Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • I wanna be WARM and wet.
  • greenman
    Free Member

Right I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m never gonna stay dry.
    Wear a windproof and the rain gets through, obviously, wear a waterproof and I have my own private sauna!

So what to wear to keep warm when wet?
    What type of base/mid layer?

Anyone tried Reed’s Chillcheater’s?

njee20
    Free Member

Decent base layer and soft shell jacket.

shortcut

As per njee – softshell is good for pleasantly warm and moist.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Wetsuit?

Baselayer, jersey, softshell/windstopper (what Njee20 said).

The only problem in my experience is that if you give up on keeping your body dry you need to give up on keeping hands dry too as the water will eventually run down your arms and into your gloves! 😉

andyl
    Free Member

Warm and wet? Just wear a wet suit and pee yourself 🙂

glupton1976
    Free Member

Foreplay?

racingsnail
    Free Member

Not used it personally but met lots of people that swear by Buffalo clothing for being really warm while wet.

jameso

Wool.

Buffalo/Montane pertex+pile also, I think it’s great for outdoor use but it can be too warm on a bike, that kind of idea works tho. Natural fibres / insulation+wicking and breathability. I rode 7 hours in the rain + spray on-road last week in 2 merino layers and a windproof (1 thin, 1 med with hi-neck). Was wet but ok. Waterproofs are a waste of £ on a bike imo, but you do need something in reserve to insulate when stationary.

matt_outandabout

Anyone tried Reed’s Chillcheater’s

Colleagues have the stuff, warm when paddling, the top layer stuff makes you look like a Gimp….but I presume you mean their fleece/thermal/thing baselayer? Seems like most other high void/fluffy inside fleeces without the nice cut that Rab/Patagonia/Montane/etc would do..

Gimp:

jameso

^ it would be less scary if he didn’t have a ‘tash.

matt_outandabout

Yeah, but it is movember, so I thought I would stay on message… 😉

andyh2
    Free Member

Paramo Quito works for me. Waterproof, but very breathable and great venting options with full front zip and side vents waist to elbow.

ps44
    Free Member

Reed Chillcheater vest under my drysuit for mid winter windsurfing is the dog’s.
    Biking when it’s cold and wet ? No thanks.

sirteeny
    Free Member

Aah, the wonder of Reed clothing, the best kept secret of North Devon (until now).
    We are full-time MTBers, and pretty much put our Reed tops on in October and take them off again in March.
    We have a wardrobe full of all sorts of warmers kit but these kick the a**e out of anything.

greenman
    Free Member

Which Reed top do you wear through winter?

jameso

Not heard of Reed kit before, interesting materials and prices aren’t high either.
    What works on the bike when it’s wet, the s-s aquatherm tops?

The s-s fleece looks useful. They have an 80gm Pertex smock at £26 too – cut looks a bit ‘roomy’ for bike use but for a bigger chap, a proper bargain.

stratman
    Free Member

I use baa-baa base layer and goretex phantom windstopper top, singletrack trousers. When it’s very wet, I add a paclite shell and if I really have to then paclite overtrousers, but then my socks do get wet as the rain runs into my shoes!

Never suffered from a sauna with this lot

rp16v
    Free Member

I usualy just go with s/s top with armwarmers,a lightweight w&w proof jacket and pack a light gilet for wether changes, 3/4 tights with baggys pack lower leg warmers incase uber chilly.

ton

merino long sleeve base layer
    north face apex soft shell
    warm as toast went wet.

i despise the feeling of waterproofs.

oldgit
    Free Member

4 1/2 hours in freezing torrential rain today reminded me that a proper waterproof has it’s place in a riders wardrobe.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘I wanna be WARM and wet.’ is closed to new replies.