Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • iDiet tip
  • phil.w
    Free Member

That’s where my ‘belief’ came from, you can’t blame me for that.

Wasn’t having a go. Sorry if it came across that way.

So I still see an awful lot of cows standing in fields eating grass. Surely they are dairy cows?

For sure. Loads round here also, though all of the organic farms in the local area keep their dairy cows in sheds 24/7.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I wonder what affect a lower insulinogenic diet has on reserving metabolic syndrome. In my (weak) understanding eating too many simple carbs (sugars including starches etc) increases the amount of insulin released by the pancreas. If your diet contains too many simple carbs for too long the cells of your body build up insulin resistance – this is metabolic syndrome. To counter this the pancreas has to produce more insulin, but that only makes the problem worse and makes you feel hungrier. If the pancreas works too hard it becomes exhausted and you get diabetes.

In addition to problems with insulin, consuming too much sugar increases the amount of triglycerides (bad fats) in your blood stream. Too much fat in your blood = you get fat.

So, for overweight people doing the iDave and reducing simple carb intake helps your pancreas, potentially reduces cell resistance to insulin, and reduces the bad fat in your blood = big win and weight loss.

…maybe.

This is an interesting read: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

molgrips
    Free Member

Jon, this kind of diet is prescribed for metabolic syndrome I think. It significantly reduces insulin resistance afaik.

Apparently, insulin floating around your blood all the time is responsible for a lot of ageing processes too. Although I read that online so who knows.

Insulin does a lot of things though, some good and some bad, and some depending on circumstances. It’s anabolic.. which might be why carbs help recovery…?

Oh Duchy Originals from Waitrose seems to be a good source of grass fed stuff.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptJon
    Free Member

Careful, middle class food has a massive impact on insulin levels.

Jamie
    Free Member

Careful, middle class food has a massive impact on insulin levels.

I think you’re getting insulin and smugness mixed up.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I`ve just started on iDave/4HB diet, after building up to it for a while…

I`m 4 days in so far and feeling pretty good, inspite of this being the first time in years with no sugar or milk in Hot drinks for me !!

12st6,3/4lbs starting weight and 4 days in I`m down 4.5lbs
    I know that a lot of that will be water loss but It all feels very sustainable, unlike atkins and some other stuff I`ve done (Ultimately unsucessfully) over the years.

10.5st is target “Fighting weight”

Gowrie
    Free Member

CaptJon – you are essentially right. One of the real advantages of high protein, highish fat, low carb type of diets such as iDave’s is that they lead to very stable and low levels of insulin in the blood. This helps reduce appetite and hunger – which is a major cause of people falling off diets even when they really want to loose weight.

Whilst the comments about milk having a greater effect on insulin spiking than the sugar contained might suggest might be true, what causes insulin spikes varies greatly from person to person. I know of a lady who cannot drink coffee or tea (even black), because the caffeine causes her insulin to spike so severely that it can lead to hypoglycaemia and collapse. But she can drink any amount of milk.
    Flavourings can do it, sweeteners can do it, Mars bars can do it (but that’s maybe not too surprising…. )

Colin

BoardinBob

12st6,3/4lbs starting weight and 4 days in I`m down 4.5lbs
    I know that a lot of that will be water loss but It all feels very sustainable, unlike atkins and some other stuff I`ve done (Ultimately unsucessfully) over the years.

10.5st is target “Fighting weight”

12st 6 is my target weight!

iDave
    Free Member

high protein, highish fat, low carb type of diets such as iDave’s

FFS for the millionth time it’s NOT supposed to be A **** LOW CARB DIET!!!

davidrussell
    Free Member

yo, where can i find the idave diet – STW forum search yields lots of people talking about idaves diet but i can’t find it.

I took am on a health kick. 31, 6’1″ and 15st3 so i’ve pledged to get down to 13st by St Paddy’s day or i’ll give 100 quid to charity.

I started on Monday and have basically just been controlling calories, lots of raw veg, almonds for snacking on and healthy meals. The biggest change for me is in portion control – i used to eat enough meat in one sitting that should have done two meals.

Its getting easier now but the first couple of days are hellish as your body adjusts to small, regular meals and i’ve cut out all choc, crisps tea / coffee and most importantly booze from daily life. I plan to have a treat once a week (maybe a couple of low carb beers etc) but looking forward to the 17th for a steak and a pint of guinness 🙂

one thing that did disappoint though, i weighed myself on my brother in laws scales on NYE and read 15st 3lb and change. I bought my own scales on Weds there and tried them and apparently had lost a pound. Tried them again this morning and have gained a pound back 🙁

EDIT – i realise the use of two sets of scales will largely account for this, but i was hoping for a big drop to get me going 🙂

I was hoping for 3-4lbs like cr500dom up there ^

PS is there a reliable way of working out your target weight? Dont wanna fail at this and i will work at it, but no point trying to hit a weight i’ll realistically never get to….

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m eating a serrano ham, lentil and pimenton hearty stew… I’m radiating smugness.

CaptJon
    Free Member
    martymac

bump.
    just so i can find it lateras i am off to work now.

Gowrie
    Free Member

iDave – sorry I realised my error about as soon as I’d posted. 😕
    For me it becomes a moderate carb diet because a) many carb dense foods are excluded and b) my hunger (and hence snacking) is greatly reduced by being on the diet. Although I accept I could have any amount of carbs on the diet if I wanted through the beans.

Colin

Jamie
    Free Member

So where can I get more information on this low carb diet? Is it like Atkins?

*buys meat*

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Have we established if tzatziki is in yet?

Gowrie
    Free Member

Jamie – see Captjon’s link above (reposted here for your convience)

iDave diet

ransos
    Free Member

For sure. Loads round here also, though all of the organic farms in the local area keep their dairy cows in sheds 24/7.

There is a requirement for the cows to be outside the majority of the time.

http://www.soilassociation.org/whatisorganic/organicanimals/dairycattle

molgrips
    Free Member

Whilst the comments about milk having a greater effect on insulin spiking than the sugar contained might suggest might be true, what causes insulin spikes varies greatly from person to person

Interesting, and that ties in with something else I read that said GI was measured to be very different in different people and even at different times of day.

iDave
    Free Member

peoples lifestyle will affect how sensitive they have become to insulin, so yeah there will be individual variations in responses to foods. the trick is finding a regime that will work for most people, most of the time.

molgrips
    Free Member

A personalised approach is what I’m going for. Really failed a lot lately though, since coming back from Germany.

donsimon
    Free Member

iDave – Member

high protein, highish fat, low carb type of diets such as iDave’s

It’s not? 😯
    So, anyone have details of a high protein, highish fat, low carb diet, it sounds just the thing?

iDave
    Free Member

Mr Atkins can help

donsimon
    Free Member

cheers.
    Is it any good?

Jamie
    Free Member

Hopefully.

I have gone from 147 to 162lbs over the festive period.

I eschewed sleep for eating Cadbury’s Heroes.

Gowrie
    Free Member

So, anyone have details of a high protein, highish fat, low carb diet, it sounds just the thing?

Just in case you’re not being sarcastic, Don S, iDave’s diet, whilst NOT low carb, has the same effect on insulin as I described above.

Colin

donsimon
    Free Member

Just in case you’re not being sarcastic, Don S, iDave’s diet, whilst NOT low carb, has the same effect on insulin as I described above.

Don’t I either have to give huge amounts of money to deadlydarcy or just my soul to iDave, then once converted to the church of iDave defend the diet lifestyle with my life?
    don simon 181cms and 66,67kg
    (not sarcastic Colin, a bit of fun) 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

181cms and 66,67kg

What’s that in old money?

donsimon
    Free Member

Lanky steak of piss!
    6’ish and 10,5 stone.

Jamie
    Free Member

Damn. I bet you couldn’t go out the last couple of days?

Well, I guess you could have wore some of these….

…assuming your beanpole legs could lift ’em 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

It is effectively lower carb than typical western diets though because it’s quite hard to eat a ton of beans, but it’s quite easy to eat a lot of bread or potatoes.

donsimon
    Free Member

Damn. I bet you couldn’t go out last few days?

No way, José!
    I make up for it on those wet days as I seldom get wet in the rain.
    Isn’t there a valid point, Molly, in that we’re overeating carbs in the traditional western diet, putting the low carb question into perspective?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I have gone from 147 to 162lbs over the festive period.

Bufftingz

miketually
    Free Member

6’ish and 10,5 stone.

I’m a smidge under 6′ and a smidge over 11 stone. In December I ate 32 mince pies and 24 Tunnocks Caramel Wafers, in addition to me normal diet. With Christmas dinners and drinks I gained almost half a stone, which I’ve now lost.

🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Bufftingz

Just more of me to love.

scruff
    Free Member
    cr500dom
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member

12st 6 is my target weight!

Yeah But I`m only a short@rse 😉

4.75lbs down after the first week, but thats only part of the story, Belly and moobs are half the size they were !!

Thats a result in my eyes 😀

Especially as the only real excercise I got last week was a small session on the turbo….

Strangely though, I really felt rough after my cheat day and couldnt wait to get back on the diet !!
    It really has changed how I feel, and it does feel really sustainable

BoardinBob

The pain starts here. As well as being on iDave, my week looks like this for the next 6 (at least) as I start fight camp tonight.

Monday – Boxing

Wednesday – Boxing bodyweight

Friday – Strength & conditioning

Saturday – Boxing

Sunday – Bike

So 6 weeks of hard training plus iDave and it’ll be interesting to see the results

tails
    Free Member

Strangely though, I really felt rough after my cheat day and couldnt wait to get back on the diet !!
    It really has changed how I feel, and it does feel really sustainable

I used to feel like that, i just can’t give up the booze at weekends, it’s like a mild addiction. I say I’m going to stay in but come 7pm saturday evening I get itchy feet and just go out, then regret it the following day!

Also have a look a Korean food it is very healthy and tasty just cut the rice.

molgrips
    Free Member

Boxing.. hmm.. I must admit I fancy some kind of martial arts from a training point of view. Problem is I my lifestyle’s not stable enough for that kind of thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘iDiet tip’ is closed to new replies.