Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • ideas for a bivvi kit please….
  • ton

gonna do some bivving this year.
    need to build a nice light kit up.
    no set to a budget , so lighter the better.

Marko

I'll start you off:

1.Rab Survival zone bivvy bag.
    2.PHD Minim Doss bag.
    3.Snow Peak Titanium pan.

Hth
    Marko

Nick

Alpkit hunka, PD400, wee airic, sorted

willy
    Free Member

terra nova

tazzymtb

mountain equipment did/do a lovely range of down sleeping bags with integral thermarest so very light/small pack size and no worries about the down compressing and loosing it's thermal properties. Got mine from magic mountain in glossop ( factory outlet for £50.00 instead of £200)

army 24hr ration packs (cheap as chips)- no need for a stove all precooked just eat out of the bag and they contain about 4000 calories worth in a 24 hr pack. if you want warm food- minimal size stove and you can put the foil food bag in the water, meaning that you get warm food and a brew from the same water. Nicest tick when it's subzero or widdling down is to fill a nalgene bottle with hot water and put it in the sleeping bag (gets it all nice and toasty for the night) and re-use water for a brew in the morning.

Good reading for proper bivvy nuts "the book of Bivvy" By Ronald Turnball , Cicerone press 2001 ISBN 1 85284 342

You haven't bivvied until you've had to build a snow cave. Now that's fun 😀

andrewh
    Free Member

Balloon bed. Don't laugh.

Did a mountain marathon and met a guy at the overnight stop. He had a super-lightweight titanium spork (spoon with prongs and sharp edge). Really nice, cost him £25 and was still heavier than the white plastic spoon I was carrying…

tazzymtb
    tazzymtb

http://bivibag.org.uk/

I've always used a miltary spec gortex bag with a gear storage area and breather vent so even in torrential rain you and all your gear is bone dry. also camo so you blend in as bivvying is of dubious legality in a lot of areas. 😉

coastkid
    Free Member

if your going near trees consider getting yourselve one of these and get off the ground… hennessny hammock and get a better nights sleep…
    your boots/shoes hang under neath when you get in from underneath and its sealed from midges with netting on sides…
    just add a sleeping bag,
    aussie army hoochie tarp to sit and cook under,
    trangia stove,
    cup,
    pot with lid for pasta,
    hip flask!

flatfish
    Free Member

second the hennessey cos it's just a hanging bivvy!!!

ton

thanks for the ideas fella's….
    one thing, if i used a hammock, i would have to use steel ropes to hold it up…………….. 😉

sambob
    Free Member

alpkit hunka-£30 or xl for £50 if you are tall 🙂 magic mountain is definitely worth a look, but i havn't seen it open for a while, so im not sure whats going on there :S alpkit cutlery and pots and pans are good value too 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

rab survival zone
    ajungaluk tundra
    berghaus down vest

If its very cold ill take a sleeping bag liner , its its very warm ill take my parachute material sleeping bag that is size of tin of beans and a liner – still smaller/lighter than the tundra.

i dont bother with a mat when bivvying unless grounds frozen ! just pick an accordingly comfy spot to bivvy.

at the strathpuffer i used two thermarests and a -20 bag. That was a comfortable night didnt miss the tent at all !

flatfish
    Free Member

thanks for the ideas fella's….
    one thing, if i used a hammock, i would have to use steel ropes to hold it up……………..

i know your a big lad ton but these'll hod 21 stone

Scootash
    Free Member

My setup is:

Alpkit PipeDream 600
    Alpkit Hunka Bivvy Bag
    Alpkit Wee Airic mat
    Backpackinglight solo tarp with titanium pegs
    Jetboil

It's not super lightweight, but you can be comfortable out for multiple
    nights with this.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Tony, I've got a spare Alpkit Bivi bag, so don't buy one..

ton

nick, nice one mate.. 8)

Chew
    Free Member

How you guys carry all of your stuff?

Got a FS bike so rack is out of the question. Carry it all on your back in a 20l bag, or somehow get some of it on the bike?

Nick

Put your sleeping bag inside the bivvy bag, roll it up, put it in a dry bag and strap the bag under your bars, google Epic or Carousel Designs for some neater solutions or bodge something together yourself.

Put mat and anything else in a bag on your back, or get a seatpost mounted rack.

singlespeedstu

Ride to pub.

Drink beer in pub.

Stay in B&B room above pub.

Sorted. 😉

coastkid
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

Ride to pub.

Drink beer in pub.

Stay in B&B room above pub.

Sorted.
    add pull barmaid..only ever happened once.. 🙂

buckets
    Free Member

me and my two mates are thinking of bivi ing this year. we stay in the highlands so should be great. were going with bivi bags and tarps if weather crap. can just about put gear in camelback mayhem then noticed no spare clothes so back to old mountain climbing rucksack. any one got sugestions of food.

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Expedition foods is some of the better freeze dried stuff out there. Ti Kettle, Optims Crux stove and folding spork, I also use a primus wind shield that clips to the gas cannister.

I use a OMM Jirishanca pack nowadays or if weather bad a larger MacPac Amp Race 45. Look at the gear adventure racers are using. The OMM pack has the Duomat sleep mats fitted so ground insulation. Water carry on the bike, easier to fill bottles than a camelbak from streams.

I gave up on bivvy bags, bar mountaineering, and now use a Terra Nova Laser Comp, lighter than a lot of bivvy bags and more comfortable. Sleeping bag Mont Bell Down hugger, comforts like Ajungilak inflatable pillow.

some good gear can be got from Likeys

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘ideas for a bivvi kit please….’ is closed to new replies.