Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)
  • What type of althete/sportsperson is the "fittest"?
  • ds3000
    Free Member

Had a debate at the dinner table yesterday. Not a scientific discussion by any means, but we were tying to work out who, overall has the best strength, endurance, ratio. Then there’s the psychological side, to be able to perform under intense pressure for long periods of time. Lots of variables I know, but it was an interesting discussion.

I thought boxer, my Dad’s choice was triathlete. Other suggestions were, Tennis player, MTBer, Swimmer.

Would be interested to know STW’s thoughts on the matter.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Gymnast

Biathlon

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Climber?

kcal

Judo – though that tends to be a lot of power and relatively short bursts. Going by Superstars though.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Jacks

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I read *somewhere* that cross country skiing was just about the hardest competative sport, stick a gun on your back & I’d say biathletes must be up there.

slowoldman

Climber?

Nah. Road cyclist or cross country skier.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Oddly, F1 drivers are incredibly fit.

skids
    Free Member

runners, triathletes

theotherjonv

MTBers. Middle aged fat ones.

If I was the same weight as Froome I’m murder him up hills, it’s just the timber. Honest.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

American football wide receiver or running back.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Gymnasts for body development and strength/power to weight

Cross country skiers or cyclists for endurance stuff

Weight lifters for sheer power

Boxers fighters martial artists for overall “superstar” type fitness- ie good power good stamina good muscle development etc

ac282

400m runner.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Rowers must be in contention as well.

ds3000
    Free Member

Junkyard – that’s the type of thing we had in mind.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Polevaulter

maccruiskeen

Mud wrestlers

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Middle aged weekend cyclist on a Santa Cruz?

mushrooms
    Free Member

It’s fittest not fattest howsyourdad1

Mountain runner for lower body at least.

grey

Biathlon.

sambob
    Free Member

MX/supercross riders must be well up there too

thecaptain
    Free Member

Probably all competitive fitness/power sports are pretty much equivalent, the participants will train to optimise the particular balance of endurance/power/speed/whatever for that sport, and get very close to the limits of (current) human ability. Eg rowers produce a huge amount of power for 6 mins, sprinters for 10 secs, cyclists for an hour or more at a time. Not much point trying to claim one is “fitter” than the other, any more than you would call a mathematician “cleverer” than a historian (or vice versa).

twonks

Most top level sports that require the participants to be physically fit will produce athletes that are in the top percentage of the poulation.

As long as the sport concerned doesn’t require specific areas of fitness then it is probably down to what technology and performance tools are available to define the body down to the nth degree.

And that requires pennies – lots of them, so I reckon F1 drivers are a good shout for the fittest overall sportsperson (Taking body composition and all round strength physically and mentally)

When they enter other endurance based sports they generally do quite well.

Given the choice though, I’d much prefer the body of a male gymnast over a racing driver. 😉

alanl
    Free Member

Boxing, by a long way.
    Then, top level road cycling.

pomona
    Free Member

Ballet dancer.

nickc

I think it’s daft to try to compare sports, or you end up with the nonsense that’s triathlon or MMA.

I think to compete at any recognisable level at any sport you need to be pretty bloody good.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Female beach volleyball players all seem pretty fit

Jossie

Darts or snooker player obvs

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Aren’t F1 drivers super fit too? Or am I making that up?

Rich_s

ISTR back in the 90’s that motocross enduro type dudes were the fittest when measured against other sports.

The guys who do Paris Dakar on bikes must be pretty nails if you think about it – 8-9 hours per day isn’t it?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Depends how you measure fitness.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Well James Tosesland smoked the others in last man standing.
    WSB world champion and mentally and physically super fit.

Caher

i seem to remember that rugby players did pretty well at superstars too, but depends how fitness is measured. Daley Thompson had explosive fitness but hated the 1500 meters.

chvck
    Free Member

I have no idea but I watched a documentary on the cross fit world championships (had no idea there was such a thing beforehand) and they seem rather fit!

fifeandy
    Free Member

Kinda hard to define ‘fittest’ but for me it needs a prolonged endurance component, and both upper and lower body components.
    That pretty much narrows it down to XC skiers and rugby players. The skiers get my vote.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Top squash players – there was a study a few years ago & they consistently came out near the top.

Can’t remember what the basis or parameters were however.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Footballers must be up there

singlespeedstu

Got to be darts or snooker players.
    They go at it for hours.

blakec
    Free Member

F1 drivers more so if you include mental fitness as well as physical. Operating a laptop, driving a car at high speed while under large g forces.

jimmy

Oddly, F1 drivers are incredibly fit.

I went go karting once, my whole core was in tatters for a few days after from the cornering forces. 60+ laps at their speeds needs some amount of fitness.

jam-bo

Laird.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 128 total)

The topic ‘What type of althete/sportsperson is the "fittest"?’ is closed to new replies.