Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I think I could cry..another ripped sidewall
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

After not having a puncture for the preceeding 10 months, I finally managed to put a hole in the sidewall of a brand new tyre on a ride on wednesday night..Never mind, lesson learned about fragile lightweight tyres and the 5 mile walk home wasn’t all that bad.

Out again today, and somehow managed to rip the tyre (different type) right off the rim, again a massive hole in the sidewall but this time also managed to put a fLat spot in my 3 ride old stans rim 🙁

All in all an expensive 48 hrs equipment wise. Anyways, to the point of the post how easy is it to straighten out a rim wall with pliers, best left to the professionals or not recommended? Its not all that bad, but because the rim is so shallow the small dent looks significant. Would post a pic, but no idea how to do it on here!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Two conti gp4000s’s in as many months. Not a happy bunny.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Be careful as you can crack the rim. If the tire holds air I’d leave it.

spooky_b329

If the tyre still seals, leave the dent in the rim. Gives it character. I assume it is just a dent, and you haven’t actually got a flat spot in the wheel.

jonke
    Free Member

which tyres? i’ll make a point of not buying some.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Tyre can be inflated with a tube fine, not tried them tubeless which is how I’d intend to run them.

My concern is the rim wall is really shallow already so i’m concerned the tyre could fairly easily roll off. No idea how likely that is, but it does give me cause for concern!

tpbiker
    Free Member

oh..first tyre was a specialized sworks with no more than 15 miles on it…i’ve subsequently been told they are made of cheese. Second one was a crossmark, which has served me well in the past..no idea why it popped off, probably hadn’t seated it properly to be fair

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Which stans rim is it? The reason I ask is that the other week I bought a pair of wheels with Crest rims & they look so shallow I think I’d struggle to get a tube in them!

scaredypants

proper UST tyres ?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If a tire holds with a tube, won’t it do so tubeless?

oldgit
    Free Member

Out of interest what makes a useful tyre boot? I’m doing an on/off road thingy this Sunday and my road tyres are pretty thin.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

toothpaste tube works for me oldgit

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I find LUST crossmarks to be pretty tough.. Rear tyre of choice when it’s not sloppy mud. It’s fine to stitch/patch them up anyway.

I always carry an opened up old toothpaste tube. It’s worth cutting the corners round.. they can be sharp enough to poke a hole in the tube.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I always inflate my LUST tyres to 40psi and leave overnight. You can hear them seat at that pressure. Then deflate, I run 20psi up front Ardents, Crosdmax and HR all stay on fine. I use sealant to.

tacopowell
    Free Member

I’m running crests with Bontrager XR4’s, I ordered the non-tubeless ones but got sent the tubeless ready ones by mistake, I took this as an omen and went tubeless,
    That was a month ago and after many rides around Nant Yr Arain, Not only really chuffed with the lack of any problems (Touch wood!) I’m also firm in the knowledge that I’ll never go back to tubes!
    Handles so nice, lighter and I’m confident in them! My riding has improved too!

As far as your rim, get down to you LBS and get them to verify the damage.

Go Tubeless with some tubeless tyres that will have stronger sidewalls!

hobbitfeet
    Free Member

Having gone through a phase last summer of three tires in three weeks I can feel for you!

Have not had a puncture since though…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I think I could cry..another ripped sidewall’ is closed to new replies.