Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • I now it's been asked before but, Shimano MW80 or Northwave Celsius BTX
  • Vortexracing

Just wondering what one to go for.

Tried both and both seem to fit OK.

Already have some Shimano W101's but they are a bit small so looking to replace them.

are they both as good as each other?

opinions please

Ta

Dave

z1ppy

I found the NW Celsius not especially warm, currently use MT90 which are loads better warmth wise, so would/will go for the MW80's are some point.

M8's has them, and has nothing but good things to say about them, as he's suffered from chill toes before buying them.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Cant comment on warmth / waterproof ness etc , as ive just had 2 pairs of northwave delivered in a 43 and 44 to see which was the best size wise( normally a 43) only to find i couldnt get the 43 on my foot and the 44 fits but its too tight for comfort ….
    in the process of sending them both back to wiggle … was gonna order the 45s but they have no stock
    Shame really as i only paid £85 for them ….. looks like ill have to pay £120 for the mw80`s now 😥

Vortexracing

if you wait for 2 weeks wiggle will have them back in stock.

If you use the voucher before 12 midnight tonight you can get the MW80's for £90.

hence why i'm trying to get some opinions urgently ❓

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Chucky (aka Vortex Racing) – Member
    if you wait for 2 weeks wiggle will have them back in stock.

If you use the voucher before 12 midnight tonight you can get the MW80's for £90.

hence why i'm trying to get some opinions urgently

Wish i could , but cant really afford it until ive had the £170 back from wiggle …… xmas prezzies still to get etc !
    any idea on sizing of the mw 80s ? … should i go 1 size bigger or 2 ?

robgarrioch

Can only say I went 1 size up for MW80s, & they fit fine. Quality seems good too, just haven't had a chance to try mine out yet..
    If you miss the deadline, ProBikeKit have them – enter 'XMAS' in discount code for 10% off till hogmanay.

Vortexracing

I have the W101's in 43.

I tried the 44 in both the Shimano and Northwave and they semed to fit ok.

Not massive by any stretch of the imagination, in fact they 'just' fitted on the side of my feet, with mid weight sealskins.

I never thought of trying a 45, I just assumed they would be like barges on my feet.

Got me thinking now, should i have tried a 45?

The shimano and northwave fit the same IMHO. I would consider going up 2 sizes

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

WMB reviewed both your options in this months mag. In case you havent seen it I'll try and do a v quick paraphrase. Excuse the spelling.

NW – zip+laces, medium insulation, great price, stiff upper means its not right for everyone. Cabon sole at performance end, screw in toe studs, slightly slippy hard compund thread, decend wading performance, no separate top sealing and some testers found stiff upper unconfortable around ankles. 3.5 stars.

Shimano-Velcro straps, medium insulation, leapt up in price, still reckon toughness and thermal comfort make best value all round winter boot. Sole not as toothty as some, medium compound grippy. Open design means no clogging. Solid feeling not penguin still for walking. Big roomy insulated offers unhindered circulation. Paddle proof. Tall neoprprene collar helps stop drip seepage. Can be a squeeze to get on. No studs. Makes a great misery beating cold weather investment. 4 stars.

btw Lake MXZ302 was the overall winner.

Vortexracing

cheers for that

couldashouldawoulda.

looks like the Shimano may get my money

Frankers
    Free Member

I've been using the Northwave boots for around 4-5 years and have been pretty happy with them, I do still suffer with cold toes when it gets really cold and have to also wear overshoes .

Last week I ordered some new Shimano MW80 and Northwave GTX to check which ones i prefered the look and feel of after seeing the WMB review.

The GTX boots have changed a bit in the design with the main difference being the lace is now pull to tighten rather than tie-up, the design of the front has changes a lttle too. The fit of both seemed pretty good but I prefer the stying and velcro fastening of the MW80's, also the velcro cuff on the MW80 is much better than the GTX which is very open to allow water to run down into them.

Anyway decided to keep the MW80's and return the GTX, 1st ride was on Friday and they seem pretty good but future wet/cold rides should give me a better idea of long term performance.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘I now it's been asked before but, Shimano MW80 or Northwave Celsius BTX’ is closed to new replies.