Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • I hope this doesn't earn me a ban….
  • bearnecessities

..but I’ve had a bit of a poop day as it is, but things like this really boils my wee.

I think I’m a nice chap, I try to be polite and try to ensure people are happy, but this kind of stuff I find really offensive for the blatant opportunist element.. I got quite angry when I read this, then I ate some pizza, but to be honest I’m still a bit angry….

I might be wrong, the guy might be lovely and a great husband/son/father…but just to be that blunt with such an effortless and ridiculously insulting offer just pisses me off.

I’d give it to someone if I though it would make someone happy, but for someone with the literary prowess of a stale walnut to offer £400 tomorrow in case I lose my load at the opportunity of seeing £400 0f notes in my hand?

It might be just me, but I find it really f’ing rude.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-gia-certified-diamond-ring-056ct-colour-e-si1-diamond-18ct-rose-gold

footflaps

I’d say it’s you.

Nought wrong with a low offer you can but say no.

Jamie
    Free Member

*deletes post offering £350*

eggshellblonde
    Free Member

Not sure why you’d be angry. He(?) has made you a shoot offer you are entitled to say no. whats the beef?

Edit- a phrase I never thought i’d type “whats the beef?” 😀

Edukator
    Free Member

You’re selling something not exactly bike related on a bike site and then get upset when someone makes a humourous post. I find that funny which you will probably find rude too.

footflaps

I’ve had much lower offers (by ratio) on Ebay for stuff. I just reply ‘no thanks’.

Junkyard
    Free Member

its very cheeky and they know it

you refused

Move on I say

Not sure viral marketing is your thing as whilst you have drawn attention to your add you have not necessarily endered yourself to customers
    You are not Brant and I dont claim my hand built part to our design catalogue spec Chinese part

bruneep

“Reports for advertising for sale post on main forum.”

Bregante

soops – Member
    oops sorry! Hic!

Come on OP, haven’t we all said (typed) something we’ve regretted when drunk? 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

It’s you.
    You’ve some emotion attached with the item, the other person hasn’t.

LenHankie

Can see it’s annoying, but he said sorry before you posted this.

Jamie
    Free Member

To be fair to the OP, this sounds like the poo icing on a pretty crappy cake of a day. Maybe on it’s own it wouldn’t have sparked off such a horrendous chain of events such as this thread.

Oh, and I think the guy has had a few beers, so it’s a free pass from me.

Edric64
    Free Member

Well used rings are not worth much so he chanced his arm didn`t he? just say no ,dont be offended

Junkyard
    Free Member

chanced his arm in a well used ring [MODS NO ]

bearnecessities

but he said sorry before you posted this.

Yes he did, withdrawn my rant…

footflaps

It’s you.
    You’ve some emotion attached with the item, the other person hasn’t.

Ah yes, hadn’t spotted it was an engagement ring….

bigG
    Free Member

Get over yourself. You’re selling something, he made you an offer lower than you want. just refuse it and see if he improves the offer, although I guess that’s unlikely now you’ve made a bit of a nugget of yourself and insulted him.

Jamie
    Free Member

Yes he did, withdrawn my rant…

What? Have some commitment, man! A captain should go down with his ship.

Houns

Wasn’t really a rant more off whinge

However, guessing as you’re selling an engagement ring you’re obviously very emotional. I expected a falling down moment

dannybgoode

‘Tis a very nice ring and a fair price but even when you state no offers people are going to have a bid.

OK £400 is chancing it somewhat but generally when haggling the buyer starts off ridiculously low and then you meet somewhere in the middle.

To cheer you up a bit just watch how Brian (as in Life of Brian) handles it…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3LL338aGA[/video]

Cheers

Danny B

Jamie
    Free Member

However, guessing as you’re selling an engagement ring you’re obviously very emotional. I expected a falling down moment

Quick, Houns! He is vulnerable, and on the rebound. GO IN FOR THE KiLL!

bearnecessities

What? Have some commitment, man! A captain should go down with his ship.

FFS, in the spirit of this place, reinstated…

Get over yourself. You’re selling something, he made you an offer lower than you want. just refuse it and see if he improves the offer, although I guess that’s unlikely now you’ve made a bit of a nugget of yourself and insulted him.

Epenis is large in you; wanna get engaged?

Jamie
    Free Member

FFS, in the spirit of this place, reinstated…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

A quick phone call to the chap should suffice

“I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want. but I can tell you I won’t except that offer or that sort of insult. but i can tell you what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you apologise now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you”

Houns

If he promises to push back…. I’ll get down on one knee

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ll get down on one knee

Play your cards right, and you’ll get a ring out of it.

project
    Free Member

So you paid 2200 for a bit of metal and then got it valued as a bit of metal for 2450, as somebody who knows nothing about jewelry, its just worth probably a teenner to me.

Where as a bike,tv, camera etc all have a value in the use youll make of them and can be easier seen as value, or the amount youre wiling to reduce the price by.

SH ring,litle value unleess you tell peeps the percieved value you paid for it.

bearnecessities

‘Tis a very nice ring and a fair price but even when you state no offers people are going to have a bid

Rather boringly, that’s my point – decent jewellers today said top dollar £1150 private sale, min value £800, so I went with lowest value, kinda hoping some poor sod might be able to make someone else happy.

…I took the offer of £400 quite badly, possibly reads too much into it, but I did.

dannybgoode

Would you take £450?

<goes and hides…>

bearnecessities

as somebody who knows nothing about spelling, its just worth probably a teenner to me

FTFY

shifter
    Free Member

You always get chancers with jewellery. I tried to sell a similar ring a few years ago but wasn’t prepared to give it away, so I still have it!

That said “no offers” never works. Should’ve put it up for £1200 ono…

richpips
    Free Member

£800 is tops you’d get in a private sale imho. Having bought and sold similar in the past.

geoffj

No offers or firm prices are guaranteed to piss people off. There is always room for negotiation.

bearnecessities

£800 is tops you’d get in a private sale imho. Having bought and sold similar in the past.

Cheers, but have been offered 600 in a shop already; who admitted they would put it up for around £1k.

No offers or firm prices are guaranteed to piss people off

Wouldn’t piss me off. I’d either accept their stance or walk away, not offer them half their asking price. Besides, he’s already apologised so I feel a bit bad, but you can’t defend that stance as a sober person; assuming you are.

dannybgoode

These people give top dollar prices apparently…

geoffj

but you can’t defend that stance as a sober person; assuming you are.

Eh? Maybe pisses off is too strong a phrase, but it certainly doesn’t entice me into thinking about buying something.

What if you’d been offered £750 or £775?

yunki
    Free Member

My dad died when i was six years old and he left me a rose gold signet ring.. I took it to the pawnbrokers when i was fourteen and short of hash and was offered the princely sum of £12..

I took the cash 😥

bearnecessities

What if you’d been offered £750 or £775?

Reasonable point; especially as I like to haggle. Noted.

bruneep

No worse than the comedy offers I got when selling a £2.5k bike.

You are obviously a bit tender about why you are selling.

bearnecessities

Ah Yunki, you were 14 FFS. I’m sure your Pop would be laughing now at your impetuousness!

I bet he’d kick your ass more if you spent £2200 on a ring that you ended up selling 2 years on for £3.50 and a bag of ready salted 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘I hope this doesn't earn me a ban….’ is closed to new replies.