Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • I NEED A JOB!
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

Hell it's worth a try!

Currently a draughtsman (CAD Tech) with 12 years experience in building services, electrical, roads and the water industries.
    Just finishing 3rd year at uni on my civil engineering degree course.
    Based just outside Glasgow.

Staring redundancy in the face.

🙁

lyons
    Free Member

I need one too, but I'll work anywhere doing anything! Bern a sparky for 8 years but can use a computer/spanner/broom/till … 🙂

anokdale
    Free Member

I cant help directly fellas but good luck anyway – and (bump)your on top again.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Same. Good luck to you. Sounds like you (lyons too) have got some good skills.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

+1, good luck guys.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Main problem seems to be that there simply isn't any work about? Everyone I speak to is 'waiting on the work coming in'.

Same as we were but our company can't afford to wait any more…..

mrmo
    Free Member

i guess it depends on how "desperate" you are, what you want to do and where you are, I was made redundant end of march, started looking and had an offer by the 10th april, start monday. Money isn't brilliant, not to bad though and certainly more than the dole.

They have verbally said that after a training period they will match what i was on at the last job, we shall see.

All i can say is keep looking something will come up, but you may need to be flexible,

trail_rat
    Free Member

Willing to move ? fair bit of work kicking round aberdeen atm – draughtsman anyway .

rs
    Free Member

sucks to be in engineering in the uk right now, don't know what ties you have but look abroad if you can.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I'm an Architectural draughtsman, i was made redundant on friday along with six others from our practice. I'm not even going to bother looking for another job in that field.
    My plan at the moment is to have a few months off then in september i'm being moblized to go to Afghanistan with the Royal Engineers.
    Hopefully when i come back in a years time things will have picked up over here.

landy813
    Free Member

september i'm being moblized to go to Afghanistan with the Royal Engineers

Best of luck Rockhopper.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

trail rat, can't move as have house, wife and 3 kids to support. However, I would travel up there as I can stay at my parents mid-week, they are about an hour from Aberdeen.

Do you have any contact details?

Cheers

Flaperon

Ended up rewording my CV to remove my qualifications (degree etc) and dropped my GCSE and A-level grades down a few notches – got a job driving vans within a week after months of trying. Not brilliant pay, but it covered the bills.

Let's face it, no company will hire a skilled employee for a non-skilled job because they're worried that they'll piss off after a few months to go back to their true vocation.

In all fairness, that's exactly what I did, but it was worth it for the look on the boss's face when I told him I was jacking in his Ford Transit to fly the Airbus.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Bad news guys!
    Lyons where are you based?
    As Zed said loads of places waiting for work to come in.
    You would think with Olympics and Commonwealth Games there would be loads of work for sparks etc!

lyons
    Free Member

I am based in Hemel near London, bit quite keen to move somewhere different…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Cheers Landy!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

B&Q Southampton recruiting if that is any use to anyone

iDave
    Free Member

JCB in Staffordshire are recruiting 200 or so…

iDave
    Free Member

worth it for the look on the boss's face when I told him I was jacking in his Ford Transit to fly the Airbus

priceless, but transits are so much better in an ash cloud…

Konastoner
    Free Member

Zed there maybe one here:- Job

I work for the same company, good chances of internal movement, there's a lot of new work comming up in your area.

nickjb
    Free Member

JCB in Staffordshire are recruiting 200 or so..

I've worked with a few ex-JCB people. They are supposed to be a right pain to work for.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

konastoner – many thanks. I'm currently in the water industry, well for the next few days anyway….

Should I send my CV via yourself? I note they have a referal scheme.

Cheers

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i did also the same as some one mentioned. im a motor sport engineer and trying to find a job at the time was a waste of time.

i applied to several garages as a normaly mechanic to get some money in all sayin i was too qualified. i dropped the qualifications and said i was just a trained mechanic and found a job from the next cv i wrote after.

😉

try it, its shit but time and money etc.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Rockhopper, come back safe and well.
    Good luck everybody, keep looking and don't give up 🙂

Konastoner
    Free Member

Zed, best bet is to send your CV in via Clare's email address.

Macavity
    Free Member

Have a look on
    http://www.jobsite.co.uk/

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I've registered, stuck my CV up and applied for a couple of jobs.

One thing I notice though is that almost every agency copies the same ad. I doubt they have anything at all… stll, worth a try.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Zed YGM!!!

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Sorry I can't help, but don't look at Royal Mail, they're about to annouce massive redundancies! 😐

postierich
    Free Member

Sorry I can't help, but don't look at Royal Mail, they're about to annouce massive redundancies!

Tis true,Modernisation agreement been ratified so Mail Centres are about to be closed and there will be lots!!

Lots of jobs recently at our place only partime(25hrs) with shite terms and conditions another 11 fulltimers have been agreed to go on voluntry redundacy.

Ok job to tie you over till some proper work comes along!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘I NEED A JOB!’ is closed to new replies.