Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • I made another video of Scotland…
  • AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

So I went for a trip up the west coast of Scotland with my best mate and our bikes back in October, we spent a week up there and took a fair bit of footage with the FoOtie and I’m finally getting round to editing it all down to something watchable now, I have already done one…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/i-made-a-video-of-scotland

This is the second day… We stayed in a little bunkhouse in a valley just north of lochalsh which was everything you could want from a bunkhouse, small, cosy, basic, wood burning stove, Willie (who features on the video) was an especially nice man putting the fire on for us coming in, bringing us eggs in the morning and even washing all our clothes!

We aimed for a bit of an epic and decided to ignore willies advice not to ride a path up the side of the falls of glomach which we later regretted! (You will see why) It was a bit steep! The path down was actually pretty decent but we were sodden wet and got 3 punctures on bloody drainage ditched and ended up having to bail. Luckily there was a gamekeeper out shooting deer in the next galley from us who we managed to catch and hitch a ride back down the valley with, noticing we were freezing he sat us in the cab of the Argo-cat which was full of deer!

We got hack soaked and cold but thankfully Willie had put a fire on for us!

Enjoy! Opinions welcome as I still have 3 more days to do, apologies for the rain on the lens… It was a bit wet! Hope it doesn’t ruin the video.

http://vimeo.com/56470128

twang
    Free Member

Linky no worky…

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Think its because I’ve done it from my phone and the link was to the mobile site, try now?

martinxyz
    Free Member

Works fine. Nice one!

jimmy

nice. keep thinking i should explore more of this country…

What’s the first tune that kicks in at around 40 seconds?

deluded
    Free Member

That was good – & I was introduced to an ace track named What Else Is There by Royksopp, so cheers!

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

The track is RJD2 – Ghostwriter

stanfree
    Free Member

Looks great and Scotland is indeed a great country but the guy at the door in the first 30 seconds looks like an alcoholic so that puts me off . (despite being Scottish).

somafunk

Another nice vid that makes me want to get out and ride, you really should listen to the locals though 😀 , but i’ve made the same mistake in the past (so i can fully sympathise wi your climb) after looking at maps and having my heart set on a pre-planned route that i was strongly advised against attempting, 4 miles of hike-a-bike through foot high tussocks and peat bog is not much fun.

The descent looks good fun and not much margin for error which i like, i’m afraid waterbars are an increasing occurrence on the hill paths up here so it sometimes pays to pump your rear tyre up a bit, they’re generally easy enough to hop over but some do catch you unawares due to the terrain or drops nearby or sometimes you come across a rapid succession of them that is impossible to hop.

Good wee vid, and i like how you sympathised wi your mate at 4mins in.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Na he wasnt an alcoholic, he was Willie and was super nice!

Soma – Usually I would but you know what its like, most dont know what mountain biking is so you ask about a path with any sign of a few rocks and they think ohhhh youll never ride your bike down that! but usually its the best tracks! so we risked it! It just mean hike-a-bike instead of ride up which wasn’t so bad!

Yeah decent was alright but not the best we had all week, like something a bit more technical, ltos of margin for error is more fun 😉 …. yes pesky drainage channels, although it was the guy with his tyres pumped up with dual ply tyres that got the flat! my single ply softies were fine!

Yeh, despite nearly falling off a cliff we had a laugh!

Johnbot
    Free Member

Go on then anus what was the best decent you had all week and where’s the video? 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Another nice video but it would have been obvious from the map that the climb wasn’t rideable.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

John – I’m new to this video making melarky, give me a few weeks and I might make another one ;)… I have a day on Skye (around the Quiraing and the Old man of Storr) and two days in Torridon to bring you yet!

Druid – Quite probably it was obvious on the map, we were not too bothered about the old hike-a-bike, it was the treacherous drop that scared us!

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve walked that path and can confirm that the video didn’t quite emphasise the drop sufficiently 🙂

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

ah really? that’s cool, at least one of you knows how scary it was then! It was an experience anyway! Did you just walk up to the falls and back or do a larger route? We were aiming to go over that path, then up the valley the the Morvich centre and into the head of Glen Affric and back down… we should have just drove round to the Morvich centre and done the 2nd half of the route and drove back in retrospect! Nice waterfalls though

druidh
    Free Member

I walked up from Morvich, over the munro of A’ Ghlas Bheinn, down to the falls, down the scary path and back up again then through the bealach back to Morvich. As you say, the loop from Morvich – Glen Lichd – Camban – Bealach an Sgairne – Morvich would have been more than enough for a good day out 🙂

glupton1976
    Free Member

Did anyone else put a foot out when he fell off where there was a rather big drop to the one side?

druidh
    Free Member

I just found this photo I took at the summit of A’Ghlas Bheinn.

2005-03-19 100354 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘I made another video of Scotland…’ is closed to new replies.