Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • I never thought I'd ask this, but….
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

…what tyre for, autumn?

A week of rain, and I’m giving up on the possibilty of the spring’s dry trails returning. Ah well. Which means my Panaracer Rampages are to be put away until next year as they’re useless in the muck. The mud’s not deep enough for the Trailrakers yet (nearly), so I need an in-betweener tyre, that ideally will cope with wet rocks (Lakes) and roots (local woods) yet won’t be too draggy.
    I like the classic Panaracer Cinder, and I like the look of the new Panaracer CG AS AM (can you tell I like Panaracer tyres?). Also like the look of the Conti Baron. BUT, I don’t really want to be spending anything like £40/tyre. Half that ideally.

So, what’s good?

PS still old-fashioned and using inner-tubes.

mchlptchr
    Free Member

I never thought i’d be giving you ‘advice’ on tyres, but…

If you like Panaracer, and you like Cinders, then Fire XC Pros seem like the obvious choice as they’re similar but tend to dig in a little better in my experience.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I like XC Pros too, I have a pair but I just donated them to my missus bike. I prefer the slightly bigger Cinders for my “normal” riding, but they are a little draggy…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Hmm.. anyone any experience of the Panaracer Fire FR?

Trekster

Currently used as a chainstay protector 💡 having slashed the sidewall after riding barely a mile after purchasing it 🙁
    Could not bring myself to chuck so recycling seemed best option.
    Maxxis Advantage for me.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

hmmm. Advantage looks good. What compound?

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been really impressed by these…

Kenda El Moco

2.10 DTC on rear and 2.35 stick-e on front – pretty good in the summer slop anyway – feels a bit like a faster-rolling, better-clearing High Roller.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Any more from anyone?

barrykellett
    Free Member

I’ve used rampages all year round in the past. It sounds like you are expecting too much of your rubber

Rickos
    Free Member

Specialized seem to have got back in the game for tyres with some good looking stuff. Worth a gander. Good value too. I like the look of their Eskar as a front.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve used rampages all year round in the past. It sounds like you are expecting too much of your rubber

I could use Rampages all year round, but I know from experience they’re not so good in sloppy mud, or snow, and other tyres are better in those conditions.
    But, Rampages are brilliant on dry rock (ie Lake District in early summer, unfortunatly not where I ride all the time)

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Maxxix advantage or ignitors.

Trekster

Use Advantage all year round

scotabroad in this pic uses Ignitors and Geax Sugaro. I was using some Loco Lobos for a while

harrymunro
    Free Member

I can second the fire XC pros. Used them exclusively for about 4 years and they worked well in knarlyness. Apparently quite good value too.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Used Fire XC Pros quite a bit, but prefer a bigger volume.

stumpy01

Specialized Purgatory 2.2 on the front & Captain (2.0) on the back seems suited to a pretty varied range of conditions.
    Only issue is they don’t clear briliantly, so can clag up a bit if it’s sticky/clay type mud you normally ride in.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Ok, I grant in proper muddy slop a proper mud tire is warranted! I’m pretty lucky to ride well drained trails so they just get greasy and slippy with muddy bits but not a complete all out mud fest

Clobber
    Free Member

What about the £14.99 schwalbe rocket rons at on-one?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Nah. Rocket Rons don’t look grr enough to cope with rocks and roots and mud of the local trails.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Nobby nics all year round here 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“Hmm.. anyone any experience of the Panaracer Fire FR?”

Huge and knobbly.

I use ADv’s all year.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘I never thought I'd ask this, but….’ is closed to new replies.