Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Idea's for extending my Wifi range
  • z1ppy

Got a ADSL 2 router but the signal is pretty rubbish due to the phone socket location (cannot be changed), and has an internal aerial (great idea) and I don’t really want to lower the frequency (5mhz to 2.4mh).

Any other options? Wifi Repeaters? The Cheaper the better…

PS: the router doesn’t support bridging

Milkie
    Free Member

How far? Building to building? If you don’t have LOS (Line of Sight) then 2.4Ghz would be better..

rondo101
    Free Member

Something like this?

Not used it personally, but am considering getting one.

z1ppy

Literally to my garage and garden (less than 50ft), our old router was upstairs (different phone line) and was fine, this new one is in the ground floor front room and is rubbish (signal comes and goes).

Coming to the conclusion changing the frequency will be the cheapest (free) and easiest option unfortunately. Just wondered on other ppl thoughts/idea’s..

Markie
    Free Member

I’d recommend getting two of those powerline ethernet over power things and a wifi accesss point.

router into powerline through house wiring into other powerline into wifi extender job done!

http://www.ebuyer.com/237200-netgear-200mbps-powerline-av-wireless-n-extender-kit-xavnb2001-100uks

The reason for connecting your wifi extender to your router by some means other than wifi is that it means you can get full wifi bandwidth from the repeater.

prezet
    Free Member

Repeaters are ok. You could try running some CAT5 through the loft and then installing another wireless access point – allow your router to handle all DNS. If CAT5 is a no-go, could always try the electrical ethernet plugs (the ones that run on your mains line throughout the house).

Cougar

Homeplugs.

What are you doing on 5MHz anyway, what’s wrong with the 2.4GHz range? 802.11a is pretty dead, 2.4GHz should give you marginally better range.

z1ppy

already have homeplug’s to a hub upstair for this computer.
    Not doing anything other than internal network media transfer, so would prefer to keep it at 5mhz for the ‘supposed’ speed boost it gives you. I may have to admit defeat and do it anyways for now (skint)

brassneck

Pringle Tub aerial?

z1ppy

Got a ADSL 2 router but the signal is pretty rubbish ……, and has an internal aerial

Had to search that out though… excellent.

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html

Cougar

would prefer to keep it at 5mhz for the ‘supposed’ speed boost it gives you

Um, I may be misremembering, but 5GHz is 802.11a. It’s theoretically faster than 802.11b but far more susceptible to interference and obstructions. 802.11g and the newer 802.11n should both be an improvement on 802.11a, which is all but obsolete.

In an ideal world, I’d suggest getting onto 802.11n where practical. It’s a hybrid system that takes the good bits from all the others (and so uses 2.4GHz and 5GHz).

Milkie
    Free Member

You may not be getting full speed from the 5Ghz range, it doesn’t go through walls very well and cannot go as far either. 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz have the same max speed of 54mbs, so it may be worth trying 2.4Ghz frequency.

Buying a replacement aerial can give you better results, or try the pringles tube method.

If the signal comes and goes, use a laptop and see what networks are running nearby, and manually choose a channel that no one is using, this can greatly increase your speed.

dan1980
    Free Member

If you’ve already got a powerline ethernet thing going on, could you add a wireless access point like this one?

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_9&products_id=112465

z1ppy

yep Dan, I was kinda hoping for a recommendation… for a cheaper unit.

Cheers all for the info, will take another look at the router options (cheap nasty talktalk thing)

brassneck

Had to search that out though… excellent.

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html

Good link, but being veggie I’m stuck with the Pringles 😀

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I used this – end up with one massive wireless network and fast speeds for small money Extend Your Wireless Network

z1ppy

cheers RJ, I’ve seen that, as I have a number of of Netgear DG834GT routers… which unfortunately unlike there DG834G cousins (as per the site) do not support bridging… I was a tad annoyed.

Have already some info on Netstumbler and mean to take a read, though as our neighbours only have their routers on intermittently I doubt it our issue, cheers though Milkie

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Idea's for extending my Wifi range’ is closed to new replies.