Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 243 total)
  • I want a Caravan that's not a Caravan!
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I fancy doing a road trip up through europe with the dog so not sure really. I want my own toilet and shower.

A van on your own would be the simplest thing in the world. Stop legs down, done. No faffing with family crap.. Not jealous or anything… 🙂 Btw 2 berth vans are quite a bit cheaper than bigger ones when they get old.

RustySpanner

OP, considered this?

onehundredthidiot

Molgrips they do an xl which is bigger, but huge. Weighs about the same as a small sun.

spooky_b329

Re the 800kg towing limit. The handbooks are unreliable. The legality is determined by the vin plate which gives the vehicle weights. Line 1 is the max weight of the car, line 2 is the max weight of the car plus van. 3 and 4 are axle weights.

So line 2 – line 1 = towing weight
    Mine for example (unusually high) is 6300 – 3500 = 2800kg

There is some debate that if the car is not fully loaded, the difference can be added to the towing weight to increase capacity, however I think this is something the law doesn’t specifically address and not intentional I.e it’s a grey area. I down rated my trailer to 2800kg to be safe.

With the 85 – 100% tow car advice it is normally irrelevant anyway.

eskay

joeegg – Member

Eskay,i think you have your weights wrong.
    I have a 1.8 Mondeo and tow a ‘van with an unladen weight of 1100kg and max laden of 1330 kg.
    A make such as Lunar or the Bailey Rangers would come into this weight bracket for a 4 berth caravan.

I think mine has a lower limit because it is an Econetic model and the gearing affects it.

molgrips – Member

From what I have read, that means that the rating badge on the caravan for MTPLM must be 800kg or lower.

Hmm.. I don’t THINK that’s a legal thing, but I’m not sure. I would be stopped if I tried to tow up to the limit given in the Passat’s logbook, which is 1800kg.

My Dad’s focus (petrol 1.6) is limited by the maximum permissible gross train weight.

Some chatter on your car here: http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=20&TopicID=251852 There seems to be a discrepancy between the manual and what’s written on the plate on this guy’s car.

Thanks for the link, having read through it is still not clear, there are quite a few opinions!

Some seem to think the MTPLM must not exceed the maximum towing limit on the V5 (800kg in my case) whilst others seem to think it can exceed 800kg as long as the gross train weight is not exceeded!

molgrips
    Free Member

Eskay – can you see what the plate says on your car, out of interest?

dudeofdoom

@Molgrips
    You couldn’t put a car on the roof of the english caravans when I bought the German one..

I think the fact that a lot of english bought German Caravans that
    1)Didn’t leak.
    2)Were strong and light as opposed to some hardboard tat.
    3)Had a contemporary look as opposed to velour an tassles.
    4)Werent wildly overpriced.
    (I paid £8.5k for something that would have been £15k)

Sorta forced the British to up their game.

I prefer a caravan over motorhome as you can detach and just drive the car as opposed to takeing the HGV to the shops.

I own a caravan but cant stand carvanning clique tbh.

Tiger6791

Our car can tow 3500kg so I may just put some wheels on the house 😉

edhornby

and who wants to carry a load of beer back on a bike?)

I can’t believe I’ve just read this statement on a bike forum ….

caravan’s are flawed solutions, they aren’t as mobile as a tent, and complexity of pitching really isn’t a consideration (I put up a vango 6000 pretty much on my own, took about 15 minutes to pitch/strike it)
    but you don’t get the experience of a proper bed and bathroom that you get in a hotel, or a villa if you want to self cater
    the costs of the van is daft compared to hotel prices and you are limited by range – once you have a van you end up only holidaying in it because you’ve lashed all that money on it…

and other caravanners !!

crispyrice

Get one of these and the world is your lobster

jp-t853

We have been through quite a few phases of camping.
    Tents are great and we still use them but they can make a holiday miserable.

We had a campervan for a few years and we loved it but it needed maintenance frequently, MOT’s etc. We also found that we moved on to quickly. We would pack everything up, go for a drive and then you think oh lets keep on going up the road and find somewhere new. We would spend a lot of time travelling and too little time absorbing places. That is the temptation of freedom.

Big motorhomes rob you of freedom, they are so limiting in where you can go.

When our daughter was born we wanted more room so went for a folding camper. The towing is easy, the space is lovely and it feels great sleeping under canvas in most conditions. Downside is packing it away dry becomes an obsession.

We then moved on to the dreaded caravan and it is the best of all worlds for us. We live in a small cottage with a very large garden so it comes in to the garden and makes a great self contained guest bedroom. We spend the time enjoying places. We can go out in the car and bikes etc are left secured in the porch awning with no hassle of clearing things away before you can move.

Our daughter loves it beyond words. We have done five star all inclusives and disney but she would take a weekend in the caravan anyday. We have had 160 days holidays in 25 months.

Ignore the giddy childs bum enjoy the view.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I do wonder if anything like the Australian folding campers you get will ever come to the UK. Not so much the off-road capabilities but that sort of design.

With the one my parents have you can use the kitchen (cooker, fridge, sink) without the trailer being unfolded so perfect for brew stops. All the storage is under the double mattress which you can access by lifting it when it’s unfolded or via a hatch in the back when it’s folded.

I’ve never seen anything even similar to that in the UK but they’re everywhere in Australia.

olddog

I have a feeling that caravans are going to become fashionable with your chattering classes …

molgrips
    Free Member

caravan’s are flawed solutions

It’s a matter of perspective. They are as mobile as a big family tent, but far more comfortable and easier. Not as comfortable as a hotel bathroom wise but I’d far rather spend a day on a caravan site (even if I didn’t go out, which I always do) than spend a day in a hotel.

You can get quick easy tent setups and I have one – I use it when we fly to America. The whole family’s camping gear fits in one duffel. It has its place. But the van is way more comfortable.

You might be able to pitch your tent in 15 mins but you’d also need to set up your seating, beds, lights, cooker, unpack food, and pack it all away when you are finished. This is far more work than caravanning – I know, I’ve done both extensively.

the costs of the van is daft compared to hotel prices

I dunno, mine cost £1,500. A dozen nights in a hotel?

I’ve never seen anything even similar to that in the UK

They were very popular when I was a kid.

ebygomm
    Free Member

This is how long it takes to set up an australian style folding camper[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7R4kEUUkSo[/video]

I’ve seen folding campers in the UK but they’re nothing like the ones above.

andyl
    Free Member

I quite like the idea of a demountable camper on the back of a pickup.

Tempted to get a LR 110 twin cab pickup as a farm vehicle and build a carbon fibre demountable camper for it (got lots of rolls of carbon cloth lying around).

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

^ I’d subscribe to that thread! Get it done!

molgrips
    Free Member

http://www.northstarcampers.co.uk/

Lol though, £19k and it’s a pokey crappy little shoebox. I’d rather camp!

andyl
    Free Member

I was thinking something like this:

(had the idea to do that to a T5 years ago when I acquired all this carbon fibre)

molgrips
    Free Member

Just get a caravan 🙂

andyl
    Free Member

I just can’t do it. I can’t bring myself to tow a caravan!

Anyone got an old Astra?

edit: okay, I could tow one of these:

molgrips
    Free Member

I just can’t do it. I can’t bring myself to tow a caravan!

Lol.. I suggest aversion therapy. A forced caravan holiday, you can borrow mine 🙂

Actually you can hire them – could be worth a try.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

*Mrs. Doyle*- Oh. g’wan—g’wan g’wan– *Mrs. Doyle*

you know you want to!

Perhaps it’s becoming more acceptable to non-believers, can’t believe the lack of flaming on here!!

andyl
    Free Member

Lol.. I suggest aversion therapy. A forced caravan holiday, you can borrow mine

Actually you can hire them – could be worth a try.

I had considered hiring one as the OH wants to go away down to Devon at the end of the month.

Problem is I don’t have my towing license so I can tow up to 750kg or more provided the total weight does not exceed 3500kg and I am within the vehicles max tow weight. One reason for getting the freelander is it’s actually quite light but can tow 2000kg.

Note in option 2 they just state the weight of the vehicle not it’s MAM: https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

Just been making enquiries about getting my test done. I’ve been towing livestock around in our 750kg trailer for a few years and have been towing a 3500kg trailer on a tractor no problem but am expecting to need a bit of tuition as I’ve never had any instruction so it soon adds up. Then I need to do my 7.5T license 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Problem is I don’t have my towing license so I can tow up to 750kg or more provided the total weight does not exceed 3500kg and I am within the vehicles max tow weight.

You have a freelander?

Gross vehicle weight is about 2,000kg so you can tow a van up to 1,500kg on your license. Should be easy to find, you don’t need a towing license.

eskay

molgrips – Member
    Eskay – can you see what the plate says on your car, out of interest?

andyl
    Free Member

You have a freelander?

Gross vehicle weight is about 2,000kg so you can tow a van up to 1,500kg on your license. Should be easy to find, you don’t need a towing license.

yup,

kerb weight is about 1600kg (quite light tbh) and max vehicle weight is about 2080kg (need to check the plate on ours as it’s an auto) and max braked is 2000kg so I should be able to tow up to 1420kg MAM.

Although if you look at the .gov site for post 1997 but pre 2013 it only states that the MAM of the trailer and the actual weight of the vehicle must be below 3500kg so if we know we are under the Freelanders MAM then I could tow more according to what is on the link.

Post 2013 it states that the combined MAMs must be under 3500kg.

Other change is I can drive a 3500kg MAM vehicle with a 750kg MAM trailer but post 2013 can only drive a 2750kg MAM vehicle with a 750kg MAM trailer.

Until I have my trailer test the Freelander was a good choice for towing really. I did want a Discovery TD5 or TDV6 but the extra weights (400-800kg) means I could tow sod all until I get the test done.

what is a typical caravan MAM?

andyl
    Free Member

And from elswehere on the .gov.uk site: You can also tow larger trailers if: – the combined trailer and vehicle weight isn’t more than 3,500kg – the fully-loaded trailer weight isn’t more than the unladen vehicle weight

They do seem quite inconsistent with the way they put across the info.

From that I would also infer that I could tow a 1600kg trailer with the Freelander as the Freelander min weight is 1600kg. Then I would just need to add load to both until I reach the 3500kg combined provided the trailer doesnt exceed the car weight. The last bit wasnt mentioned on the other page but is something I know anyway.

A lot of the trailer instruction places seem to twist the info to their advantage and make it sound like you can’t tow anything.

TheDTs
    Free Member

A lot of the trailer instruction places seem to twist the info to their advantage and make it sound like you can’t tow anything.

That’s true, nearly enrolled 5 blokes on a course, then read through the regs again, and realised he was wrong..

molgrips
    Free Member

what is a typical caravan MAM?

It’s MTPLM (maximum technical permissble laden mass), and that’s about 1000-1200 for older vans and for new ones somewhere between 1300 for a light one and 1500 ish for a heavy single axle. The double axle ones go up to about 1750 or so.

The MIRO (mass in running order ie kerb weight) of caravans is only about 200kg less than the MTPLM for older vans and 150 ish for newer ones, so that’s all the payload you can put in.

eskay – the second number is your gross train weight, so if your kerb weight is only 1500kg you have about 1500kg ish to play with. This is plenty for a van. You will only come into trouble if you fill your car with bricks or rubble or something and then try and tow. A 1200kg van would then be ok as long as you didn’t bring more than 300kg worth of people and gear in/on the car!

Caravan towing ‘guidelines’ for safe and happy towing are MTPLM 85% of the kerb weight of the car, with 100% being acceptable with a modern van and car.

spooky_b329

andyl,

If you are doing a towing test (B+E) and then expect to do a 7.5t (C1) test, just do C1 and then C1+E as it shouldn’t cost much more. Or in fact, C+E as its not really any harder except mastering a bigger gearbox and spatial awareness.

The only advantage of doing B+E and then C1 is when your C1 expires due to age/inability to pass your medical, hopefully you will retain the B+E entitlement.

I did my B+E first as I needed it for personal use and my employer had kept me waiting ages for my C+E.

eskay

molgrips – Member

eskay – the second number is your gross train weight, so if your kerb weight is only 1500kg you have about 1500kg ish to play with. This is plenty for a van. You will only come into trouble if you fill your car with bricks or rubble or something and then try and tow. A 1200kg van would then be ok as long as you didn’t bring more than 300kg worth of people and gear in/on the car!

Thanks molgrips. So the 800kg on the V5 is based on the car being fully loaded.

So, if I ever got pulled in they would use the gross train weight and compare that to the weighbridge reading?

I really have my heart set on getting one for next year. My kids race most weekends over the summer and we rack up a reasonable hotel bill. Being able to take caravan and make a weekend of it instead would be great.

molgrips
    Free Member

So the 800kg on the V5 is based on the car being fully loaded.

No. The 800kg on the V5 is basd on the EU standard pulling away test, which means you can pull away on a 12% slope 5 times in 5 mins or somethign with the car fully loaded (I think).

So, if I ever got pulled in they would use the gross train weight and compare that to the weighbridge reading?

As I understand it, yes, but better check for sure.

dereksloan
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis is the ABI adventurer for sale ? I don’t know how to message you but I would be interested in buying it if it is

mattbee

IF it is, prepare for some serious gazumping….

anagallis_arvensis

Not for sale, we only just bought it…..seems we got it for an amazing price too!

eskay

I regularly cycle past an abi adventurer and I have never seen it move, quite a waste.

norbert-colon

We got one of these after getting fed up with the faff of tent pitching and having had the weather ruin a few trips..

Camplet :-

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t407/norbert-colon/images.jpg%5B/img%5D

All the flexibility of camping, without the stigma and downsides of towing a big van…. pitches really quickly too…

Having said that, despite saying that I’d never lower myself to having a caravan we have now upgraded to that… better protection from the weather and much more comfort means we use it more.

We park it up for the summer in a chosen location so don’t do too much towing.

(That reminds me must put that Camplet up for sale!)

Tiger6791

I bought a Knaus brought it home last week

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 243 total)

The topic ‘I want a Caravan that's not a Caravan!’ is closed to new replies.