Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • I just managed to Dock on Elite :-) (Oolite)
  • RooleyMoor
    Free Member

FRAK! oh what a game.. I use to love playing that.. Could never get to grips with Elite, but liked Combat Lynx.

aracer
    Free Member

I so do not need to waste my time d/ling and playing that…

Should I get v1.72 or v1.65?

Never had any problems docking that I can remember, though that was with an analogue joystick on a BBC B, which had to make things a lot easier.

Harry_the_Spider

Arse, arse, arse.
    Just bumbled my way over to the next system with a cargo full of **** grass clippings whilst avoiding anything armed with more than a catapult… only to bump into the sodding space station.
    Arse, arse, arse.
    So, I’ve just hacked the save file and boosted my credit to £1000000. I’ll be off to the big gun and docking computer shop in the morning.

aracer
    Free Member

What exactly is the point of cheating with this?

scuttler

@Harry_the_spider “Just bumbled my way over to the next system with a cargo full of **** grass clippings whilst avoiding anything armed with more than a catapult… only to bump into the sodding space station.
    Arse, arse, arse.”

PSML – Spat tea all over the keyboard.

molgrips
    Free Member

Docking:

Fly at station, stop, fly towards planet, turn round fly back to station you will be right in front of it. Wait for the slot to become horizontal and hit the throttle. So simple it’s nothing at all.

Harry_the_Spider

aracer – Member
    What exactly is the point of cheating with this?

You sound like my mum.
    No time for selling root vegetables to ore miners. I want to be out there with a hold full of guns and crack, rucking with the big guys.

z1ppy

damn anyone know why it keeps crashing?

I seriously want to waste time on this again!

Harry_the_Spider

It (program) keeps crashing or you (would be star trader and trainee astronaut) keep crashing?

If it is the latter practice your docking as Molgrips describes.

or alter your save file with this

<key>credits</key>
    <integer>100000000</integer>

and boost your bank balance

z1ppy

sorry it’s the program that keeps crashing, I docked enough back in the old days I reckon I should be able to do that without much hassle…

redthunder
    Free Member

@zippy

What OS and version are you running ?

ski
    Free Member

or alter your save file with this

<key>credits</key>
    <integer>100000000</integer>

and boost your bank balance

Wonder what else you can play about with, runs off to have a look………….

andrew
    Free Member

Elite. The best game there ever was (rosy-tint retroglasses)

I seem to remember a game called Apocalypse that was spread over two tapes. I played it once and loved it. And then the tapes died.

Philosopher’s Quest? Did that exist? (and Zork, was that real?) Also I seem to remember a JCB Digger game called JCB Digger or something similar. Hunchback or Quasimodo? (Ocean Games?)

God, my memory is ****.

aracer
    Free Member

You sound like my mum.
    No time for selling root vegetables to ore miners. I want to be out there with a hold full of guns and crack, rucking with the big guys.

…and get on with your homework right now.

z1ppy

Redthunder – XP sp2…
    (works firewall is blocking half the website, so can’t check out any solutions on there)

mcboo
    Free Member

I could never see the point of trading anything other than narcotics. Fast forward 25 years I’m watching The Wire, can kind of see where Stringer and his boys are coming from.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Damn, its taken me long enough to get over my ‘getting to know Chuckie Egg 2 again’ addiction.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I even managed to complete that strange mission where you have to shoot up all those dodgy aliens. Or did I just dream that bit up on the game.

Oh yeah – was that the one where you got interrupted half way through hyperspace and immediately attacked. Oooh, it’s all coming back…..where’s that link…

Ah yes, the Thargoids. Inter-hyperspace bad-asses. Anyway, I swear Elite was bugged. I was Deadly for 2 years & gave up.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I used to fly up to the space station, blast it a few times with military lasers, wait for the cops to show, blast them and run away…pointless but fun…those were the days *sigh*

mudshark
    Free Member

I was Deadly for 2 years & gave up.

Was that on the Speccy? I never got to Elite on that. I was Archangel on Elite Plus though!

So what are the coolest ship additions? Cloaking device? Anti-ECM?

redthunder
    Free Member

380 Credits….. just about to make more and pissed it all away on docking because the phone rang….. Grump.

deus

Anybody tried X3 reunion, how does it compare?

i like nice graphics 😀

PJM1974
    Free Member

I picked this up over the weekend and spent all yesterday trying to get the hang of docking while stepsons 1 and 2 played Call of Duty on their PS3.

It’s so annoying that you can’t save a game unless you’re docked… Grr…

I’m currently sitting on 521 credits after five successful hyperspace jumps. I managed to destroy a pirate too. Woo! However, I cannot for the life of me find the save game directory so I can’t edit my credits.

🙁

argyle
    Free Member

elite, strikers run, citadel some game where you were a magician that could morph into a cat or a bird etc and then later in life harlequin. all responsible for missing chunks of my life, we’ll not even get into how much i lost to final fantasy 7…

simonm
    Free Member

Combat Lynx.

wow, I forgot all about that one.. didnt it have a million controls ?

simonm
    Free Member

arghh, wish I hadnt google it… I remember it as shit hot.. it isnt !

Torminalis
    Free Member

I was a massive fan of the Dizzy games on the spectrum. Kept me entertained for months.

verses

Why is there no Android port of this?! 😉

slowjo
    Free Member

Haven’t read all the threads but did anyone do the mission where you ran into a system where the sun was about to go supernova? It just wiped you out.

I played it on my top of the range 286 with 86kb of RAM and a 20MB hard drive with a colout monitor. (I used to sneak back to work at weekends to play – I didn’t have a pc at home).

Starglider, that was the other one. Coloured lines roughly approximating to space ships blatting round the screen! Woo hoo!

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Thanks for that! My chances of getting any work done at all is now 0………..

simonralli2
    Free Member

I think for the young-uns on here who grew up with playstations and the like, you need to know why Elite was so amazing. Basically us lot at school were stepping up from dross like this to 128 kilobytes of BBC micro heaven! Awesome days!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/simonralli/4290569231/]20th January[/url] by simon ralli, on Flickr

slowjo
    Free Member

What was a “pocket simon”?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Then there’s this

I first played it in 1993 on my Amiga 1200, the space combat isn’t as good, but the fact that you can land at London, zoom out to view a large clock which corresponds to the time on the game astounded me at the time. Lots to do and plenty of depth.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Pocket simon was a little one of these!

uphillcursing
    Free Member

This is now more addictive than lurking on here! I am now fit for nothing for the next few days…

Creg

I need to get my old laptop working so I can get my Oolite saves off it…and then kiss goodbye to a few days out of my life playing it

andytherocketeer

Still the best game ever imho. Who cares about photorealistic imagaery? Only reason I don’t play it (plus Frontier, Oolite, or that online pay-for equivalent) now is because I’d be addicted.

Amstrad CPC version had a handy bug… leave Space Station, Hyperspace to Destination, hit Pause, Save Game, then you’d be in the Destination Space Station 🙂 Makes trading Narcotics and other dodgy stuff easy, no Police Viper ships, then go clean, and buy up all the Military Lasers etc. when you have basically shedloads of Credits.

clubber
    Free Member

Model B Elite for me – only every got up to Deady and never progressed beyond that unfortunately – got a bit bored eventually because the Model B version didn’t have the missions.

There was a cheat to get the mid-hyperspace Tharg invasion – just hit tab lots while the hyperspace countdown was going. I used to do that and then blow up an energy bomb to kill them all 🙂

Model B with the F keys note under the clear plastic strip, anyone?

Cougar

Starglider, that was the other one.

Made me buy an ST, that did. Saw it at a mates and was blown away.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

For those who got stuck at Deadly on original Elite, you needed to do the Constrictor special mission. This wasn’t on the BBC tape version. I also remember having to type in thousands of lines of code to get Military Lasers via a save editor, and deducted the cost from my money as cheating was for suckers.

Tab for Thargoids was awesome.

I had a voltmace analog joystick, happy days.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘I just managed to Dock on Elite :-) (Oolite)’ is closed to new replies.