Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • I used to be indecisive…
  • stcolin
    Free Member

…but now I’m not so sure.

I have come to the conclusion that after thinking I needed to upgrade to a full suspension, I don’t need to. I’m running a BeOne Karma XC bike, 100mm forks. Race geo, 71deg head angle etc. It’s a great we bike, climbs like a mountain goat, descends quite well. I don’t do full on dh trails, rock gardens and the like, but I love my flowy fast singletrack, and technical climbs and descents (sometimes steep too 😉 )

But I need something more slack, more travel. So my initial thought was to go straight to a 5/6″ trail/all mountain bike. But do I really need it? Do the trails I ride really need that? The answer is no. I need something strong, more slack, front suspension only, and 140mm ish of travel. Now, the Dilemma.

Cove Stiffee + RS Revs, u-turn, 140mm adjustable
    Cove Handjob + RS Revs, u-turn, 140mm adjustable
    SC Cameleon + RS Revs, u-turn, 140mm adjustable.

Or maybe Fox forks instead with the above frame. I’ve never ran Fox forks before.

Does what I’m saying make sense?

haddock
    Free Member

Can the handjob take 140mm forks?

BigJohn

I’ve got a Cotic soul with 130mm Magura Menjas.

It rides like an XC bike through the singletrack, because the steering’s “quite” sharp but hacks down rock garden descents like the Beast and Cavedale in the Peak and Garburn in the Lakes like a goodun. In fact it is so accomplished on the rocky stuff, it almost makes me wish I’d got less travel for more of a challenge.

And it’s fine for all-day rides, unlike some of those you mention perhaps.

stcolin
    Free Member

Yes, think the Handjob is 130mm max, hence I specified u-turn forks.

You can always wind the forks down for longer rides.

BigJohn

Its the ferocious beating that a couple of those frames are reputed to give you that prevent them from being good all-dayers, not the fork length.

haddock
    Free Member

There all nice frames, I run a short travel xc full susser, and two long travel hard tails, the full susser is my least favourite – it does its long day arse in the saddle job great, but the hardtails are far more fun and nicer to ride. IMO your doing right going for a H tail, and in 4 years time your bike wont have been ‘marketed out of date’ like a full susser will. 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

I was in the same boat as you when I got my Handjob, but I think people get the impression that they are more “hardcore” bikes than they really are.

Had an Anthem, but wanted something different (and made out of steel), saw a deal on a HJ frame. It’s a great bike, runs good at 130mm, but better at 120mm IMO.

But now I’ve swapped the Anthem for a Trance and got a Reign too – the HJ has actually become my most XC bike.

If I were keeping a short travel full-susser, I’ve be looking at something more like a Dialled Bikes Prince Albert or one of the many longish-forked alu hardtails (Stiffee, Rocky Ridge, Crush etc).

You might even want to take a punt on one of them new Brant bikes.

glenp
    Free Member

Don’t see why you want something slacker? Bit of a silly fad started by the mags if you ask me – nothing wrong with a bike that steers, esp if you aren’t doing super steep “dh” riding and love your singletrack.

Whatever you choose tho, do try before you buy.

mikey74
    Free Member

Don’t see why you want something slacker? Bit of a silly fad started by the mags if you ask me

I totally disagree: A slacker head angle has many advantages, including making the bike more stable at speed; putting your weight further back for steep descents; makes it easier to loft the front up and manual over obstacles etc. In my experience, as long as you go for no slacker than a 67 degree head angle, it doesn’t really affect the steering much, although this would obviously depend on the bike.

I feel so much better on my bike since I changed from a bike with a 69 degree HA to one with a 67 HA, with little or no climbing or steering penalties. All IMO of course.

stcolin
    Free Member

Thanks for the input folks. I have been readin reviews all day about the bone shattering rides these bikes give, but they’re huge fun and ride really well down through the technical stuff.

Also looking at the Meta 553, as the all day, more comfortable alternative.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘I used to be indecisive…’ is closed to new replies.