Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • I need a new watch. Suggestions please.
  • ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

MTT has a second mail…..

Cullen
    Free Member

IWC are nice if you've the funds…

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Nice shout MTT. The Stowa looks like a good call when my old Seamaster gets replaced.

Chatsworth – maybe a bit garish for you but I've got an Oakley Icon watch that's used and abused everyday. I love it. Not missed a beat for years now. I've got narrow wrists so it suits me fine, maybe the Timebomb is better for wider wrists but that does brder on garish.

Probably too expensive but I loke the look of the Omega Railmaster.

cpon
    Free Member

alpin – Member
    skiboy – Member
    get a rolex,
    ………….. keeps the most amazing time,

WTF… how can you tell?

i think it's crazy how much people spend on watches. rather than being a functional item they've become yet another penis extension show of wealth much like a car.

and does anyone ever use the extra dials on the chronograph watches?

A Rolex doesn't keep time any better than any other high end C.O.S.C Certified Swiss watch (C.O.S.C has to be within -4/+6 seconds over 24 hours) – Most Rolex models are C.O.S.C Certified so they keep time with those parameters, but it's certainly not amazing accuracy. Most cheaper quartz watches will keep run between 4/+6 seconds over a month! So if you're looking for an amazingly accurate watch Automatic isn't the way to go.

On the other hand if you want something nice, that'll never go out of style and can pass on to your kids, and you don't run your daily schedule to the nearest second a high end Swiss watch will do just fine.

And yes, I've spent a lot on watches, they haven't extended my knob and I have on occasion used the chorongraph feature. Some might say spending a fortune on bike is ridiculous too but I find it's better not to worry about what other think get what you like.

C

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

I've got thick wrists, but the Timebomb is not for me. I've looked at the Railmaster, but they are deffo too much. Just waiting for replies to a couple of mails, but it looks like I'll be spending more(much more) than my original budget.

alpin
    Free Member

it's funny isn't it? taste.

ChatsworthMusters – Member
    Very nice alpin, but IMHO it looks a bit naff. I wear better than that for work, and it gets battered

not slagging off anyones choice so no need to slagg off mine.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Thank you alpin. Your post has been reported. We are all entitled to our opinions. Yours doesn't fit in with this discussion, so what are you trying to prove?

chipps

Second vote for Mondaine – less than £150, very easy to read without glasses and mine is oft admired.

PePPeR

I'll fourth the Tissot, I have a touch and its lovely, but for work I have a Pulsar Titanium with solar power. its light very tough and has been on my wrist for 7 years without fail. Pulsar are Seikos cheaper brand if I remember correctly.

The other watches that I like and have two of for dress are Citizen Eco Drive, the new ones are adjusted automatically by radio signal and have solar power so never need batteries.

Not as pimp as some of the other brands, but nice and reliable.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Stowa is a good suggestion

At around £700 I'd also look at Steinhart.

Nav B Chrono

Or the new vintage diver

MTT
    Free Member

matthewjb – I'll admit, i like the look of the Steinhart's and the price even more so, but they are shameless aren't they?;

IWC – Pilots Crono

Sub

matthewjb
    Free Member

i like the look of the Steinhart's and the price even more so, but they are shameless aren't they?;

The dive watches are certainly a bit too much of an imitation for me.

But I like the pilot watches. Sure they look like other pilot watches but that's at least partly because the pilot watch is a standard design. I prefer the Nav-B Chrono to that IWC you showed.

If you're bothered by what other people think then I'd go for an Omega. You should be able to get a Seamaster for the sort of price you are asking. Better value than a Rolex. You'd be surprised how cheap the bracelet of a Submariner feels.

TZ-UK is a good place for second-hand watches.

Hanging around on TZ-UK will also show you lots of less well known brands.

This cost be less than £500 (again second hand)

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Thanks guys, most helpful and very informative. Looks like I'll be spending more than I originally thought. It seems to be a choice between MTT's Speedmaster, and one from the links you've sent. Will sleep on it tonight. Might have to put the wife on the streets to pay for it!!!

CountZero

Bell & Ross are worth looking at, too. Lovely clear analogue dials, automatic movements, very tough. They also do stealthy Phantom models, one that's all white, another totally black, but both glow green in the dark. My watch of choice, if I could afford one.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I've a Seiko Flightmaster GMT: Kinetic so accurate but battery life not an issue. Looks good too. I got it for £450. Also recomment Citizen eco-drive too. For VFM, touchnes etc, I've got a G-Shock Solar. Got it for about $50 when the rate was good.

However for the £700 mark look at Hamilton Watches. V nice for the money.

Oris make good, honest watches for good money.

There IS a lot of Hype surrounding Rolex, however you won't lose money by wearing one.

Omega have some good movements in use at the moment; the Planet Ocean looks stunning.

Woody
    Free Member

As an alternative and well within your budget the new PRS-3 became available yesterday in limited edition of 50 of each colour. Not sure how many, if any, will be left ! Click for Timefactors

aviemoron
    Free Member

I bought a Breitling 20 odd years ago for about £700, it's now worth a lot more, I wear it everyday unless I'm proper grafting or mtb'ing. For cycling/running/fitness I wear a Suunto and for dirty stuff I wear a Gshock, but I still don't like digi displays and might just get a "squaddie" G10! Basically it's horses for courses, but I would like a Bell & Ross. For you my son, how about a nice little Sinn….

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘I need a new watch. Suggestions please.’ is closed to new replies.