Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • iDave diet and…
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

colorectal cancers.
    After reading this report:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15674998
    How can I increase my fibre intake and still stick to the diet?

shaxi
    Free Member

terrible ! 🙁

disco_stu
    Free Member

more beans?

hilldodger
    Free Member

plenty of fibre in beans, pulses and leafy green veg 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

Fibre and whole grains ‘reduce bowel cancer risk’

Eating more cereals and whole grains could reduce the risk of developing colorectal cancer, a BMJ study says.

Not eating at all could reduce the risk of the onset of bowel cancer….

Scare mongering of the highest order.
    The BBC should be ashamed of itself.

Eating fibre and whole grains is known to help protect against cardiovascular disease, but experts say that any link with colorectal cancer is less clear because studies have not had consistent results

Theres far too much wrong with that article for it to be taken seriously.

Why would you want to do that ?.
    We do not need loads of fibre, and you should gain sufficient fibre from the veg you consume on the iDiet.

Carry on.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

So reporting articles from the British Medical Journal and including the “if’s” and “but’s” is scaremongering? Glad you edited out your “I declare this panic over” though, was worried I forgot to panic for a moment 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

So reporting articles from the British Medical Journal and including the “if’s” and “but’s” is scaremongering

Its a bit much pushing increased grain consumption, when consuming grains is actually causing health issues.
    😉

EDIT:

Anyway, you should all think yourselves lucky that we’re all still here after iDave’s visit to cern yesterday.
    I guess he must have resisted pushing any of the large shiney red buttons.
    😀

fourbanger
    Free Member

hilldodger:

plenty of fibre in beans, pulses and leafy green veg

Solo:

We do not need loads of fibre, and you should gain sufficient fibre from the veg you consume on the iDiet.

BBC article:

But their analysis of 25 previous studies found that fruit and vegetable fibre did not reduce risk.

Adding three servings (90g per day) of whole grains to diets was linked to a 20% reduction in the risk of colorectal cancer, researchers said.

I don’t think this artical is scaremongery, just reporting a BMJ study.

What’s wrong with Allbran on idave?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Its a bit much pushing increased grain consumption, when consuming grains is actually causing health issues.

Did I miss something here?

Solo
    Free Member

Look !.

Are we all going to play nice ?, or what !.

What’s wrong with Allbran on idave?
    Beats the heck out of me.
    What is allbran like without milk ?, any good ?.

I’m more concerned for the OP thinking they need to increase fibre consumption on a maybe in the BMJ, posted by the BBC.

And for the record, I believe that grain consumption is related to contributing to atherosclerosis, not preventing it !.

Solo
    Free Member

Did I miss something here?

Are you serious ?.
    😉

fourbanger
    Free Member

I find idave leaves me a bit bunged up to be honest. Other people have mentioned it as well. Before, I started the day on grains, allbran or muesli. Now I don’t. My fibre consumption has been significantly reduced.
    I didn’t think high fibre diets being good for your digestive system were news. I just happened to read this artical today so linked to it.
    Solo, seriously, maybe this is some in joke that I’m not getting, but what are you on about?

Solo
    Free Member

Solo, seriously, maybe this is some in joke that I’m not getting, but what are you on about?

Try to be specific and I’ll try to answer your question.

In the meanwhile you appear to be questioning my objection to consuming grain.
    If I am correct in that assumption, then I’d point out that the iDiet excludes grain, as part of a strategy to prevent weight gain and promote weight loss.

As gaining excessive weight leads to health problems, then it seems clear to me that consuming grain isn’t doing people much good.
    then take it further and consider that modern humans have spent more time living on a diet which didn’t include grain, than they have been consuming grain.

As above, grain consumption leads to health issues, impe.

Furthermore,
    I find idave leaves me a bit bunged up to be honest
    How is this directly attributable to the quantity of fibre you consume ?.
    There will be other factors you might want to discount before chowing down on your bowl of allbran.
    For example, are you consuming enough water, etc, etc.

😀

oddjob
    Free Member

I had been eating extra egg whites with my breakfast and that was causing problems. Now I am back to whole eggs only, everything is working fine 🙂

In other news, you get plenty of fibre from the beans and veges if you are eating enough of them. Don’t fall into the trap of living on meat and eggs as I have done from time to time.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

when consuming grains is actually causing health issues

😆

I’m not knocking the iDiet and I know that it works, but… and it’s a big BUT there are plenty of people who remain thin without it, it’s obviously not the only way to stay thin.

Whole grains don’t actually kill people.
    Fruit doesn’t kill people.
    Milk doesn’t kill people.

Solo
    Free Member

I had been eating extra egg whites with my breakfast and that was causing problems. Now I am back to whole eggs only, everything is working fine

In other news, you get plenty of fibre from the beans and veges if you are eating enough of them. Don’t fall into the trap of living on meat and eggs as I have done from time to time.

OddJob, good stuff.

Personally, I’m on a Spinach trip at the moment and I have started including courgettes into stuff too.
    😉

Solo
    Free Member

Mornin TSY.

Interesting. Over what time scale are you basing your statement ?.
    🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

Solo – Member
    And for the record, I believe that grain consumption is related to contributing to atherosclerosis, not preventing it !.

Is that a personal belief or something based on any hard evidence ?

I haven’t seen any studies linking moderate wholegrain consumption with any negative health effects but would be keen to see anything new. Remember there’s grains and there’s grains, refined white flour products Vs wholegrain oats/rye is pretty much like comparing a ‘meat pattie’ with an free range sirloin.

I don’t recall iDave ever saying his ‘plan’ was anything more than a general ‘catch all’ gulde to healthier eating for the purpose of weight loss, certainly not a hard and fast set of rules that apply to everyone.

iDave
    Free Member

As oddjob said, if you think the diet is just eating meat and eggs and a few beans then you’d be wrong. Lots of veg and beans. And don’t forget the nuts. The iDave diet isn’t short of fibre.

Regarding the research, the effect of extra fibre could also simply be offsetting the negatives of other health, exercise and dietary habits.

Oh look, beans and nuts do ok….. wonder why the article didn’t say eat more beans and nuts, maybe even scientists and journalists suffer from ingrained thinking…..

Food Serving Size Fiber in Grams
    Black Beans 1/2 cup 9.7
    Kidney Beans 1/2 cup 9.7
    Chick Peas 1/2 cup 6
    Peanuts 1/4 cup 3.25
    Peanut Butter, smooth, no salt 2 tbsp 2
    Almonds 1/4 cup 4
    Brazil nuts 1/4 cup 2.5
    Cashews 1/4 cup 1
    Walnuts 1/4 cup 2
    Amaranth 1/2 cup 9
    Brown Rice 1/2 cup 2
    Millet 1/2 cup 1
    Quinoa 1/2 cup 5
    Rolled oats 1/2 cup 4
    Whole Wheat Pasta 1 cup 5.7
    Whole Wheat English Muffin 1 whole 3.7
    Whole Wheat Bread 2 slices 6
    White Bread 2 slices 1.9

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Morning Solo 🙂

77 years.

I’m eating a big bowl of museli…only got the day off and a 50 mile bike ride to do, haven’t I!

Solo
    Free Member

Is that a personal belief or something based on any hard evidence ?

No, I didn’t just dream that up, I’ve been reading, as we are all free to do, should the desire take us.
    🙂

I haven’t seen any studies linking moderate wholegrain consumption with any negative health effects but would be keen to see anything new
    So you haven’t looked into the effects of lectin, gluten and phytate contained in processed grains ?.

Remember there’s grains and there’s grains, refined white flour products Vs wholegrain oats/rye is pretty much like comparing a ‘meat pattie’ with an free range sirloin
    Yeap, and if I were forced to choose between eating a slice of white bread or a slice of wholemeal.
    Its white bread, every time.
    And not for the taste.

I don’t recall iDave ever saying his ‘plan’ was anything more than a general ‘catch all’ gulde to healthier eating for the purpose of weight loss, certainly not a hard and fast set of rules that apply to everyone.
    Not quite, there are rules, and to achieve the promised results, one may wish to adhere to the rules, if one wishes to reap the reward.

ime, the iDiet was unleashed upon us by iDave, to serve the purpose of assisting people lose weight.
    I wasn’t there in the begining, as when I discovered the iDave phenomenon, others on here were already singing his praises.
    But I read it as a suggestion to serve the goal of losing excess body weight.
    Which, when followed, could see the subject get to around 15 percent body fat.

😀

Solo
    Free Member

Morning Solo

77 years.

I’m eating a big bowl of museli…only got the day off and a 50 mile bike ride to do, haven’t I!

So, that would be 97 years if you weren’t spending 76 years eating grain.
    😉

EDIT.

Oh, enjoy your day off and the bike ride.
    😀

fourbanger
    Free Member

iDave, no need to be defensive mate. I’m just asking the question!

The artical (and the research itself) specifically distiginguishes between fibre from different sources and suggests that fibre from grains is more beneficial than other sources.

I think I’ve taken on board the diet and am eating according to it. I eat relatively little meat and a lot of veg and beans, but no grains. For instance:

Breakfast:
    Foul Madammes and omlette.

Lunch:
    Can of tuna, bean salad, sun dried tomattos, pesto, raw cabbage, olive oil.

Dinner:
    Can of tuna, carrots, tomattos, fatoush, humous and pickled veg, olive oil.

I’ve stuck to it and lost weight for sure. I’m not questioning that.

Solo, regarding grains making you fat, more excercise will negate that. I view obesity not as an illness in itself but as a sympton of something else being wrong. Back before the surplus of food we have today, you wouldn’t have regarded a predisposition to gaining some weight or being more than 20% body fat as an illness, thats for sure.

As Southern yeti says:

Milk doesn’t kill people.

MrOvershoot

fourbanger – Member
    I find idave leaves me a bit bunged up to be honest

I’m not strictly on the iDave diet but most of my lunches are 5 bean & spicy tomato creations that I cook up on a Sunday evening and portion up for the week. & we eat a lot of salad, stir fry etc with either Fish or Chicken and very little white carbs.

I can’t say being bunged up has even remotely been a problem!

Solo
    Free Member

Breakfast:
    Foul Madammes and omlette.

Lunch:
    Can of tuna Mackerel or wild Salmon, bean salad, sun dried tomattos, pesto, raw cabbage, olive oil.

Dinner:
    Can of tuna Mackerel or wild Salmon, carrots, tomattos, fatoush, humous and pickled veg, olive oil.

That sounds fair, keep up the good work.

Solo, regarding grains making you fat, more excercise will negate that
    This path leads to Chronic Cardio.
    Sounds like hell on earth to me, if you are forced to go out for a run or a bike ride because you’ve been stuffing grains.

Leave out the grains, exercise for the fun of it, instead, may be ?.
    And feel great for it !.
    🙂

I view obesity not as an illness in itself but as a sympton of something else being wrong
    Correct, if only we had more people like you in the halls of Westminster….
    😉

I will disagree with you and TSY there.

Don’t get me wrong, I like a small piece of fruit, very occassionally.
    But it does not form part of my daily or weekly diet.
    Same could be said for dark chocolate.

😀

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not knocking the iDiet and I know that it works, but… and it’s a big BUT there are plenty of people who remain thin without it, it’s obviously not the only way to stay thin

It might be the only way for any particular person.

It’s not the only way to eat, however – that depends on you and whether or not you want or need to lose weight.

There’s no doubt in my mind that quick carbs have contributed hugely to the obesity problem.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Solo – Member

I haven’t seen any studies linking moderate wholegrain consumption with any negative health effects but would be keen to see anything new
    So you haven’t looked into the effects of lectin, gluten and phytate contained in processed grains ?.[/quote]

A wholegrain isn’t a processed grain is it 😆

And yes, I have, extensively – as a professional food scientist and postdoc biochemist it’s not exactly new to me……

….I’ve stayed pretty much the same weight/size/BMI/% body fat whatever for over 30 years, no health problems, excellent blood chemistry and physiological stats etc…..

…my ‘secret’ is eat a good variety of fresh unprocessed foods, take plenty of exercise, get lots of fresh air and chill/enjoy life as much as possible.

Maybe I should write a plan, let’s call it “the eat what you like in moderation and enjoy life plan” catchy huh !

epicyclo

Seeing as we have a food scientist here….

One of the things I have often wondered about is how much the differences in the flora (is that the right word?) in the gut makes to the value of the food we eat.

For example, if I go to a 3rd world country, there’s a good chance I’ll get the galloping trots from eating the same food that the locals are enjoying with no problem.

I reckon you should write a book “the eat what you like in moderation and enjoy life plan”, but if you want it to sell you’ll have to introduce some exotic substances and strange exercises into it before the market will believe you. 🙂

It puzzles me that for all the purported unwholesomeness of our food, we seem to live longer than most of the populations eating “healthier diets”.

hilldodger
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member
    Seeing as we have a food scientist here….

One of the things I have often wondered about is how much the differences in the flora (is that the right word?) in the gut makes to the value of the food we eat.

A lot, is the simple answer 🙂
    A significant part of our non-specific immunity comes from resident gut flora and the animal population of any specific area will develop a gut flora suited to ‘defend’ against it’s local environmental, gut bacteria also produce micronutrients which are a valuable addition to our dietary sources.
    It’s partly why you may feel so crap after broad spectrum antibiotics, all your gut bacteria are killed, valuable local flora as well as exogenous pathogens.

It puzzles me that for all the purported unwholesomeness of our food, we seem to live longer than most of the populations eating “healthier diets”.

also down to levels of sanitation/access to clean drinking water/food storage conditions/health education/health screening etc.
    But yes, I’d broadly speacking say there is no such thing as an unhealthy food, just unhealthy eating patterns.
    It’s what ‘winds me up’ so much about the iDisciples (not iDave himself, as he speaks an awful lot of sense) – they just seem to want to be given a magic list of foods they can eat as much of as they want and they will automatically get healthy and slim.
    Well, breaking news fatboys – you’re fat because you’re greedy, lazy or both: if you pig out on finest organic beans or a big plate of buttery toast there’s not much difference, you’ll still be fat but the beans will make you smell worse 😉
    Remember, I’m not talking about ‘fine tuning’ high level atheletes to get a few % BF off and increase their endurance/performance/recovery indices, I’m talking about lardy hobby athletes who think their obesity is down to their ‘insulin spikes’ or their ‘grain intake’ or their ‘glucose/fructose balance’….

…anyway lunchtime, I’m off to the chippy 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Can I just ‘chip’ in and point out that some obesity is down to an underactive thyroid. Speaking from personal experience here. 🙁

epicyclo

Thanks, much as I thought. 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

Ah, just back from the park.
    Bit nippy, but I suppose it is November.
    😉

A wholegrain isn’t a processed grain is it
    What is your wholemeal bread made from exactly ?.
    Do you know how many batches of vermin contaminated wholegrain flour, don’t get spotted.
    Like its not easy seeing rat pooh in wholemeal flour.
    Kinda tend to detect rat hair and pooh in white flour more easily, dont’ we.
    Go ask the “farming today” folk.
    They told me all about it.
    😉

And yes, I have, extensively – as a professional food scientist and postdoc biochemist it’s not exactly new to me……

Yet you Fail to discuss the contents of grains and just how nutrisious they are.
    On two seperate occasions now, you have avoided discussing the effect of lectin, gluten and phytate, on the human body……all found in grain.
    Why ?, I almost wonder….
    Perhaps I should become a food scientist.
    Where do I apply for the blinkers ?.
    😉

fresh unprocessed foods What is bread, pasta then ?.

take plenty Please quantify this of exercise, get lots of fresh air and this[/b] and chill/enjoy life as much as possible
    So, life treats you well.
    Aren’t you lucky.
    😉

Maybe I should write a plan, let’s call it “the eat what you like in moderation and enjoy life plan” catchy huh !

Plenty of people have been eating what they like
    But I wouldn’t bother picking up your pen, just yet, if I were you.
    No, really, I mean it.

You also seem to fail to distinguish between the foods Man evolved to eat, and what the human body can tolerate.
    Should any of us respect this distinction ?.

I don’t suppose it makes any difference whether you put petrol or diesel into the fuel tank of your car.
    So long as you don’t fill it up, and so long as you run the car.
    Everything is fine, no ?.

So, this is how it is going to be.
    On each of these threads you are going to contradict others with your.
    eat what you like, and pay your penance on the tread mill mantra.
    Next, you’ll be telling us to eat less and move more.
    🙂

Thats it for today.

cinnamon_girl

Just picking up on a rather stressed Solo’s post 😉

Like most kids, bread was a huge part of my diet. How come now (am over 50) my stomach can only tolerate a small quantity? I put it down to everything being maximised for yield so the actual grain has changed in its entirety.

Hope that makes sense!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Solo – Member
    You also seem to fail to distinguish between the foods Man evolved to eat, and what the human body can tolerate.
    Should any of us respect this distinction ?.

So, what foods has man evolved to eat then ?
    We are omnivores, able top process and extract energy from a wide range of foods and deal with their metabolic waste effectively.
    Grains have been a part of the human diet for over 3000 years, plenty of time to induce the enzyme levels required to make them a useful energy source.

Solo – Member
    Yet you Fail to discuss the contents of grains and just how nutrisious they are.
    On two seperate occasions now, you have avoided discussing the effect of lectin, gluten and phytate, on the human body……all found in grain.
    Why ?, I almost wonder….

Because I choose not to, coming up with a list of biochemical groups means nothing, nothing at all without any context

Solo – Member
    So, this is how it is going to be.
    On each of these threads you are going to contradict others with your.
    eat what you like, and pay your penance on the tread mill mantra.

No, I’m going to keep saying that prevention is better than cure and no-one with a normal biochemistry/endocrinology ‘got fat’ by accident, they ‘got fat’ because they were greedy and/or lazy

while you’re going to say something gobbledegookesque and claim that “as long as you eat iFoods you’ll be fine, the weight will drop off, years of accumulated dietary toxins will be magically eliminated, aerobic capacity will increase and ass will be whupped”

Solo – Member
    What is your wholemeal bread made from exactly ?

Why, do you want a recipe – oh no I forgot, the grains will kill you 😆
    as for animal contaminants, it’s not an issue, no really – there’s nothing in the odd bit of hair/skin/spit/poop that will remain toxic after exposure to cooking conditions and the extraneous glycoproteins are giving my immune system a nice little boost[/quote]

Go ask the “farming today” folk.

ask them what, it’s 15 minutes of government funded sound bites, hardly authoritative [/quote]

So, life treats you well. Aren’t you lucky

No not lucky, there’s no luck involved – just common sense lifestyle choices

take plenty Please quantify this of exercise, get lots of fresh air and this and chill/enjoy life as much as possible

Plenty, I would say 60 minutes per day of aerobic activity at a level where normal talking is just possible

Fresh Air, outdoor conditions – hopefully away from significant sources of pollution/contamination, usually found in the green and pleasant lands we call ‘the countryside’

Next, you’ll be telling us to eat less and move more.

Now there’s an idea

Where do I apply for the blinkers ?.

You tell me, you seem to be doing fine……..

hilldodger
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Like most kids, bread was a huge part of my diet. How come now (am over 50) my stomach can only tolerate a small quantity? I put it down to everything being maximised for yield so the actual grain has changed in its entirety.

Hope that makes sense!

I don’t know CG, I’m of the same era as you, was also fed a lot of bread’n’jam suppers and have absolutely no dietary disorders or intolerances, maybe it’s to come ?

Nearly all my childhood bread was home made though, my parents were a bit “Good Life” so much of our diet was from backyard/allotment sources, certainly no white flour or, perish the thought, sliced bread…..

molgrips
    Free Member

Whilst that would probably stop most people being obese, it won’t allow me to get down to 12% body fat, trust me.

hilldodger
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Whilst that would probably stop most people being obese, it won’t allow me to get down to 12% body fat, trust me.

Of course, I did say I was talking about the average fat person, not people trying to shave the last few % points, hope you reach your goals 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I read that insulin causes many of the effects of ageing, so by minimising the amount that your body produces over your lifetime you can delay those effects…

philconsequence
    Free Member

i dunno molly, i’ve had 27years of insulin inducing diet and i look 13.

si-wilson
    Free Member

I’m struggling to read any of this due to all the damn smillies.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘iDave diet and…’ is closed to new replies.