Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I spilt something on my laptop
  • bearnecessities

I guess…because about half of the keys have stopped working. No discernible pattern and it’s quite likely some cooking has splattered it.

I commenced following instructions to disassemble and stopped after being surrounded by a gazillion parts and still nowhere near reaching the keyboard.

Apart from plugging in an eternal keyboard, is there anything else I can do?

I’ve only had it about 18months 🙁

honeybadgerx

I guess it wasn’t an eternal keyboard fitted in the laptop then? Try and be a bit more careful with your burger paste next time…

geoffj

Switch off, rinse with distilled water leave to dry in airing cupboard for a few days.

jambalaya
    Free Member

External keyboard and make a full backup or at least get off important files. I assume you have a desktop at work or a mate who can lend you a keyboard. I hope you can put the machine back together and get it booted, you shouod have made the backup before you took it apart 😉

Personally I would not do the wash it out thing. Take it to a repair shop and get a quote for a new keyboard – it’s probably not worth repairing though. New machine or use it with an external keyboard – you can probably get a wireless one.

I killed my Apple wireless keyboard trying to clean it with Cillit Bang ( doh ! ) despite tinkering with it it never worked properly again.

jekkyl

you’ve got accidental damage cover with a low excess on your home insurance haven’t you?

Cougar

I’ve had exactly 0% success in repairing liquid-ingressed laptop keyboards. You might get lucky but it almost certainly needs replacing IME.

How difficult that is is wholly dependent on the make / model. On my work Lenovo it’s one screw to open the maintenance hatch where the SODIMM slots are, then a second screw inside that to release the keyboard. I’ve worked on others where it’s a full teardown.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Can you not just gently pry off an offending key, give it a clean out underneath and see if that fixes it?

Will at least tell you if it is just cleaning that is needed or a new keyboard.

Cougar

What is it incidentally, got a link to those instructions?

bearnecessities

I have put it back together!

It’s also not worth claiming on insurance.

Any other slightly different version of the same model, and it’s a piece of piss. Mine? Oh, no.

Acer Aspire V5-573G Disassembly

Cougar

Jesus wept! I see your point, that’s madness.

z1ppy

Wow, just buy an external keyboard 😯

jambalaya
    Free Member

@torso I tried that with my apple keyboard but I think the damage was done internaly or perhaps something that a bit of a wipe couldn’t fix. At least it was only a £60 lesson. I can confirm Cilit Bang restores an Apple keyboard to whiteness, just be careful to use it sparingly 😳

OP I suppose they build it keyboard first so a replace is everything out keyboard last 🙁

Plastic keyboard cover (used to use those on boat to keep spashes off) or tablet for kitchen use, that or print off receipe 😉

fasthaggis

bear,was it melted icing from those mince pies? 😉 😛

enfht
    Free Member

A posh w*nk would’ve avoided the problem in the first place.

slowoldman

some cooking has splattered it.

Of course it has.

maccruiskeen

it’s a piece of piss.

That’ll definitely knacker it

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I spilt something on my laptop’ is closed to new replies.