Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • I need a new watch.
  • Taylorplayer
    Free Member

Tough enough for wearing on the bike, getting dropped, everyday wear. Not too bulky. Alarm and a light would be nice, with a clean uncluttered face. While an Omega would be nice, up to Seiko price is more realistic (but it doesn't have to be that much).

What do the wise recommend?

birdo
    Free Member

you cant really go wrong with a Seiko . the skx007 is a real favorite for some which means it would hold it`s value should you decide you dont like it. do you want an analogue or digital face ? g shock might be worth a look.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Rolex in town.
    G-Shock in the hills.
    😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mandog

i use the clock on my phone. no need for a watch. it has an alarm too and a light.

and i can make calls on it also.

GJP
    Free Member

mandog – Member
    i use the clock on my phone. no need for a watch. it has an alarm too and a light.

and i can make calls on it also.

This also what I have done for the last couple of years – but now finding it frustrating having to carry my phone with me around from one meeting to the next in the office.

Fine outside work – but now also looking for a nice but not too expensive watch

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

Casio G-Shock are worth a look.Very happy with mine. I've got an Omega for non riding/work.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My current take is inherited vintage in town (With some amazing provenance as well!) and G-Shock in the hills and on the oceans.

My Omega is in a drawer somewhere. Haven't worn it in an age.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I use a Casio Pro-Trek for home and hills. It's a good looking multi-function masterpiece that never needs a battery.

http://www.casio.co.uk/Products/Watches/CASIO%20Sport/pro%20trek/PRG-60T-7AVER/At_a_Glance/

badnewz
    Free Member

I guess the time, I'm usually two minutes fast, so I just subtract two minutes.

badblood
    Free Member

Omega in town/daily wear and G-shock for on the bike duties/DIY etc

pitduck
    Free Member

i`ve got new shoes. 😯

gonetothehills
    Free Member

If you want something pricey but haven't got the dosh, don't forget that your Tesco clubcard vouchers are worth 4x in Goldsmiths – so you'll get something for a lot, lot less if you do it that way… BTW – I'm very happy with my Seiko (it keeps the time about as well as the clock on my mobile phone too…) 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Omega Seamaster every day.

G-Shock or Sekonda Xpose for mountain biking, whichever is found first.

fubar
    Free Member

Citizen Eco-Drive watches are great…I'm on my second but only because I'd scratched the first a bit over the years…they have been totally reliable (and no batteries)

the_lecht_rocks

buy g-shock.
    fwiw i own Omega.
    G-Shock are just so good for the money. i get my casio from ebay. i-york watches.

hth

mikertroid
    Free Member

For all uses I alternate between: G-Shock (Possibly the best watch ever!) Citizen Ecodrive Tough or Seiko Flightmaster GMT

However I'm going to get a GMT Master II or Submariner for my next 'significant' birthday.

backhander
    Free Member

miker, wanna sell the tough?

robob
    Free Member

cwc g10.

good enough for the army, so can take a few knocks. looks smart enough for the office as well.

igm

looking for a nice but not too expensive watch

That'll be a Rotary then – Rotary Elite if you prefer. Swiss(ish), understated, decent quality and cheap enough if you look around that you'll be happy to take it on the bike.

I managed to pisk up a 2 atmosphere, heavy stainless steel one with the hidden closure for £85 (down from £170 I think). It needed a new battery – £20 including reseal and pressure test. Absolutely fine on the bike – tough as old boots – and fine in meetings with the directors too.

By the way never go for a better watch than the MD if you regularly go to meetings with him. If you're a consultant, don't look sharper than the senior client.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

G – Shock as general issue and Omega for dress uniform.

CountZero

Second (sorry) the cwc G10. No alarm, but permanent illumination via Tracer markers. Mine keeps much better time than my old Series 1000 TAG.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i have an old £5 casio, it works when im at work and even when i am on my bike. still going strong after years of service..

By the way never go for a better watch than the MD if you regularly go to meetings with him. If you're a consultant, don't look sharper than the senior client

who gives a flying f*** what watch you wear, seriously please tell me you dont actually believe what you just wrote then 😯

Suggsey
    Free Member

Seiko Kinetic for general day to day including the commute but for any rufty tufty stuff or sub zero G shock every time. If you do real cold/extreme or saphire glass smashing/scratching stuff get a G shock. Nothing more distressing than looking down to see a cracked glass and a non working watch. G shocks also now come in stainless in a number of versions but more importantly Mudman- shrugs the mud off saves having to bath with it on post ride. I think they also now do solar drive version if you feel all eco over batteries (the normal ones have 5yr batteries minimum some are 10yr)

igm

Given the directors and MDs I've had over the years, yes I do. The current guy maybe not, but then I have know him for years and he keeps promoting me. Overall though they have a habit of just liking to show they are that little bit further up the tree than you, by being able to afford more expensive stuff.

Should it be the case – no. Is it? Are people surprisingly petty, particularly highly ambitious types? Well, maybe you meet better people than me.

mikertroid
    Free Member

backhander:

'fraid not-it's such a great watch and as I guess you're finding, pretty hard to get too.

Same with my Seiko; just can't get them now.

loddrik
    Free Member

I'd go for a Suunto, had an x-lander until recently, I feel I will get another before long…

Also got a Bell & Ross BR01 and a Sinn U1, the Sinn is as tough a non gshockish watch as you will find!

backhander
    Free Member

Mike, they are a beautiful bit of kit, but do you really need 2 watches? DO YOU?. I fully recommend the Citizens the ecodrive is great (no wind up/batts/shaking). Mine never misses a beat.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Backhander-like your style!!

Got plenty more but my Eco-drive has been flawless. Ecodrive far better than my Seiko Kinetic, but the Seiko has a beauty to it that the Tough can't match.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I wear one of these Swatchs for riding. Not as resilient as a G-Shock though. But I prefer the look.

For work I wear my JLC.

CountZero

I'd go for a Suunto, had an x-lander until recently, I feel I will get another before long…
    Also got a Bell & Ross BR01 and a Sinn U1, the Sinn is as tough a non gshockish watch as you will find!

Ahhh, Bell & Ross, was looking at those in a shop in Bath this afternoon. Exactly what I'd buy if I had the money. The large IWC Pilot's Watch nearby was nice, but the £16500 price tag a little offputting… 😯

Northwind

This thread reminded me I need a new watch. Bought myself a Casio F91W :mrgreen: Classy…

rs
    Free Member

expensive watches, bought by the rich (fair enough) or those that want people to think they are 🙄

loddrik
    Free Member

Sweeping statements, made by people who generally have no idea what they are talking about….

pitduck
    Free Member

their blue 😆

grantway
    Free Member

I have a TAG Kirium chronograph
    tough as old boots
    Take a look at there Formula One range was my first watch

LOL Northwind is that a by-product of something decent 😉

woffle
    Free Member

another pro-Trek fan here – thus far it seems pretty bombproof…

bukkakehairdo
    Free Member

Ha ha! northwinds kids get free school meals! northwinds kids get free school meals! northwinds kids get free school meals! 😆

aviemoron
    Free Member

loddrick – Sinn and a Bell & Ross, jings! I thought I was doing well with a Brietling and a Suunto! But for grubby work in the woods it's a G10.

hora
    Free Member

Anything Casio. Anything else is TOO expensive to risk.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘I need a new watch.’ is closed to new replies.