Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Ice Tech Rotors
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Do they make a difference? I’m deciding whether to upgrade my SLX brakes on my DH bike. I’m also tempted to go for Zee brakes.

Note: This is not just for the UK: I’m off to Whistler in July :mrgreen:

ratherbeintobago

More melty?

duir
    Free Member

My rear XT Ice tech rotor died in Torridon mid ride. Melted and warped so badly that it would not allow the rear wheel to run smoothly.

Replaced it with the standard rotor and can’t tell any difference whatsoever.

mikey74
    Free Member

Woah!! 😯

That answers that one, lol.

robnav
    Free Member

they are not very good with rock impacts! they are a stainless steel laminated sandwich and when a rock strikes them they can get damaged quite easily. the thin skin of stainless can get rolled over which is pretty much irrepairable and will destroy your pads and maybe your calipers or pistons.

tom200

They do weigh less though!

mikey74
    Free Member

They do weigh less though!

Oh, well! That’s alright then. I’m sold :mrgreen:

sharkattack

Wow another chance to join in on an ice-tech thread.

Yep, mine melted in record time in the Alps and Madison took their sweet bloody time about giving me my money back. So I went from the most expensive rotors I’ve ever had to the cheapest (Superstar) and the current ones work perfectly.

They wouldn’t last 5 minutes in Whistler.

mikey74
    Free Member

It all seems a bit pointless, doesn’t it? You would have thought they’d been tested first.

TBH, I’ve heard of them but I don’t read mtb mags any more so I’ve never really known what they [are supposed] do. I guessed they were meant to stop brakes overheating. Maybe they do, by sacrificing themselves :mrgreen:

matther01
    Free Member

Melting brakes? Just use them less…sorted! 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Ice Tech Rotors’ is closed to new replies.