Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • I need a vice!
  • JHannibalSmith
    Free Member

Looking for a vice for my new work shop (all puns gratefully received).

I quite fancy one of these general purpose ones but pretty big at 16kg.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

b1galus
    Free Member

coke and hookers .

nickjb
    Free Member

The one in the link looks a bit faffy. Might be useful but I’d rather have a simple one. Look for a good second hand one. Ebay or junk shops

finishthat
    Free Member

Cheaper here http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-vices-mechanic-s-multi-purpose-bench-vice-505555

Its not a big vice and actually a very light vice for its jaw size.

For light work it would be a versatile workholder , but if you abuse it – really tighten things offset in the jaws or whack it with a heavy hammer it might well crack.

A secondhand older Record, Woden , or if you are lucky Swindens would be worth seeking out for a local pickup from Gumtree or Ebay and will be available cheaply .

welshfarmer

There is ONLY 1 vice worth getting, Period. If you can find one second hand for about £100 notes in good nick then bite the sellers hand off. I talk of course about the Record 36. The king of vices. The only vice you will ever need 🙂

Just don’t expect to buy a new one for sensible money

http://www.knighton-tools.co.uk/acatalog/Mechanics_Vice_Quick_Release_Record.html

bencooper
    Free Member

Swindens are the best vices – if you can find them second-hand, they’re silly money new. Or a Wilton, but only an original Chicago one.

But don’t buy a new vice anyway, vices should be old and battered.

finishthat
    Free Member

Yeah , I have a Chicago early 4.5″ Wilton – very rare in the uk – missed out on the 99p Swindens last year though …, York are worth finding too .

schmiken

Smoking is a very accessible vice. Expensive though.

Harris
    Free Member
    mrsfry
    Free Member

Wish the OP made the title more clearer 🙁

I was so excited i placed a order on Amazon for some equipment
    (I don’t think these items are allowed to be returned 😳 )

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve had one of these for the past 33 years, the place I was working at was closing down.
    It could do with some new jaws really, but they’re nearly £100 a set.

CountZero

A Record is easily as good as any other make out there, and arguably far easier to find than uncommon imported vices.
    I’ve got a Record No4 I picked up from eBay, which I’ve cleaned all the crap off of and repainted with blue Hammerite; it looks really good now, dead chuffed with it.
    Scroll down to near the bottom…

mcmoontertrackworld……. Vices

redstripe
    Free Member

Another thread on this subject here:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/i-need-a-new-vice-where-from

I ended up with a Record No.23 quick release big meaty one off gumtree for £100, been great, no problems at all

simonbowns
    Free Member
    woffle
    Free Member

check your local tip.

I found this Record No. 22 at ours. Was in a state but spent a couple of hours with wire wool before knocking up a mount out of some scaffold offcut and some spare bonnet clips so I can bench mount it if needs be. I have a cheapy Amazon carpenters vice mounted to the workbench so handy to have one that’s ‘mobile’. It weighs a ton so doesn’t move about.

All for a couple of ££

GrahamS

Yep definitely check local selling on Facebook, eBay, gumtree and the like.

I got this for nowt from our neighbour’s garage when he moved out last month. It’s already been very useful.

johndoh
    Free Member

I got mine from a Freecycle group assuming it might come in handy occasionally. I have used it many, many times already including today when I had to bend straight a key my wife wholeheartedly refuses to admit to bending despite it working perfectly until she rushed out this morning and (miraculously) when she got home it wouldn’t fit…

bencooper
    Free Member

A Record is easily as good as any other make out there, and arguably far easier to find than uncommon imported vices

Tsk, that’s not the STW attitude – we must all prove our superiority by having more obscure and retro vices than anyone else.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘I need a vice!’ is closed to new replies.