Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 243 total)
  • I want a Caravan that's not a Caravan!
  • JustAnotherLogin
    Free Member

The aussies seem to like rugged trailer/caravan combos

mikewsmith
    Free Member

JustAnotherLogin – Member
    The aussies seem to like rugged trailer/caravan combos

Yep mostly driven to places where a couple in a hire car drive into too 🙂 It’s all about the image

Speshpaul

Just get a caravan, and get over yourself:-)

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Just had 2 weeks on the Rhine in our Swift Challenger. The weather was a bit up & down but we set the awning up and we stayed dry, unlike the poor tent campers who were constantly trying to dry out. i just love having the freedom to do as you please AND be able to sneak your boys toys away with you too!not cheap when you factor all the up front costs in but hey ho. The continentals do it differently to us though, they tend to have more basic vans but bring a lot of gear with them and set up under a basic canopy, fridges, microwaves, coffee machines etc. The refreshing thing is that nothing seems to get pinched, even I overcame my paranoia of constantly checking if the bikes were still there every five minutes. Most bikes weren’t even locked up, even expensive electric ones. Those Hobby streamlined vans look absolutely stunning in the flesh.

molgrips
    Free Member

not cheap when you factor all the up front costs in but hey ho

New vans are expenisve, older ones can be bargains.

jimbocube
    Free Member

I had the same issue about 8 years ago when putting up a tent and every luxury took for hours. Now have a 5 berth Sterling and take 4 bikes on the roof and inflatible kayak in the boot. Doesn’t matter what it looks like as we love it and so much easy than a tent. If you are seriously looking go on ukcampsite forum to ask about towing weights etc as it’s important that you get that right etc.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I suppose that’s true of most things though. Newer vans are incredibly nice places to be in, but agreed, older ones can be had for relatively little money. They tend not to depreciate as quickly as a car though.

Tiger6791

Think I’ve found one

4 Berth
    Space for bikes
    Twin bunks for the kids
    Basic washroom with Toilet (no shower though)
    Double Bed
    Lightweight (most family cars will tow it)
    Looks a bit different, interior is bit IKEA
    Seems quite cheap (well compared to other Caravans) £10k New
    Comes with a 5 Year warranty

Downside is that I’d have to import it 😕 (but only form Germany)

http://www.knaus.de/caravans/deseo/grundrisse/deseo-plus.html

What do we think of that?

Could get it wrapped (Metallic grey to match car) to tart it up a bit and make it even less like a Caravan

molgrips
    Free Member

Blimey, I’m impressed! Importing it won’t be an issue – just drive over and pick it up. It’s really not that far to Germany.

Showers are a god-send at 24hr races, but you can’t complain at that price.

hooli

I looked at this last year as we do a fair bit of camping but I gave up and decided that once I had bought the thing, stored it somewhere, kept it clean/maintained and then towed it to a site, it was easier, less hassle and cheaper to just stay in a hotel or BnB.

I really like the idea of it but it would need to get used a lot more often than I would for it to make financial sense.

molgrips
    Free Member

I hate staying in B&Bs, it’s far nicer in a caravan imo. You cook your own food, eat your own snacks, drink your own drinks, bring your own stuff etc. Way more convenient – I never feel at home in B&Bs.

Plus in a van you’re still very much not in a house – like being outside but still warm and dry. Over the BH it rained and we sat inside with the windows wide open, kids playing, watching the rain in the trees – very nice.

edlong
    Free Member

What you want sir is a camper.

Family of 4 = Motorhome

Been there, done that, and a caravan would be loads less hassle. Example: You’re on the campsite and want to go to the supermarket, not far away, but further than you can easily walk or cycle (and who wants to carry a load of beer back on a bike?):

Caravan owner: Jump in car. Drive to shops. Shop. Drive back.

Motorhome / camper owner: Pack everything in van away. Turn gas off. Disconnect electric hookup. Wind awning back in. Turn the beds back into seats. Pack bedding away. Open all blinds / remove “silverscreen” from windscreen. Wind tv aerial back in. Get van off ramps. Stow ramps away (possibly). Drive to shops. Shop. Drive back. Get van back on ramps. Set up awning. Plug electric back in. Turn on gas. Get stuff out. Turn beds back into beds.

If you’re moving every day then this may not apply, but if, like the OP’s situation sounds, you’re planning on setting up on a campsite for a week or two, then a caravan is a million times more convenient for the simple reason that you have a car available. Unless you have a little car to tow on the back of the motorhome. In which case you need to put it on a trailer for the south of France, because the French don’t like A-frames. And of course, you have the extra expense of running another car unless you happen to already run something small enough to tow.

Tiger6791

For us it makes financial sense from the off.

Our holidays are cheap!

We throw the tent in the boot and go, holidays cost, tunnel fare, petrol, site fees and spending. we have friends that spend 3-4k on a holiday regularly.

The best thing we like about camping is the ease with 2 kids, we’ve found with hotels apartments that your a bit confined to the hotel room once the kids go to bed, I know the same is true with camping but being permanently outdoors seems to change the rules, kids stay up a bit later, go to kids disco while you have a drink down the bar.

Plus I don’t know why, but I hate being tied down to a booking.

Tiger6791

I know! Quite smitten with it!

Could be the one

eskay

molgrips – Member

The maximum (legal) braked trailer weight for my car is a measly 800kg!!!!

How’d you work that out? From the handbook or from the gross train weight?

800kg is pushing it but there might be some options for you. You might however find that you could change the car for a similarly aged but higher powered one for no extra money…

It is on the log book:

Technical permissible maximum towable mass of the trailer:
    Braked 800kg
    Unbraked 720kg

From what I have read, that means that the rating badge on the caravan for MTPLM must be 800kg or lower.

jp-t853

shifter – Member

Loving that Knaus!

http://news.campanda.com/de_DE/wp-content/uploads/2/2014/07/Knaus-Deseo-Motorrad.jpg

They sold quite a lot of single axle ones in the UK a few years ago. They were known as Eifelland Deseo plus I think. The bunks folded up for bikes. The seats wern’t very comfy and they did not have a grill etc. Not sure about fuel economy pulling a wall behind you but I liked them a lot.

molgrips
    Free Member

From what I have read, that means that the rating badge on the caravan for MTPLM must be 800kg or lower.

Hmm.. I don’t THINK that’s a legal thing, but I’m not sure. I would be stopped if I tried to tow up to the limit given in the Passat’s logbook, which is 1800kg.

My Dad’s focus (petrol 1.6) is limited by the maximum permissible gross train weight.

Some chatter on your car here: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=20&TopicID=251852 There seems to be a discrepancy between the manual and what’s written on the plate on this guy’s car.

ChrisS
    Free Member

One of these might fit the bill:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/d5ZUE5]Untitled[/url] on Flickr

Dethleffs Campy, more pics here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjBVy1qG

slowoldman

Well I’ve just been looking at Eribas and now I want a Caravan. Damn you, I’ve been quite happy with tents up to now.

The small ones remind me of a lovely 3 berth my parents had. Dead fancy upholstery and loads of storage space and it weighed in at about 10cwt. Oh and speaking of towing weights, their first van was a big 2nd hand lump weighing about as much as 2 traction engines. They towed it with a 1200 Cortina.

molgrips
    Free Member

My Auntie used to tow a big (in those days) 14ft 5 berth van using an old Mini! Although I suspect the weight issue may have been helped by them having THREE TEENAGE KIDS in the back. Of a Mini.

FFS.. nutters..

EDIT It looks like the plated Gross Train Weight is the legal thing – NOT what’s in the handbook – but don’t take my word for it obv. The handbook figure, as I understand it, is the maximum weight you can pull away on a 12.5% slope if your car is fully laden.

chomp
    Free Member

that knaus is a cracker alright. I think I’d really want a bog in it though, as our kids wont be old enough to traipse to the bog at night on their own for a few years yet and when we’re camping it’s always my job to go with them 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

We used to have a van without a bog, well over 30 years ago 🙂 We had a standalone toilet which we put in its own special tent 🙂

jp-t853

Further to my earlier post I found a completed Ebay auction of one of those Knauff Deseos which used to be sold as Eifelland so they do come up on the second hand market. Single axles are so much easier to tow also.

Ebay Link

bigblackshed

Edlong.

100% nail on the head.

My MILs motor home is a smaller coachbuilt 4 berth. Ideal for 2, cramped for 4. With an awning and warm weather it’s fine. We use it as if it’s a caravan. We take a car with us. Too many weeks sat inside with the rain pouring and no other transport to go and explore.

If I had better storage space I’d have a caravan tomorrow.

molgrips
    Free Member

Campervans are generally much smaller than caravans inside, too. To get something approaching the space of a typical caravan you need a gigantic motorhome.

takisawa2

£10k would buy you a very nice caravan but 800kg is a hopeless towing limit. I’d change the car. Paid £8k for our Swift Challenger 5yrs ago, & its still worth 2/3 of that. Central heating, double glazing, walk-in shower etc. Took a while to find but its the older double dinette layout, with a screen that basically turns the one end into the kids bedroom. I cant be bothered with a full awning (such a faff, take hours to put up properly), we do use a porch awning sometimes though. I fancy one of those canopies that pull out, loads of French/Spanish/Dutch were using them. Our caravan can be fully functional / ready to tow in as little as 10-15 mins, try that with a 6 berth tent…

That Knaus thing is hideous. Might as well buy a horse box & some hammocks. Its hardly going to be the most sturdy thing at 800kg. Some of those foreign caravans are very flimsy & basic. If your going to tow something might as well be a nice.

molgrips
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oMjR4h]P8258386[/url] by molgrips, on Flickr

onehundredthidiot

Tried to post a pic of my t@b 320. Comes in at 800kg. Great fun and when I get the van towbar’d it’ll be absolutely spot on for multi bike fun.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

For gods sake don’t get a campy, my mate had one a classic example of style over substance. No heating, no shower, no cooker. Cost him 10k. He’s got rid of it now and we don’t talk about it 😉
    Who cares what they look like get the best specced, most comfortable van you can afford.

onehundredthidiot

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah they are great but I think their biggest one is only 3 berth?

dudeofdoom

I went over to Germany – hobby Hexel in Dortmund years ago when pound was high and bought a nice caravan …

I Always make a point of standing on the roof of mine whilst washing it…..

molgrips
    Free Member

On the roof of the caravan, or on the roof of the car that’s on top of the caravan?

andyl
    Free Member

jp-t853 – Member
    Further to my earlier post I found a completed Ebay auction of one of those Knauff Deseos which used to be sold as Eifelland so they do come up on the second hand market. Single axles are so much easier to tow also.

From my experience of livestock trailers single axle are a PITA. Bigger the better when it comes to towing.

I have been looking at caravans too after realising it does kind of make more sense than a camper but I fancy doing a road trip up through europe with the dog so not sure really. I want my own toilet and shower.

cozz
    Free Member

do you remember this one that was on the apprentice few years ago = looked really cool

`Id like one

http://www.opuscamper.co.uk/opus-moto.html

olddog

We did a 7 month trip in a 2 berth motorhome. Haing to pack up if wanting to drive somewhere during the day is a bit of a pain the arse to begin with, but got used to it a bit of discipline just unpacking what we needed.

There was enough room for two of us, but was hot and dry most of time so we only really slept and cooked in the van.

But I did wonder if a caravan would have been easier, although motorhome good for carrying surfboards in and kipping away from sites on the odd occassion.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I have a theory that because most people that can afford to buy a brand new caravan are over 50, probably over 60 that that is why they are all white and styled in a frumpy old fashioned way, then when younger people buy them for their young families they buy second hand but the fashion is dictated to them by people a generation older.

TheBrick
    Free Member

double post

takisawa2

Inside of our Chavavan.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/faJMab]IMAG1288[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fauwxR]IMAG1286[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fauz8r]IMAG1292[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fauxKK]IMAG1289[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

Do it OP, they are great.

Molgrips…moments like those are sadly few & far between. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 243 total)

The topic ‘I want a Caravan that's not a Caravan!’ is closed to new replies.