Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • I need a coffee bean grinder.
  • andycs

Ok coffee lovers, been using ground coffee for ages, now it’s time for a grinder. But which one?

globalti
    Free Member

Braun KSM2. Been grinding my coffee twice a week for years and still the same simple classic design.

Innes
    Free Member

Time to break into your savings account if some of the previous recommendations are anything to go by.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Cheap way is a Porlex grinder This One or the expensive way is This

sofaking
    Free Member

i bought a 2nd hand gaggia one of here a couple of years ago and its still going strong( touching wood) 🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Krupps Burr.

montylikesbeer
    TooTall
    Free Member

As long as it is a burr you’re in the right direction.

boxfish
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BXIbl2F6gs[/video]

k-sugden
    Free Member

Have a look on here http://www.coffeegeek.com a lot depends on what you drink Espresso needs a better grinder than French Press. you may need a bigger budget than you think.

jeff

Looking for a grinder for espresso machine myself and am on the learning curve. Sounds like hand grinders will take an age to grind enough fine coffee for a few cups.

Burr grinders are better then blade ones it seems.

Going to try out the Krupps Burr Grinder for £35 ish and see how it goes.

Davesport

I can recommend the Rancilio Rocky.Rancilio Rocky Built like a tank & I’ve owned mine for nearly 10 yrs.

Quality remains long after the price is forgotten 8)

MrSmith
    Free Member

ascaso isteel (or an i-mini)

jon1973
    Free Member

genuine guestion – how much difference to the taste does the grinding really make? Is it just to do with grain size?

TooTall
    Free Member

I’ve not had any luck with Krups at all – shoddy cheap tat trading on an old name – like Karrimor these days.

jon – if you use a ‘chopper’ grinder you get bashed up bits of different size and it is all a bit random. This is just about OK for a french press but no use for a proper coffee machine. The burr grinder gives you the consistency of grind rather than just the size – finer for espresso, coarser for filter etc.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

genuine guestion – how much difference to the taste does the grinding really make?

None at all probably, but it makes people feel better about themselves. 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

genuine guestion – how much difference to the taste does the grinding really make? Is it just to do with grain size?

yes, and a good grinder will have consistent grain size, it enables you to grind coffee that matches your machine perfectly so you get the correct dose and ideal pour time. this will mean better tasting coffee.
    it’s all trial and error though you slightly overfill the basket tamp gently and firmly (assuming you have bought a nice shiny stainless steel tamper) if it pisses through too quickly the coffee will be thin and bitter, i then adjust the grinder until it sounds like the machine is going to choke but then the pour starts after a few seconds and lasts about 20sec before blonding*. or if the machine chokes you adjust the grind/dose/tamping the other way.
    a bit of a faff but once done i only ever adjust the grinder half a turn if a new batch of coffee requires a slightly different grind.

*when the coffee goes pale as nothing is being extracted from the grounds

bonj
    Free Member

i’ve got a hario skerton one, makes very good coffee for stove top espresso maker, and it comes as a little jar with a grinder lid and a normal lid, so doubles as a container.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I changed from a blade to a burr grinder and noticed the difference in quality straight away – much better crema, more controlled pour.

Then I started to buy fresh beans direct off the internet (personal favourite are Whittard’s Guatemalan Elephant). I find that way the beans are much fresher and I can see the oils on the beans (which, I assume, mean better crema).

MrSmith
    Free Member

I find that way the beans are much fresher and I can see the oils on the beans (which, I assume, mean better crema).

it doesn’t mean that at all, if anything it means over roasted.
    it is no indicator of quality or a better crema

coffeeking
    Free Member

Spong.

MrSmith
    Free Member

reported for name calling.

coffeeking
    Free Member

😀

slowclimb
    Free Member

I’ve got the Krups burr grinder, £35 from John Lewis and I think its great.
    I would love a Rancilio but budget dictates this and my Baby Gaggia is what I need! That, decent cups and beans from here: http://www.artisanroast.co.uk/ and you’re sorted!

freddyg
    Free Member

What is your budget?

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned these yet. Excellent value for money.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘I need a coffee bean grinder.’ is closed to new replies.