if you have kept all the plastic spacers from cassettes you have worn out over the years.
    Easy, just move the spacers around.
    I used an old rear mech as a tensioner, move the limit screws around until it's in the right place. Also means it doesn't look like a singlespeed so no danger of me looking fashionable.

Aus
    Free Member

many thanks all. Have picked up a tensioner on the classifieds, will order an On-One kit and my Global softail will be 'transformed'!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Idiot's guide needed pls – converting geared hardtail to singlespeed’ is closed to new replies.