Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Idea: here I am service
  • Surfr
    Free Member

What with the sharki thread and various SAR stories on the BBC I wonder if there is any call for a website which you can tell where you are planning to be when you head to the hills or out to sea. If the user fails to check in after a given time then proceedings can take place to escalate the situation.

Wouldn't take me long to knock up a prototype.

Worthwhile or pie in the sky?

walla24
    Free Member

i think that is a good idea, if you register your number or something you can get a call/txt asking if ur ok?
    presumably though that would incur a charge?
    Idea is a good one though

mogrim

Imagine your server goes down, just when someone goes missing… What civil responsability do you have?

I'd love to see your insurance bill for that one!

brooess
    Free Member

seems useful but don't underestimate the relatively small no. of people who do these activities – so not a lot of money if you're hoping to make a business out of this.
    Also requires people to be able to get internet access as soon as they get back e.g. coming off Ben Nevis at 8pm you'll be lucky to find an internet cafe and if you don't have internet enabled phone or can't get a signal, it could lead to unnecessary Mountain Rescue callout.
    But seems like a great idea if you can get it to work, and publicise it's existence. Maybe call Mountain Rescue and Coastguard people and discuss with them how they think it could be made to be workable?

Edric64
    Free Member

I think that's a good idea especially as mobile technology is getting better all the time .So you can respond using the net as well on your phone these days .If you have problems and then resolve them so you can inform the site to stand SAR down as well .Yes go for it !

Surfr
    Free Member

Lots of things to think about. Especially the liability and the 'check in' function on safe return. Keep the thoughts coming.

hilldodger
    Free Member

It's a good idea but don't see how it works any better than telling a mate/family member where you're off to and when you reckon you'll be back.

Might be better if it could link to any GPS device/mobile phone you're carrying and give a location, even if it's approximate…….

AlasdairMc

Why don't you just tell someone where you're going instead?

Too many issues with false positives, people not having net access at the end of their route or whatever.

devs
    Free Member

Imagine your server goes down, just when someone goes missing… What civil responsability do you have?

I'd love to see your insurance bill for that one!

The fact that people even think like this does my head in. Bloke comes up with potential life saving idea and the money and man power it could save are ridiculous, but it gets shot down because of a perceived American style litigation threat. If someone goes missing, how would it be the responsibility of the OP to be accountable for them? Devs wanders away from the computer shaking his head in disgust. Go for it I say, if it saves one life it's worth it.

tron
    Free Member

I looked into something along these lines recently.

The big issue is mobile signal. You will get people setting up a check in and then finding themselves in a signal deadspot, which will lead to false positives. I would suggest perhaps doing it (and charging for it) via text message (much bigger market than via mobile web).

daveagiles
    Free Member

Another aspect is people taking more risk because they perceive themselves to be safer.

Great idea, alot of variables though, a system that you could send a text to as well as logging on would be good.

Talkemada
    Free Member

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think its a daft idea – KISS – just tell someone where you are going and when you will be back.

Relying on technological solutions is dangerous.

Not nearly enough market to make any money

BurnBob
    Free Member

I think this just over complicates things.

Why not just tell your other half, pal, dog where you are going and when you will be back.

If you do not have an other half, pal or dog then phone the police. They will log it as they do with every call received. At least you will have told them where you were going etc should anything happen.

Not sure if MRT, Police and RAF would be happy lauching a search mission for you because you have failed to update your status.

Sorry to be negative, just my opinion.

cinnamon_girl

Hmmm, interesting thread.

I regularly go out on my own and have done so for years but used to leave a route map with my ex.

Am now on my own and do sometimes feel rather concerned that if I failed to return, nobody would know. But this will not stop me.

In fact, for my (solo) holiday this year I will be riding and walking in remote areas up North where sometimes you can not get a phone signal. Don't have internet access on my mobile either.

So … am I being irresponsible?

bassspine
    Free Member

Surfr: I reckon it's got the bones of a good idea in it. A kind of Twitter with crampons…

cinnamon_girl

Just remembered. The Yorkshire 3 Peaks Walk. We checked in at the Pen-y-Ghent Cafe in Horton in Ribblesdale and then checked out again, within 12 hours later. If anyone failed to return, the Mountain Rescue were informed.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CG – you should be able to check in with your accommodation each day or leave a note in your car.- let them know your route and ETa so they know if you don't turn up

Not irresponsible in any way so long as you are within your limits of ability.

With the original idea its the false alarms that is the issue.

uplink
    Free Member

So … am I being irresponsible?

No

I've walked/ridden/ran in all sorts of remote areas for years – long before cell phones
    I tell peolpe what time I expect to be back & roughly where I'm going
    When I had nobody to miss me, it didn't concern me as I knew it wouldn't concern anyone else if I went missing

cinnamon_girl

TJ- self-catering! I'm actually pretty sensible and don't take risks.

Agree with your comment about relying on technology though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

uplink – Member

When I had nobody to miss me, it didn't concern me as I knew it wouldn't concern anyone else if I went missing

That the attitude. 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

Its a good idea but not a perfect solution, set it up for you and your mates then grow it from there

smell_it
    Free Member

I live by myself and generally ride alone, I have a big note pad near my front door and pretty religiously just write on it the date roughly where I'm riding and when I expect to be back. If I'm heading off for days etc I always let family know, and generally check in everynight. I don't worry about having an accident, I just wouldn't want to waste time for any of the services if anyone did worry. I'm not sure about a web based system, it seems to create more anxiety, my mum would be checking where I am all the time!

Karinofnine

I thought you could be tracked via your phone, via the cell, and if no signal, by satellite. My phone certainly always knows where it is. Isn't that what the AA use?

C_G, I sometimes wonder what would I do if I crashed badly when out on my own. I suppose I should get into the habit of telling someone where I am going.

Would the OP's plan be the last piece of information required by burglars? They can get your address, bamk, date of birth and spending habits, now you are going to be ever so obliging and let them know that you won't be home!

fisha
    Free Member

What GPS enabled phones should have by default is an emergency response ping system which works even without a mobile signal.

For example, you're out in the hills and people are looking for you, something like a helicopter or mountain rescue could have a device which pulses a general broadcast of 'whos there' or 'is number XXX there?' , and if the mobile is there, the mobile phone sends a generic pulse back to say 'yes'. If the phone is a GPS enabled one, then it could pulse back with 'yes, i'm here at grid refence XXX'

Or,

If the phone has its GPS disabled by the user to save battery, and the user is unable to enable it, the phone will hear the first pulse of who's there, reply back with yes, then automatically try and switch on the GPS to locate its position and reply back with its position next time its pulsed.

Could easily be made a function on the standard GSM network.

andybach
    Free Member

It kind of already exists –
    there are a variety of systems where you can call in a mobile phone – leave a message to say where you are and how long you will be gone – and it then rings you back after the set time, if you don't respond there is then a set escallation protocol – so 3 unanswered calls, then your next of kin/colleague/boss and ultimatly the police.
    General Details here http://www.suzylamplugh.org/shop/directory/

We've trialled it at work a few times but people failed to log out far to often resulting in too many false alarms.

Personally i think it would work ok, as a web based idea for recreational users.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I like this idea, surely if a window was allowed to take into account mechanicals etc and was maybe text based I think it would work.

usually when you text back you will be home or lower level and have network coverage.

Then using the tracking above if you didn't reply in the given time a call to be made to a nominated number to cover any flat batteries etc and if no response or confirmation of "home safe" a alert to the relevant services would be made.

As was said if it saves one life it must be worth exploring the options,

SUFR

as and when you need some test dummies I'd gladly help you out :mrgreen:

Surfr
    Free Member

Perhaps if you remove the automated reporting side of things and just use it as a way for people to draw a quick square on a google map of where they are going to be. That way if somebody raises the alarm in the traditional ways, at least the services would have a starting point for a search. It negates the issue of false alarms but might not give the user as much security. After all SOMEBODY still has to raise the alarm in the first place.

All I'd need to do would be to make the services aware that the site existed and that it would be worth looking at in the event of a MisPer.

singletrackmind

If you can Google mapping enable a Blackberry to give an approximate location, then surely the technology is in place. Obviuosly allowing for atmospheric conditions, dead spots etc. I like the idea. How about a back up Landline no. if the mobile does not respond after , say 3 attempts 15 mins apart?
    ICE numbers can be stored in the system and activated if required.

uplink
    Free Member

For those that are concerned about these things – not something I'd ever use it as a matter of course but …………. if it makes people feel more secure & safe

http://www.alcotek.co.uk/gps-gsm-trackers/gps-gsm-trackers.html

andybach
    Free Member

These are also available and can tranmit messages.
    http://international.findmespot.com/

To be honest – a reliable buddy system is the best and easiest solution.

Reliable is the key word here…………..

Kuco

We have something similar at work called a lone workworker and i'm sure Vodafone offers something similar but I think you have to be a business user.

Surfr
    Free Member

All the phone based ideas require GPRS signal to uplink. This is usually not available in the sort of places we go to play in unfortunately.

uplink
    Free Member

All the phone based ideas require GPRS signal to uplink. This is usually not available in the sort of places we go to play in unfortunately.

If you're looking for something like this & don't think you'll have cellular coverage look at something like the McMurdo Fastfind

EDIT: just to mention – technically, it's illegal in the UK [wireless telegraphy act & all that]

igm

I like the idea above that search and rescue helicopters might be fitted with an "all networks" mobile mini-cell – that ought to be doable* after all some airlines have them now I think and very useful – the advice becomes if no signal, leave mobile off to conserve battery until you hear a helicopter then hit 999, which of course patches you through to the helicopter guys direct.

*if someone's paying – ahh that'll be noone as taxes go up and spending down thanks to the irresponsible types in London (politicians or bankers according to your prejudices)

uplink
    Free Member

This is all getting very Thunderbirds now, I think I'll just continue to tell the missus what time to put the tea on

GrahamA
    Free Member

Depending on how high tech' you want to get you could always get a Distress Radiobeacon like this it's quite expensive but does the job lots of people are describing on this thread.

I ride alone and tend to rely on telling someone where I'm going and checking in when I get back.

atlaz
    Free Member

I usually tell my wife where I am, but having something like tripit.com where you could put your intended route (or an approximation) and then friends/family/police could access if they wanted could be good.

Probably wouldn't take more than a day or two to knock up either.

cinnamon_girl

Keep thinking about this subject and am quite surprised that nobody has exploited this opportunity.

I would happily pay an annual subscription to be reassured that if anything did happen, I could press a button and help could be summoned. But it's the button that's the stumbling block obviously.

So … anything else that could be utilised? Check-in system at a local pub/corner shop/petrol station/24 hour Tesco?

C_G, I sometimes wonder what would I do if I crashed badly when out on my own. I suppose I should get into the habit of telling someone where I am going

Karin – that has happened to me! Mid-week, middle of Hampshire on a rainy day on a little-used track. High speed crash on wet chalk followed by much pain. Checked bike over and got back on. After 5 days of constant pain, presented myself to A & E to be told I had broken my collar bone 😯

wwaswas

As long as you stay in mobile phone signal range Nokia Sportstracker is quite good for letting people know where you are.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Idea: here I am service’ is closed to new replies.